PFT article follow up

Bengalhead

From Lance's Blog page

Profootballtalk.com

BENGALS SEND MIXED SIGNALS ON PALMER

The Cincinnati Bengals initially responded to reports (originating right here) that quarterback Carson Palmer has a shoulder injury by claiming that everything is fine with the pass-throwers pass thrower.

But then the team later acknowledged that he'd missed the 11-on-11 portion of practice, and that he officially is listed as probable for Sunday with a shoulder injury.

Hmmmmm.

For starters, we've never reported that Palmer has a torn rotator cuff. We only reported that he has a shoulder injury, and that it's possibly a torn rotator cuff. We also reported that he underwent tests on the shoulder on Wednesday.

The team hasn't acknowledged that Palmer underwent tests. But, surely, if Palmer's shoulder is bothering him enough to miss part of practice, the team has done something to either find out what the problem is, or rule out what it isn't.

And let's not forget the reality that teams routinely lie, cheat, and......................

Effing slime bags. Again, PFT is nothing more than sh1t stirring wannabee journalists. :rolleyes:

From Lance's Blog page

Profootballtalk.com

BENGALS SEND MIXED SIGNALS ON PALMER

The Cincinnati Bengals initially responded to reports (originating right here) that quarterback Carson Palmer has a shoulder injury by claiming that everything is fine with the pass-throwers pass thrower.

But then the team later acknowledged that he'd missed the 11-on-11 portion of practice, and that he officially is listed as probable for Sunday with a shoulder injury.

Hmmmmm.

For starters, we've never reported that Palmer has a torn rotator cuff. We only reported that he has a shoulder injury, and that it's possibly a torn rotator cuff. We also reported that he underwent tests on the shoulder on Wednesday.

The team hasn't acknowledged that Palmer underwent tests. But, surely, if Palmer's shoulder is bothering him enough to miss part of practice, the team has done something to either find out what the problem is, or rule out what it isn't.

And let's not forget the reality that teams routinely lie, cheat, and......................

Effing slime bags. Again, PFT is nothing more than sh1t stirring wannabee journalists. :rolleyes:

here here!!!

Here's more from the article. . .

Anyway, our current point is that there's no reason to take at face value the inherently self-serving statements and omissions of any team that has a player (especially a quarterback) who might be injured, especially when said team is in the middle of a fight for the postseason.

Well of course teams will try to keep other teams guessing. Since when has this become a news flash. Everybody and their grandma knows this, and yet the idiots at PFT are trying to make this sound all cloak and dagger. Fricking morons.

PULEEEZE. IT'S A RUMOR SITE. EVERYONE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND LOOK UP RUMOR IN WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY!

OK OK. It's a rumor site. Fine. It still doesn't change the fact that their primary job function is to embellish half truths so they can make money. Sounds pretty slimy to me. I guess I'll just tune them out from now on. Oh, and by the way, THERE IS NO NEED TO YELL!!!!!

Here's the problem with it, boomer...let's say player "A" has a bruise on his knee, PFT comes along and says "he COULD have a torn acl/mcl/pcl"...then, when a bruise is confirmed, says "well, we didn't say he HAD it, just that he COULD have had it".

Frankly, that kind of disingenuousness is unseemly, no matter the site, "rumor" site or not. That kind of "reporting" is more the sort you would find in, say, the National Enquirer.

That site blows, always and every time.

PFT gets it right more often than not. They were the first to mention that Odell may have some serious issues...this was in the spring and months ahead of the Enquirer, Hobson, et al. At that time they were trashed on this site and called every name in the book.

Personally, I dont think this was a scoop of any sort...it was even mentioned by the bumbling idiots on MNF who seem to talk about everything but what happens on the field...(why in the hell is Matthew McConaghey on my tv talking about Vince Young during the Bengals game?)

