Let's all agree Irons will be good

walzav29

I have 100% faith in Jim Anderson scouting running backs. I know Perry is a bust, because of injuries. Irons will be the perfect compliment to Rudi. It was the one thing missing from the offense. They don't really use a tight-end for anything but offense. I liked the pick.

I have 100% faith in Jim Anderson scouting running backs. I know Perry is a bust, because of injuries. Irons will be the perfect compliment to Rudi. It was the one thing missing from the offense. They don't really use a tight-end for anything but offense. I liked the pick.

The problem is the definition of "complement," which would imply that he brings skills Rudi doesn't have. We'll see if he has hidden pass-catching skills underutilized by Auburn. If he does, then good pick. If he doesn't, then I question the timing of the pick, both by year and round. Drafted lower (4th), it's cheap insurance if Rudi goes down as well as a useful lightening of Rudi's load, but in the 2nd, that's kind of expensive given our holes on D. In another year or two, it would be a good time to draft Rudi's eventual replacement, but this year's still early for that.

The only good explanation is "all the good D players went off the board, so we had to do something."

So we'll see if he's actually a complement, or if he's a redundancy.

I love the idea of picking Irons in the second! But what happens if Perry has a break out season (probably will never happen) this year? Would he be the starter while we trade Rudi and Irons as the 3rd down back? I really doubt that ever happens but what if it did?

Kenny Irons brother David was a CB for Auburn also...hopefully Kenny and David can repeat the success of another RB/CB twin brother combo that came from the same school. That school was Virginia, and the twin brothers were Tiki and Rhonde Barder. If Kenny Irons can mimic the career Tiki had in NY, I would be the happiest man in a 2 block radius of my appartment complex.

:D

As I said on another thread -- I like Kenny Irons, even though I wanted defense all day or the Best Defensive Player Available.

I have several Auburn games, but decided to watch 2005 Auburn vs LSU ( a darn good defense). Irons was spectacular!

Late in the fourth quarter, he had 188 yds on 22 carries. One touchdown run of 74 yds. that was into the middle of the LSU defense. He broke tackles, spun off tacklers and ran 74 yds with no one gaining on him. It was GREAT!

Later Irons had a 36 yd. run. He looks tough up the middle and seems to have that DESIRE to gain more yards. Does a respectable job of blocking on pass plays. While this was just one game -- I liked what I saw.

Now, we just need to hope he stays healthy.

Who Dey

I love the idea of picking Irons in the second! But what happens if Perry has a break out season (probably will never happen) this year? Would he be the starter while we trade Rudi and Irons as the 3rd down back? I really doubt that ever happens but what if it did?

Then good for us. I'd much rather be in that position than to have nobody at all...

This is my guess as educated as I can make one but here goes.

- They drafted chris perry hoping that his natural running skills would create more big plays, both running and receiving,

* unfortunately he's about as solid as Jello pudding at the bottom of the fridge !

- So to fix the problem of not drafting Stephen Jackson in '04 in the first place, they take another Auburn running back in the hopes that his similiar running style to Perry's will do for our offense what Perry has only been able to do in 1 out of his 3 seasons..???

:huh:

Irons is a very talented back, but I hardly see him as a need pick in round 2. What's obvious about this pick is that Marvin and Co. stuck to what they said they would do by staying away from "character" issue players.

- Rufus Alexander or Marcus Thomas in round 3 could have been taken at a good value by trading down from # 49.

Hard to think that fellow 2nd rounders in

1. Eric Wright

2. Josh Wilson

3. Marcus McCauley ( 3rd )

4. Stewart Bradley (3rd)

- and a list of others that came after Irons weren't more promising picks.

But here's to Kenny Irons' success. :cheers: And here's to Chris Perry being kicked where the sun don't shine on the way out the door, or another year on IR. :sure::angry:

My first reaction to the 2nd pick was what the...., but I have to admit the pick is growing on me. It's kind of like buying a boat, when what you really need is a new roof. Yes, you are going to enjoy the sunny days on the lake, but the rainy days are really going to suck.

Along the same lines, it's going to be nice to have a homerun threat on offense, but the third and 2's on defense are going to get old. Let's just hope that things fall into place at LB and DL. Are they not due for some luck in these areas?

If he stays healthy, I think Irons will be the starter in a season or two.

I agree, very possible. I like Rudi Johnson, but he is so one-dimensional it drives me crazy. We need a back who gives us more options. The scouts at the combines loved Kenny Irons' hands, Chris Perry is almost always injured, and we were pretty bad last year on third down. Enter Kenny Irons. Bengal fans will love this guy.

I got no gripes with Irons as a solid RB for his style of running. But I'm not convinced this 2nd round offense pick is a good as the one was last year because they knew they were getting a versatile O-lineman in Whitworth who could be expected to play reasonably well at 4 positions immediately if needed.

Still, Irons hits quick and goes. Shoulders and ankles might be a problem for him if he gets used too much too soon but hopefully they won't have to use him too much this year and he can learn from Anderson, develop receiving skills and pick up what he's got to do blocking wise by watching Watson. I'd hate to see Carson get killed because the 3rd down back isn't ready yet to get the blitz.

But there's no question Irons is a good and willing between the tackles runner already who's got the quickness to test the outside on sweeps and screens now and again. He's no battering ram by any stretch and not proven enough to come out right away as a 3rd down back right away IMO. But hopefully the Bengals will not have to count on him for either this year.

I have always loved the Irons pick ever since we first picked him..He is going to be a great 1-2 punch with Rudi..We gotta think of a nickname for the 2. They are both from Auburn so it would be great...Maybe Irons will start in a few years when Rudi's contract ends.

I find drafts and team analysis by fans to be a pretty funny thing ... and this Irons pick is a classic example. Some on the Bengals side see this pick as ridiculous based only because we have a guy like Rudi already. Others question it because of other needs. Then I sit here in Pissburgh and listen to numerous people cry about the draft. Why do you think people are most upset around here? Is it because of the TE in the 3rd? Or the Punter in the 4th? Yeah, folks have opinions about those ... but what I hear most is that people want to know why they did not draft a runningback to complement Willie Parker. They wanted a quality RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds ... and some called for it in the 2nd. And trust me, the Steelers sure have their own noticable holes beyond a second RB.

I just find it funny that the very thing some people on the Bengals side criticize is the same thing that people on the Steelers side wanted. Welcome to the craziness known as being a fan.

I'd end up with a load in my shorts and a dinner full of crow. Seriously doubt it.