Sporting News Pick to win the AFCN: The Bengals

TJJackson

I just picked up this year's issue at Bigg's, and was impressed they took a chance and picked the bengals over the Ravens

They even project a (single) playoff win

I know, I know, who cares, but it's nice to see a national publication give us some love, every now and then

I dont know about anyone else but I think the ravens are overated.

I just picked up this year's issue at Bigg's, and was impressed they took a chance and picked the bengals over the Ravens

They even project a (single) playoff win

I know, I know, who cares, but it's nice to see a national publication give us some love, every now and then

I dont know about anyone else but I think the ravens are overated.

second that

the steelers? LOL. they are done. browns might have a better record than them when its said and done. ravens are by far their biggest competion due to having a vet qb, good recieiving corps finally, a good rb in mcgahee and a great defense as always.

i see the standings like this

bengals 11-5

ravens 10-6

steelers 7-9

browns 6-10

the steelers? LOL. they are done. browns might have a better record than them when its said and done.

I don't know about all that. Last year the Steelers finished 7th in the NFL in offense and 9th in the league in defense. They dominated a couple of games stats-wise but came away with losses anyway. Basically, if their QB didn't play like he was drunk the whole year, they probably would've made the playoffs.

I hate the black and urine with a passion, and especially loathe the ignorant and obvnoxious fanbase. But that's not to say I don't respect what the Steelers can do on the field.

I don't know about all that. Last year the Steelers finished 7th in the NFL in offense and 9th in the league in defense

Thats because they faced the bengals twice,Also looked what happens when they pass more ben throws more and more ints.

While I agree that opening up the passing game for the Steelers only means more INTs for Roeth, I seriously doubt the Steelers achieved their rankings in the NFL in offense and defense primarily because they played the Bengals twice. When watching their games, or looking at the recaps afterwards, it became pretty evident they were a football team that could move the ball and could play good D, but just found ways to ultimately lose the game - i.e. either the QB threw INTs, runners fumbled the ball, or special teams dropped punts.

If anything, the 2006 Steelers are a good example of just how important turnovers are in football. But I just don't think we can expect them to continue to consistently turn the ball over at such an alarming rate. That's assuming, of course, Tomlin goes back to making Ben do what he does best: hand the ball off.

My expectation that the Steelers will have a good season relies heavily on Roethlisberger having a solid year. I think he will.

I don't know man.. The more that guy throws, the more interceptions the other team has. And with their offense reportedly opening up this year, it could be a long one for Toothless...

My expectation that the Steelers will have a good season relies heavily on Roethlisberger having a solid year. I think he will.

I don't know man.. The more that guy throws, the more interceptions the other team has. And with their offense reportedly opening up this year, it could be a long one for Toothless...

Could be, but I still think his INT-fest last year was more the result of him playing a bit bruised up than it was any inability to play consistently. I think the '04 and '05 seasons were more accurate depictions of what he can do. If they do open up the offense for him, then yeah he'll throw some picks. I think he'll be more able to keep the pace with touchdowns this year though.

That's all my best guess. It's just as plausible that he throws 25 picks and is benched for Batch in week 10.

Could be, but I still think his INT-fest last year was more the result of him playing a bit bruised up than it was any inability to play consistently.

True to a point, but the Steelers offensive line isn't the stabilizing force that it once was. In fact, I'm not sure I could name a worse starting OT in the entire NFL than Max Starks.

The lingering effects of Roethlisberger's accident & appendectomy only go so far in explaining his mistakes.

Carson and Drew Brees were both coming off of injuries that more directly affected their ability to throw and they had good seasons.

Roethlisberger makes bad decisions (Madieu in the end zone, that pick in the Raiders game that was returned 100+ yards, etc) - I'm not sure that can be blamed on physical injury.

Could be, but I still think his INT-fest last year was more the result of him playing a bit bruised up than it was any inability to play consistently.

True to a point, but the Steelers offensive line isn't the stabilizing force that it once was. In fact, I'm not sure I could name a worse starting OT in the entire NFL than Max Starks.

No doubt, their offensive line problems certainly contributed to the problem. At times I think it can be argued that their line played worse than the Bengals' did. I don't expect either line to struggle so much this year.

I still think it will be the Ravens right there with the Bengals or the other way around, but you have to think their running game will be improved with McGahee. Well, at least I do. I really don't want to hear about how their defense is getting older anymore either, because regardless of that fact, they are still VERY good defensively !!! Oh yeah, what happened to Boller's dumbass ?? That dude SUCKS !!!

WHODEY !!!

I think the AFCN will be tighter than a virgins snatch this year.

I can see either of the main 3 teams (sorry Cleveland!) either finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd I think it will be that close. I can even see some improvement from Cleveland but not enough to take away their wooden spoon status. Yep Bengals could win the division but could also finish 3rd, same with Pittsburgh and Baltimore. It's gonna be a squeaker of a season!!!!

I think the AFCN will be tighter than a virgins snatch this year.

I can see either of the main 3 teams (sorry Cleveland!) either finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd I think it will be that close. I can even see some improvement from Cleveland but not enough to take away their wooden spoon status. Yep Bengals could win the division but could also finish 3rd, same with Pittsburgh and Baltimore. It's gonna be a squeaker of a season!!!!

So, Scotty, how's this guess:

CIN 11 - 5

PIT 10 - 6

BAL 10 - 6

CLE 7 - 9

I think the 2 big factors will be head-2-head (obviously) and those 'swing games against the AFC SOUTH & WEST - scheduling really DOES make a difference.