Chad being Chad

HairOnFire

From Jay Galzer....

Bengals blues

Once again the Bengals embarrassed themselves on Monday night by imploding on national television. It prompted the usually calm Marvin Lewis to lose it on the team after the game, one that saw Chad Johnson throw another fit for all to see.

What people didn't see was Johnson's anger behind closed doors during halftime. It was another case of "Chad being Chad."

However, for the first time I can remember, "Chad being Chad" is starting to wear off as an excuse on members of the organization.

According to sources, Johnson was screaming, ranting and raving at halftime. He again had to be calmed by teammates.

"It was him bringing attention on himself once again," said one source. "It's ridiculous."

Lewis ripped into his players, telling them they need to start playing and practicing with urgency and speed again. In fact, at one point this week in practice guys were lolly-gagging back and forth to the huddle. Lewis drove his golf cart onto the field and ripped into his guys again, imploring them to practice with urgency. The message was simple: let's get back into the habit of playing with discipline and it has to start in practice.

However, the one fear in this equation remains Johnson.

"I think our guys are going to respond, I really do," said one source. "The problem is that one guy can ruin it if he pulls his ‘Chad being Chad' act if we turn it around. We just can't have it anymore."

By the way, at least Johnson admitted this week that he was at fault for running over the safety instead of across his face on the Carson Palmer interception that prompted Johnson's on-field tirade.

That too was a first.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7307318

Ugh yes a broken record, but i really wonder how much these guys actully listin to what Marvin has to say i bet when he turns his back they all look at each other and laugh. All u ever hear from these guys anymore or stupid guarntees, guys on probation, guys getting arrested, and then guys getting suspended. This whole year is getting so annoying and im tired of hearing all of this. I just want a year where guys go out and play toghter as a team with heart and try everydown without guys in trouble or makeing stupid guarntees or fighting or not having the urgency to do anything, so yes a broken record it is.

Chad just wants to win. Period. He's trying but is drawing heavy coverage without Henry in the lineup. I'm glad he's upset and yelling at people. There needs to be more of it. Especially on the defensive side of the ball where I saw a distinct lack of yelling.

In this Marine's humble opinion I think the Bengals should get R. Lee Ermey in to spend a few days yelling at those players slacking off on the team!

gunny.jpg

here is an option....f'ing bench him...and the next guy who whines or sasses, bench him too. Guess what, you don't get to play if you don't do it "my way"...that will get some reaction.

F all the guys who refuse to be professionals, this is just ridiculous.

Let's just see who thinks it is fun and games just riding pine, watching the season implode all because these guys are a bunch of whining babies.

time to grow up

here is an option....f'ing bench him...and the next guy who whines or sasses, bench him too. Guess what, you don't get to play if you don't do it "my way"...that will get some reaction.

Whining? Get real. He wasn't whining. He was BERATING! There's a huge difference! His team was getting whipped and he didn't like it. Neither did I. I sincerely hopes he keeps it up, but don't stop with yelling at your QB. (Yes, I don't belive Carson is above being yelled at) Berate your offensive line for not giving Palmer time to find the open receiver, or opening holes for the running game to get established. Yell at the special teams for their poor play. Yell at the defense for not being able to contain and tackle!

Give 'em a piece of your mind Chad!! :angry:

Sure. Let's throw in all the good players while we're at it. :rolleyes:

It seems you're only interested in seeing discipline restored if it doesn't involve the Bengals best player.

I say it starts there.

I mentioned nothing about wanting disipline restored. In fact I don't consider this conduct by Chad a lack of it. The only thing lacking on the Bengals is the amount of people being berated (a word I did use) for not performing up to par. If Chad wants to yell a people for that, fine with me. They sure got it coming IMHO. That is my point.

Whining? Get real. He wasn't whining. He was BERATING! There's a huge difference!

Well, probably the guy who just F'd up isn't the one who should be doing the berating. Unless he wants to berate himself.

but don't stop with yelling at your QB. (Yes, I don't belive Carson is above being yelled at) Berate your offensive line for not giving Palmer time to find the open receiver, or opening holes for the running game to get established. Yell at the special teams for their poor play. Yell at the defense for not being able to contain and tackle!

To me, indiscriminate yelling wears thin. If some guy is slacking, yell at him. If he keeps brain cramping, yell at him. But to just start yelling at people because you're pissed about losing is dumb. They're all in the same boat, nobody's happy about losing. So should everybody yell at everybody? That's not going to work.

Particularly in this case - the WR who runs the wrong route should not be yelling at the QB who put the ball in the right spot.