Here's the problem with it, boomer...let's say player "A" has a bruise on his knee, PFT comes along and says "he COULD have a torn acl/mcl/pcl"...then, when a bruise is confirmed, says "well, we didn't say he HAD it, just that he COULD have had it".

Frankly, that kind of disingenuousness is unseemly, no matter the site, "rumor" site or not. That kind of "reporting" is more the sort you would find in, say, the National Enquirer.

COME ON. Teams themselves lie all the time about injuries. What do we know about Braham's injury? Bellichek list 3/4 of his team as questionable most of the time. Remember when it was leaked that Chad pennington had a torn rotator cuff, and the Jets denied it for a month, then when the season ended tehy told you about it.

here's my problem, not singling out anyone. Whenever anything remotely negative is said, written, printed, etc about the bengals most people immediately attack the writer or commentator. "The guy's a douchebag, a moron, doesn't know football, blah, blah, blah"

If Carson palmer has any signifigant shoulder damage, but can still play, none of us are gonna know about it right now. I'm not saying what PFT said is true, but I'm not dismissing it as false yet, either

Boomer, you know I am not one of those who cares when something negative is written about the Bengals, but my complaint with PFT is that their calling card is always going to the extreme negative, whether based in reality or not. Always and every time. It's ridiculous. They did the same thing with Roeth after the motorcycle accident. It is laughable. Works for them, I guess, in the same way that the National Enquirer sells copies of its douche-worthy rag, but I certainly don't choose to reward the kind of douche-baggery they engage in over there.

Well put! :cheers:

I do agree that PFT seems to take every story to an extreme, whether that makes the story acurrate or not. Still, they don't really try and hide that tendency, and readers of the site know what they're getting.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess its one of those things where the reader has to just understand where it is coming from as to whether he should take it seriously.

They give you stuff no one els does. Like Vince Young's wonderlic controversey, CBA tidbits, and other thigns I like to know that mainstream media doesn't cover.

Other than the way they report it, what's the difference between PFT and ESPN guys like Mort and Clayton with all their "sources"?

Other than the way they report it, what's the difference between PFT and ESPN guys like Mort and Clayton with all their "sources"?

Not much, though I think that just speaks more of ESPN's crappiness than PFT's legitimacy. My only beef with the site was how they seemed to target the Bengals specifically throughout the offseason (I guess they had a reason).

Not much, though I think that just speaks more of ESPN's crappiness than PFT's legitimacy. My only beef with the site was how they seemed to target the Bengals specifically throughout the offseason (I guess they had a reason).

Don't get me started on ESPN. I couldn't agree more with both of you! And yeah, you're right, I think the fact that PFT seems to have it out for the Bengals plays a factor in my dislike of them.

Personally, I find PFT one of the best football sites out there. News links, a regular stream of rumors that usually turn out to have some, if not all, basis in fact, and an attitude. Simple and straightforward. No pay to read crap, bloviating talking heads, player puff pieces, etc. And if Florio busts on the Bengals, and he does, well, he busts on all the rest of the teams, too, and if Bengals fans don't like it, they should blame the players who provide him with ammo.

I find it odd that at the outset, a certain admin here defended their post as "they're probably right", and then later when it was obvious they grossly overstated the matter, that same admin defends them as "just a rumor site, what do you expect!" Don't defend them as both legit **and** illegit, PLEASE.

I am firm in my conviction that the word "PFT: " should be at the start of every post with a PFT source. In CAPS, just as shown. Even better: the word "RUMOR: ", ala "RUMOR: Carson was found partying with Odell, Reggie Rembert, Stanley Wilson, and a group of underaged girls last night".

This should *not* appear in the subtitle, but in the thread *TITLE*.

PFT and PFW are the National Enquirer and Weekly World News of the professional football world. If your crazy old gramma liked football as much as she liked stories of 900 pound newborn babies, aliens abducting celebrities, and sightings of Elvis, she'd buy these two rags as well. They write to elicit attention, not to provide information or analysis. If a headline will get people to read it, the truth be damned. That's how they operate. I don't mind people posting material from there but it needs to include some sort of WARNING LABEL so that the casual reader does not mistake the source as legitimate.

