Jay Glazer: Bengals look good, but Kentucky's the pits

bucket

This is the best article I have read in so long! Freakin' hilarious...and true. Seems to have touched a nerve down in hickville.

It's funny how people who live in hickville never realize how back woods (and backwards) it is. Me and my friends still laugh about that place.

This is the best article I have read in so long! Freakin' hilarious...and true. Seems to have touched a nerve down in hickville.

It's funny how people who live in hickville never realize how back woods (and backwards) it is. Me and my friends still laugh about that place.

Man, I just smell your Steelers devotion from here. Always doing your best to piss people off. We've got ourself an undercover brother, boys.

How do I say this gracefully and without half of Kentucky wanting to hang me by my you know whats? Let's be honest, parts of Kentucky don't exactly have a reputation for hording the members of MENSA or the contestants for the National Spelling Bee. With that in mind, I'm begging the folks in the Georgetown area to hire a full-time scout to walk around the town and correct grammar and spelling in order to dispel the myths.

Someone should inform the oh so intelligent Mr. New Yawk that hording is actually spelled hoarding.

Yeah, well, us hillbillies have been sick of condescending Northerners for a couple of hundred years. Bit of a sore point.

In any event, he's right about the disctinction between north and south. You sure as hell wouldn't see a Southerner have such little class as to so thoroughly insult his host. If Mr. Glazer's mama isn't embarassed of him, she should be.

last time i checked kentucky was a union state not a confederate state. that would make you part of the north correct.

Me and my friends still laugh about that place.

Yeah, and ME still laugh at yet another Pissburgher with 1st grade grammar skills.

Never been to Pitsburgh in my life. It probably sucks just as much as Kentucky though. Cincinnati is great (although it has its fair share of hicks and trailer trash). But Kentucky sucks.

Never been to Pitsburgh in my life. It probably sucks just as much as Kentucky though. Cincinnati is great (although it has its fair share of hicks and trailer trash). But Kentucky sucks.

Only when you're in town. Once you leave, so does the sucking. <_<

:lmao::lmao: Perfect! :lol::lol:

Kentucky was considered a "border state" in reference to the Civil War, as KY gave varying degrees of support to the southern cause although they remained in the union.

No Kentuckian would ever refer to him/herself as a northerner.

but they remained a union state even thought some may have supported the confederates. what's wrong with northerners? i hope your not basing your opinions because of a jack ass like glazer or what happened a couple hundred years ago. if you are and i am not saying you are. well then wouldn't that put you in the same boat as glazer?

I don't know for sure(I should, I grew up in a historic river town)but wasn't the Ohio River the Mason Dixon line, so wouldn't that make Kentucky a southern state?

Growing up in Erlanger in northern Kentucky, I always considered it so due to that historic line. As far as who to go to for more "proof" in the matter, I would defer to the NCAA's South Eastern Conference. The University of Kentucky plays within it, but as it's most northern school of their athletic conference. So I would say that many well educated people are of the opinion that it is indeed a southern state.

This from Wikipedia:

As a cultural boundary

US_map-South_Modern.png

Modern definition The states in dark red are almost always included in modern day definitions of the South, while those in medium red are usually included. The striped states are sometimes/occasionally considered Southern. Note that the Mason-Dixon line forms part of the northern boundary of the striped states[1][2]The Mason-Dixon line became symbolic of the division between the "free states" and "slave states" from the Missouri Compromise until the end of the American Civil War. Pennsylvania abolished slavery early while Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, and Missouri remained slave states until the end of the war.

After the Civil War, the line continued to be thought of as a cultural boundary, which is imagined as continuing westward from Pennsylvania down the Ohio River to the Mississippi River, and crossing the Mississippi to place Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas south of the line. Debate respectfully proceeds as to whether border states such as Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland and West Virginia belong on the north or south side of this boundary line.

So who the hell knows, and more importantly, why does it even matter?

Chargers are lucky ... and sorry Kentucky

Jay Glazer

FOXSports.com, Updated 16 hours ago

In this installment Glazer visits the Chargers and eats his words about the state of Kentucky.

A few weeks ago I wrote about my stop in Georgetown, Kentucky and it's caused quite the stir. I was quite disturbed with the reaction, so I'd like to take a moment to clear up some things about the story. People responded that they were genuinely hurt and that bothered me greatly. I try to entertain with Glaze Across America, not hurt.

First, despite the headline, I do not think the state of Kentucky is the pits. Far from it. I was writing about one little area of a state and even with that said, I found parts of Lexington to be absolutely gorgeous, just beautiful. I did however poke a little fun ... just like I've poked fun at other cities or towns and just like I've made fun of myself over and over and over again. I was disappointed in the reaction, hoping we could laugh at each other rather than get barraged with violent threats and enraged citizens thinking I was talking about anyone who's ever stepped foot at the Kentucky Derby.

People, these reports are not meant to offend, but rather to give a slice of life of the U.S. through my own sordid and demented little mind, as twisted as it may be. It's a tongue-in- cheek look at things that stand out on my tour and, yes, I look for humor, whether by finding something to rip on in the town or something dumb that I've done. Earlier this camp I wrote about a blood-splattered hotel room I checked into in a small town in Maryland. I once wrote a very similar column making fun of how police followed me from town to town as I drove through the Louisiana Bayou in a big, red Cadillac. I trashed the way I looked in that thing. Later this week, I'lle be writing about perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever done on the road in my life (which will be in my end of camp wrap-up).

In fact, if you read my column closely enough, I find humor in the fact that in my story about misspelled words, I have a misspelled word that got past me and my editors.

The reaction from Kentuckians was mind boggling as I received anything from, "You sure do have a pretty mouth," which was my personal favorite, to attacks on New York to threats of what they'd like to do to me in the woods down there.