And yelling at your QB on national TV is a really bonehead move in any case. Particularly a QB like Carson who doesn't show you up. Ask Chad this - when's the last time Carson embarassed him on national TV for dropping passes? He needs to learn some respect.

Whining? Get real. He wasn't whining. He was BERATING! There's a huge difference! His team was getting whipped and he didn't like it. Neither did I. I sincerely hopes he keeps it up, but don't stop with yelling at your QB. (Yes, I don't belive Carson is above being yelled at) Berate your offensive line for not giving Palmer time to find the open receiver, or opening holes for the running game to get established. Yell at the special teams for their poor play. Yell at the defense for not being able to contain and tackle!

They did not get whipped in the first half. He imploded at halftime. I have to admit, I wonder if this team can go to the next level with CJ continuing on his present course. It would have to be the perfect storm. Not only would they have to win, but he would have to be the STAR of the show. Does anyone really think that this guy doesn't need to grow the he!! up? I just hope he does fast, because he seems to be dividing the locker room ala TO. I'm not saying he is TO, but he seems to be having a similar effect on his team.

Yes, the defense is mostly the reason they are 1 - 3, but the overall attitude needs to change. That includes everyone, especially the STAR.

Your completely out of your mind dude!

What's the matter Greenie, are too many people picking on the player who appears in your avatar and signature?

Here's the rub. There's no reason for any debate about the seriousness of Chad's actions as there was never any valid reason supporting them in the first place. They were simply things that were tolerated because Chad is supremely talented and a large percentage of people found his clowing funny. But those approving of his actions, including those in the media, are changing their opinions. So whether you like it or not it's fair to say that things have changed, and not for the better....dictating that Chad also change.

Q: When the word selfishness is used, it seems like all eyes focus towards Chad Johnson, rightly or wrongly. Is that unfair?

ML: It is unfair. Eyes are focused on him for a lot of different reasons anyway. But it is unfair.

Ask yourself a couple of questions.

First, who is most to blame for Chad being most sharply in focus? It's him, right?

Next, could Marvin's response be seen as simple coachspeak? Seriously, how likely was he to answer the question by saying that Chad is the only problem and no improvement in poise and professionalsim is needed or desired from the rest of the roster? Sheesh, I'm betting every head coach wants a better performance and less selfish play from every player on his team. Lewis is no different.

Finally, why should anyone give the slightest crap about fairness in this particular issue? Chad is completely in control of the criticism being directed his way as he controls whether the behavior that gives rise to it continues in the future or becomes a thing of the past. And again, there's absolutely no reason anyone should support the behavior when it's obvious the Bengals gain nothing from it, and may in fact be harmed by it.

Q: When the word selfishness is used, it seems like all eyes focus towards Chad Johnson, rightly or wrongly. Is that unfair?

ML: It is unfair. Eyes are focused on him for a lot of different reasons anyway. But it is unfair.

First, who is most to blame for Chad being most sharply in focus? It's him, right?

Next, could Marvin's response be seen as simple coachspeak? Seriously, how likely was he to answer the question by saying that Chad is the only problem and no improvement in poise and professionalsim is needed or desired from the rest of the roster? Sheesh, I'm betting every head coach wants a better performance and less selfish play from every player on his team. Lewis is no different.

Finally, why should anyone give the slightest crap about fairness in this particular issue? Chad is completely in control of the criticism being directed his way as he controls whether the behavior that gives rise to it continues in the future or becomes a thing of the past. And again, there's absolutely no reason anyone should support the behavior when it's obvious the Bengals gain nothing from it, and may in fact be harmed by it.

Have to agree with this. Fair or not, if you want to draw attention to yourself - then you'd better expect attention - even when you don't want it. If Chad is a smart and intuitive young man he will be learning a great lesson from all this.

To be "fair" though...I'm not sure "chad being chad" makes as much of an impact on the Bengals record as people want to believe. I'm feeling like he's a bit of a scapegoat here. But, as I said above, don't feel sorry for him.

Have to agree with this. Fair or not, if you want to draw attention to yourself - then you'd better expect attention - even when you don't want it. If Chad is a smart and intuitive young man he will be learning a great lesson from all this.

To be "fair" though...I'm not sure "chad being chad" makes as much of an impact on the Bengals record as people want to believe. I'm feeling like he's a bit of a scapegoat here. But, as I said above, don't feel sorry for him.