The fact that these sites attempt to pass themselves off as legit is doubly infuriating

Sounds like CBS news to me.

I find it odd that at the outset, a certain admin here defended their post as "they're probably right", and then later when it was obvious they grossly overstated the matter, that same admin defends them as "just a rumor site, what do you expect!" Don't defend them as both legit **and** illegit, PLEASE.

I am firm in my conviction that the word "PFT: " should be at the start of every post with a PFT source. In CAPS, just as shown. Even better: the word "RUMOR: ", ala "RUMOR: Carson was found partying with Odell, Reggie Rembert, Stanley Wilson, and a group of underaged girls last night".

This should *not* appear in the subtitle, but in the thread *TITLE*.

PFT and PFW are the National Enquirer and Weekly World News of the professional football world. If your crazy old gramma liked football as much as she liked stories of 900 pound newborn babies, aliens abducting celebrities, and sightings of Elvis, she'd buy these two rags as well. They write to elicit attention, not to provide information or analysis. If a headline will get people to read it, the truth be damned. That's how they operate. I don't mind people posting material from there but it needs to include some sort of WARNING LABEL so that the casual reader does not mistake the source as legitimate.

The fact that these sites attempt to pass themselves off as legit is doubly infuriating

Well, if you're reffering to me, I believe my words we're "they get it right more often than not" Other than that, I can't add anymore to what Hoosier already stated

"They get it right more often than not"

How much more? Like 51% to 49%? 99% to 1%? Knowing which end of the scale that falls on is important.

Oh, and maybe this is just me, anything less than 100% accurate is bulls**t.

Keep legitimizing them

Sorry to bust your balloon, but whether you like it or not, Florio and PFT are already considered legitimate. His site has had many scoops, and is widely read. The league offices routinely respond to questions he asks them. Agents and players and even coaches talk to Florio. His stories are often picked up (sometimes with attribution, sometimes without) by mainstream media. Florio is a regular guest on many local sports radio shows. In fact, at one point his services were bought by ESPN! They started their lame ""insider" thing by buying his old nfltalk site; he subsequently quit and re-established an independent site under the current banner.

Sayiing Florio isn't legit, or is in any way comparable to the WWN is just silly.

Oh, and maybe this is just me, anything less than 100% accurate is bulls**t.

That's an interesting attitude. Tell me, when you hear the 6 o'clock news say there is a tornado warning, do you ignore it? After all, at some point, usually every day, every news outlet screws up. That's why newspapers have daily corrections columns, after all. So, under your theory, since the local news often mis-reports things, it must be BS, right? So...tornado warning...ahh, who cares, eh?

Sayiing Florio isn't legit, or is in any way comparable to the WWN is just silly.

The fact that Florio is occasionally legit ignores the fact that he chooses to not be legit whenever he feels it suits him.

PFT's much deserved poor reputation is a result of the way it deliberately chooses to do business. Or were you under the impression that respectable media sources use the word "TURD" as it's signature catch phrase? And on that point, I wrote Florio once and he explained to me that the site is deliberately provacative in the hopes that it will generate hits....which will bring advertisers....which apparently will pay the guys heating bills....which I couldn't care less about.

As for ESPN, if it is guilty of anything it's the habit of taking itself far too seriously....because no matter how shaky and poorly constructed the soapbox might be you'll find an ESPN personality attempting to climb atop it.

That said, PFT has positioned itself on the opposite end of the spectrum. It routinely offers up material that it openly admits is "probably untrue" but it's defenders claim that it can't be blamed for it's actions because the reader has been warned, right? After all, the site admits freely that many times it offers unfounded rumors and opinions from sources that aren't named. And when you get right down to it...that isn't all that different than the Weekly World News printing headlines about the face of Elvis being found on Mars.