For those Kentuckians who were offended by my words, that was certainly not my intention and I hope you will somehow understand that I was not trying to hurt anyone nor tarnish a group of people. For those Kentuckians whom I heard from who were entertained and saw the humor, I appreciate those words as well.

I was not asked to write this by anyone at FOXSports.com but I felt it necessary after receiving the feedback that came with the column. Again, the last thing I wanted to do was offend people who love their state and I was bothered by the fact that so many people took such great offense. It was supposed to be a fun slice of America and it turned into something that others felt hurt by. For that I couldn't be more sorry. So much so I also asked the people at FOXSports.com to actually pull the story, the first time I've ever asked for such a thing.

Would I ever go to Kentucky again? In a heartbeat. It's beautiful there and to be honest, I had a fun time and met some wonderful people. Sadly, judging by the letters and threats that followed up, I'd probably have to come with my own SWAT team. Would they welcome me back? Probably not, which is too bad. It's too bad that instead of trying to make me eat my words by proving me wrong, the fine folks who wrote in would instead try to make me eat their foot.

Again, it was never my intention to offend. Please people, let's not take ourselves so incredibly seriously. For those who follow my crazy escapades around the country, hopefully you can see my humor and realize, if we can't poke fun at the world it can often be a very boring place.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7168974

Chargers are lucky ... and sorry Kentucky

Jay Glazer

FOXSports.com, Updated 16 hours ago

In this installment Glazer visits the Chargers and eats his words about the state of Kentucky.

A few weeks ago I wrote about my stop in Georgetown, Kentucky and it's caused quite the stir. I was quite disturbed with the reaction, so I'd like to take a moment to clear up some things about the story. People responded that they were genuinely hurt and that bothered me greatly. I try to entertain with Glaze Across America, not hurt.

First, despite the headline, I do not think the state of Kentucky is the pits. Far from it. I was writing about one little area of a state and even with that said, I found parts of Lexington to be absolutely gorgeous, just beautiful. I did however poke a little fun ... just like I've poked fun at other cities or towns and just like I've made fun of myself over and over and over again. I was disappointed in the reaction, hoping we could laugh at each other rather than get barraged with violent threats and enraged citizens thinking I was talking about anyone who's ever stepped foot at the Kentucky Derby.

People, these reports are not meant to offend, but rather to give a slice of life of the U.S. through my own sordid and demented little mind, as twisted as it may be. It's a tongue-in- cheek look at things that stand out on my tour and, yes, I look for humor, whether by finding something to rip on in the town or something dumb that I've done. Earlier this camp I wrote about a blood-splattered hotel room I checked into in a small town in Maryland. I once wrote a very similar column making fun of how police followed me from town to town as I drove through the Louisiana Bayou in a big, red Cadillac. I trashed the way I looked in that thing. Later this week, I'lle be writing about perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever done on the road in my life (which will be in my end of camp wrap-up).

In fact, if you read my column closely enough, I find humor in the fact that in my story about misspelled words, I have a misspelled word that got past me and my editors.

The reaction from Kentuckians was mind boggling as I received anything from, "You sure do have a pretty mouth," which was my personal favorite, to attacks on New York to threats of what they'd like to do to me in the woods down there.

For those Kentuckians who were offended by my words, that was certainly not my intention and I hope you will somehow understand that I was not trying to hurt anyone nor tarnish a group of people. For those Kentuckians whom I heard from who were entertained and saw the humor, I appreciate those words as well.

I was not asked to write this by anyone at FOXSports.com but I felt it necessary after receiving the feedback that came with the column. Again, the last thing I wanted to do was offend people who love their state and I was bothered by the fact that so many people took such great offense. It was supposed to be a fun slice of America and it turned into something that others felt hurt by. For that I couldn't be more sorry. So much so I also asked the people at FOXSports.com to actually pull the story, the first time I've ever asked for such a thing.

Would I ever go to Kentucky again? In a heartbeat. It's beautiful there and to be honest, I had a fun time and met some wonderful people. Sadly, judging by the letters and threats that followed up, I'd probably have to come with my own SWAT team. Would they welcome me back? Probably not, which is too bad. It's too bad that instead of trying to make me eat my words by proving me wrong, the fine folks who wrote in would instead try to make me eat their foot.

Again, it was never my intention to offend. Please people, let's not take ourselves so incredibly seriously. For those who follow my crazy escapades around the country, hopefully you can see my humor and realize, if we can't poke fun at the world it can often be a very boring place.

Maybe he'll engage his brain next time before he writes something so unfair. Nice find Ox, and to Jay Glazer...apology accepted.

Actually it wasn't all that funny or witty, and although I live in No Ky I enjoy a good hick joke now and then...it really wasn't that funny. That's why it was pulled, it was lame (and I grew up in urban Cincy, so have no KY bias, and can't stand UK or their sports)

Yes if you go to a restaurant/bar it's not unusual for it to close at 11pm in a small city or town. And the manger would have none of his wannabe jock bully nonsense.

So he cries about it in the paper. Lame...zzzz....whatever. I can't believe I wasted this much of my life's time on it.

This apology seems to be a little back-handed. He seems to be saying that he was just making fun, but the dumb hicks didnt get it, sorry.

I dont find this to be an acceptable apology for slandering a whole region, even if I live more than 3 hours drive north of it.

Some educated people have no common sense, this series of articles shows that Mr. Glazer may be one of them.

As an apology, it wasn't very good - neither heartfelt nor abject. I stand by my earlier critique of his article, whether it was intended as sarcastic, ironic, sardonic, or humorous - it was still terrible:

poorly written, thoughtless, and about as insightful as a Paris Hilton book report.