Bench Levi Jones

gregstephens

Meh,I dislike the false starts but Kenny had alot of nice runs coming off that left side and carson was getting hit very much...

The false starts were bad but levi was leaps and bounds better then last week.

Yah. Another 2-3 weeks & Levi will be OK...hope we have the time...

I'm no offensive line guru but I've been a little bewildered by all the talk of benching/canning Levi Jones. The LT position is a very specialized position and guys are hand picked and scouted as early as high school for this position. LT's typically make way more than the rest of the o-line in terms of salary and incentives. That being said, who the hell are we going to replace him with?? LT isn't like any other o-line position in that you can't just switch guys around from RG to LG to RT.

Levi was hand picked for this position and in my mind anyone you replace him with - unless you find a hard-charger in the draft next year - is going to be a big roll of the dice.

Am I wrong here guys? Like I said - I'm no offensive genius - this is just seems a little rediculous to talk about replacing this position on a whim.

For what it's worth - I was thinking this even before Levi pulled himself together last night.

I'm no offensive line guru but I've been a little bewildered by all the talk of benching/canning Levi Jones. The LT position is a very specialized position and guys are hand picked and scouted as early as high school for this position. LT's typically make way more than the rest of the o-line in terms of salary and incentives. That being said, who the hell are we going to replace him with?? LT isn't like any other o-line position in that you can't just switch guys around from RG to LG to RT.

Levi was hand picked for this position and in my mind anyone you replace him with - unless you find a hard-charger in the draft next year - is going to be a big roll of the dice.

Am I wrong here guys? Like I said - I'm no offensive genius - this is just seems a little rediculous to talk about replacing this position on a whim.

For what it's worth - I was thinking this even before Levi pulled himself together last night.

I agree. I seen the whole situation as a "slump" and Levi just seemed depressed about the injury, playing time, and so on... He made a mistake by saying some of the things to the media and he apologized for it. Lets move on... Levi, Whitworth, Guychek, Big Bobbie, and Willie is one hell of an offensive line... Levi's probably never in his football life had to deal with the competition he's facing with Withworth and the fact that he could loose his job. That's gotta be pretty hard on the fella. I just want to see him get back to playing football the way we all know he can! He looked good last night.

I couldn't believe those two drive stopping false starts Jones had in the first quarter. Perhaps this thread should read 'Cut Levi Jones'.

Houshmandzadeh defended left tackle Levi Jones' two false-start penalties on the first two series. He said the Jets were trying to simulate the Bengals snap counts.

"If could hear it from the receiver's position, I'm sure the refs could hear it

Can we change the title to cut "gregstephens"...I'm just sayin..

That being said, who the hell are we going to replace him with?? LT isn't like any other o-line position in that you can't just switch guys around from RG to LG to RT.

Truthfully I'd be fine with whitworth as a starting left tackle,but I don't wanna replace levi if he can get his A game back because him and whitworth in at same time would be better then just 1 of them.

Two things:

1. TJ said the Jets were up to their old illegal tricks and were simulating bengals snap counts, which he believes caused Jones' false starts. fwiw, the Ravens complained about the same thing with the Jets a few weeks back.

2. When Jones is on the field and close to healthy, the Bengals have a running game. When he isn't, they don't. I'm willing to give him time to settle in...

The Bengals ran the Ball behind Levi and Whittworth 75% of the time during the game, and did so well. That wasn't a fluke. Like Levi said in an article, he just needed to shake some of the rust off that had collected from his lack of playing time. He also admitted to getting away from his game of speed and angles, and instead trying to be a pounder like Whittworth.

Put me in the camp that thinks he'll play his way out of the slump. In fact, he got stronger and played better as the game went on.

BTW, Levi actually got away with several false starts that weren't called, including on the play just prior to his first penalty. My friends and I were actually commenting on how much he was moving on that play and aftrer watching it on replay several times we all wondered how the refs could have missed it. His hips move, his shoulders sway back and forth....but nothing. Then he barely flinches on the following play and the whistle blows.

Put me in the camp that thinks he'll play his way out of the slump. In fact, he got stronger and played better as the game went on.

BTW, Levi actually got away with several false starts that weren't called, including on the play just prior to his first penalty. My friends and I were actually commenting on how much he was moving on that play and aftrer watching it on replay several times we all wondered how the refs could have missed it. His hips move, his shoulders sway back and forth....but nothing. Then he barely flinches on the following play and the whistle blows.

Perhaps the ref knew he blew the call, or had someone else point it out to him, so he was watching like a hawk on the next play.

The Bengals ran the Ball behind Levi and Whittworth 75% of the time during the game, and did so well. That wasn't a fluke.

Agreed. I lost count of how many plays that started with Levi either blocking down or kicking out...creating a lane...while Whitworth blocked a DT then peeled off and picked off a LB at the second level...with Whitworth's initial target getting more attention from the FB. Real straight ahead stuff with none of the pulling we've all come to expect from the OLG position. Huge props to Ghiacuic, too.

I seen it too... I'm not calling false start for swaying though.

Glad Levi's getting some well deserved support. He did a great job.