Young Washed Up Dude Alert

HoosierCat

from pft...

RAIDERS DUMP MIKE WILLIAMS

An industry source tells us that the Oakland Raiders have parted ways with receiver Mike Williams.

Williams, the tenth overall pick of the Lions in the 2005 draft, had been a major disappointment during his time in the NFL. He was traded in the 2007 offseason to the Raiders, and some thought that the reunion with coach Lane Kiffin, who worked with Williams at USC, would turn his career around.

It didn't, and so Williams is done.

He'll be subjected to the waiver system. If he clears waivers, he'll be free to sign with any team.

Williams initially was headed to the draft in 2004, by virtue of the trial court ruling in the Maurice Clarett litigation. But because Williams hired an agent before the Clarett case was reversed, Williams was not permitted to return to USC. He entered the 2005 draft after sitting out a full year of football.

He & Palmer had a pretty good thing going back in his freshman year @ USC. Palmer had this to say about him back in 2003:

"Mike is a tremendous talent," Palmer said. "He's real mature and the type of guy that makes quarterbacks look real good. I know that all I had to do was put [the ball] up there and he was going to go get it."

Sign em? :huh:

I don't care who he "teamed up with" back in college he's a two time loser!

The days of us signing other teams cast-offs has got to stop people. I mean c'mon, its the freak'n Raiders for Pete's sakes!!! <_<

Is he big enough to play linebacker?

:lmao::lmao:

The days of us signing other teams cast-offs has got to stop people. I mean c'mon, its the freak'n Raiders for Pete's sakes!!! <_<

That's just it, it's the Raiders. And the Lions. Not exactly hotbeds of quality quarterbacking.

More I think about it, the more bringing him in makes sense. Like scooter said, anything's better than Chatman at this point. And if a reunion with Palmer resulted in good things, then the team gains options when it comes to Chad's attitude, TJs desire for more dough, and Henry's behavior. If OTOH he flops here, we let him walk and lose...nothing.

I don't follow these things all that closely (I have been accused of having an under-developed sense of apathy about what wide receivers say to the press), but I have a faint recollection of some bru-ha-ha involving Williams prior to the Raiders trade. I may be mistaken. In any event, what in the world happened to him? I know he was drafted too high, but there's a long stretch between that and getting cut a couple of year into your career. Did he forget how to catch? Was he (as claimed around draft time) too slow for the NFL? Absent some glaring and dreaded "character" problem, I would have no objection to the Bengals taking a look at him. God knows, they've had a few scrubs through as WR candidates that I'd never heard of at all. I'm conditionally with HC -- low risk, potentially high reward.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot -- SIGN 'EM

More I think about it, the more bringing him in makes sense.

Okay Hoosier, I know times are tough right now. I know the future looks bleak but take a deep breath and stand back from your computer for a few moments please.

This guy washed out of two of the worst run orginazations in all of Pro Football. He couldn't cut it in freak'n Detroit and Oakland. When did "Weird" Al Davis ever give up on anybody who still had a body temperature north of zero!?!

Besides, his presence would only lead the team to use another excuse why they don't take a decent WR in the draft or sign a better one in FA.

Trust me, we do not want Mike Williams!

I don't follow these things all that closely (I have been accused of having an under-developed sense of apathy about what wide receivers say to the press), but I have a faint recollection of some bru-ha-ha involving Williams prior to the Raiders trade. I may be mistaken. In any event, what in the world happened to him? I know he was drafted too high, but there's a long stretch between that and getting cut a couple of year into your career. Did he forget how to catch? Was he (as claimed around draft time) too slow for the NFL? Absent some glaring and dreaded "character" problem, I would have no objection to the Bengals taking a look at him. God knows, they've had a few scrubs through as WR candidates that I'd never heard of at all. I'm conditionally with HC -- low risk, potentially high reward.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot -- SIGN 'EM

:sure: I haven't heard of any character issues, but I think there was bad blood between him and the Lions (blowing off minicamp-type stuff). The Lions used the "too slow" excuse when they traded him to the Raiders but I have no idea if it's true. As for what happened to him, remember he lost a year when he followed MoClo out early and then the NFL wouldn't let him in, and he couldn't go back to UCLA...then gets drafted by the Lions. That's enough to screw up anyone's career.

Bengals1 is right folks. Didn't we learn our lesson about worthless Raiders castoffs when we signed Chuck (I can't count to eleven) Bresnahan? :o

Henry will be back soon enough... no thanks.

Having Chris Henry back will be the sole reason the Bengals win anymore games from this point on. If Bratkowski and the offense can't make it happen, it won't happen.

Henry coming back keeps us from looking at him, but if not for that, I couldn't really see the down side to bringing him in for nothing and seeing if he and Palmer could strike up anything. We OBVIOUSLY still don't have a 3rd WR and no depth after Henry comes back, so he couldnt be much worse than what we already have and if he is, we cut him and are not out that much of anything. Considering he played in Detroit and Oakland (Wow what great QB's they have to throw to the WR's) him being given another chance on a team with a better than average QB wouldn't suprise me one bit...

WHODEY !!!

Williams has a had a tough go, he got drafted by the Lions and got hurt his rookie season. Then they hire Martz who prefers smaller, quicker wr's like Holt and tried to make Williams lose weight and this all this other non-sense to make him the type of receiver Martz prefers. Needless to say that didn't work out and Williams ended up in Oakland, he had a decent preseason and he got some pt but last week he dropped a crucial catch on 4th down and now he's cut.

Maybe his work ethic needs improving, I don't know but he's talented and with Perry on the IR I wouldn't mind seeing him in stripes.

You guys act as if signing Mike Williams would be equivalent to entering into a marriage.

Sign the guy for dirt cheap, and if he doesn't work out cut him in a week. If he doesn't want to go anywhere for dirt cheap, then we take a pass. I can't imagine him demanding any kind of serious salary at this point, though.

Bengals1 is right folks. Didn't we learn our lesson about worthless Raiders castoffs when we signed Chuck (I can't count to eleven) Bresnahan? :o

If Randy Moss looked like crap w/ the Raiders what makes you think anyone could play well there?

It's the Raiders way of pawning the blame off on someone else. I mean the decision to throw to your fourth receiver on fourth and 14 is a bad decision. Williams didn't make the catch so he became expandable. He makes the catch, we're not having this conversation.

And this brings up the bigger question in this scenario. If the Raiders are playing so poorly right now and their lack of performance at the quarterback spot has hurt them. Why is Russell still sitting on the bench?

If Randy Moss looked like crap w/ the Raiders what makes you think anyone could play well there?

great point

You guys act as if signing Mike Williams would be equivalent to entering into a marriage.

Sign the guy for dirt cheap, and if he doesn't work out cut him in a week. If he doesn't want to go anywhere for dirt cheap, then we take a pass. I can't imagine him demanding any kind of serious salary at this point, though.

I agree with that. The guy was an absolute beast in College. What harm could it do to give this guy a tryout? It's not like we don't need help in the red zone.

I agree with that. The guy was an absolute beast in College. What harm could it do to give this guy a tryout? It's not like we don't need help in the red zone.

He'd take up a roster spot that's why. Knowing Marvin Lewis, probably a linebacker! <_<

Pass. Williams is too slow, negates his own size advantage by not being physical, and has a reputation dating back to USC of not working hard enough to improve.

Gee. That's not exactly a list of qualities one would look for in a wide receiver...