He's definitely being made the scapegoat and it's sickening. I would say the fact that guys are constantly looking for a reason why they play bad outside of themselves is the main problem, everybody wants to point the finger at someone else instead of being responsible for their own actions.

If someone in the locker room can't stand Chad then they need to handle it in the locker room and approach him like a man tell him to his face why they don't him and what he does. It's really weak to say I can't do my job because Chad likes to draw attention to himself. Chad's antics have helped the Bengals, do you think we would have as many primetime games if it weren't for the antics of Ocho Cinco.

Guys need to man the eff up and if they have a problem then deal with it, enough going to media like some girls if you have a problem with someone then let it be known. All teams have these problem but they are dealt with internally usually be the vets on the team. The Bengals are unique as most of the vets were FA acquistions who haven't been on the team for a long time, but whatever the case the players should deal with Chad if he's such a problem.

The only question I need to ask is if Chad is truly the cancer

he is being made out to be, would Marvin defend him like

he does to the media ? My answer is no. He doesn`t have

to say Chad is the only problem, but he could say there

are things Chad needs to work on, blah blah yada yada yada.

Not that it`s unfair that he is being made to look like a cancer

when he`s not.

Chad can`t control what the media wants to write.

He is an "entertainer" when they win, and "selfish"

when they lose. It`s that simple. Winning is the

sweetest perfume. Winning "fixes" this.

I will give you this though, if it`s true that

he threw a tantrum AGAIN in the locker room,

he needs to have his head removed from his butt

by kicking it. Or traded. But I`m not willing to give

up just yet on one of the ELITE WR`s in the NFL.

It's really weak to say I can't do my job because Chad likes to draw attention to himself. Chad's antics have helped the Bengals, do you think we would have as many primetime games if it weren't for the antics of Ocho Cinco. .

To my knowledge there isn't a single player attempting to use Chad's behavior as an excuse for their performance. It's a lockerroom issue that relates to team chemistry and focus. And along those lines the article quotes the concerns of an unnamed Bengal source worried that one guy can continue damaging the Bengals attempts to improve in those areas. That not only seems like a valid concern, but I think it's ridiculous to claim Chad should be allowed to continue acting in such a manner if there is even the slightest chance that it could be a distraction that erodes team discipline and divides the team behind closed doors.

As for his antics helping the Bengals land a few prime time games, I'm concerned about how the Bengals play, not when.

when he`s not.

When did this become a debate about whether Chad's actions made him a cancer? To my knowledge nobody is suggesting that Chad is acting in a malicious manner. Instead, aren't we talking about a talented player who so lacks maturity, and continues to act in a manner that is so easily correctable, that the very idea that it be tolerated any further is undefendable?

It's really weak to say I can't do my job because Chad likes to draw attention to himself. Chad's antics have helped the Bengals, do you think we would have as many primetime games if it weren't for the antics of Ocho Cinco. .

To my knowledge there isn't a single player attempting to use Chad's behavior as an excuse for their performance. It's a lockerroom issue that relates to team chemistry and focus. And along those lines the article quotes the concerns of an unnamed Bengal source worried that one guy can continue damaging the Bengals attempts to improve in those areas. That not only seems like a valid concern, but I think it's ridiculous to claim Chad should be allowed to continue acting in such a manner if there is even the slightest chance that it could be a distraction that erodes team discipline and divides the team behind closed doors.

As for his antics helping the Bengals land a few prime time games, I'm concerned about how the Bengals play, not when.

I agree that Marvin needs to treat everybody the same and maybe even be harder on the stars so the other guys know they too can get it, but I don't think it's fair that Chad is being blamed as the reason why this team can't stay focused or play consistantly good football. It's not that simple, it's like media is just pileing on

when he`s not.

When did this become a debate about whether Chad's actions made him a cancer? To my knowledge nobody is suggesting that Chad is acting in a malicious manner. Instead, aren't we talking about a talented player who so lacks maturity, and continues to act in a manner that is so easily correctable, that the very idea that it be tolerated any further is undefendable?

Ummmmm. It sure seems like you`re calling him a cancer.

And you`re wanting to trade him because of it . . .

You yourself said in the post above this one, "that one guy (Chad)

can (is) continue(ing to) damaging the Bengals attempts to improve in those areas. That not only seems like a valid concern, but I think it's ridiculous to claim Chad should be allowed to continue acting in such a manner if there is even the slightest chance that it could be a distraction that erodes team discipline and divides the team behind closed doors."

That`s what cancers do.

If you really are just talking about his immaturity, then I think

it`s crazy to even mention the word trade in the same paragraph.