Running backs what are good day 2 prospects?

Kazkal

I don't think physical measurables matter much for a third down back. I think Garret Wolfe would be a very good pick for that role. I'm not sure we need an upgrade over Kenny Watson though.

If we pick a RB, I'll want a more stout guy that can spell Rudi and give us someone to fall back on should Rudi get hurt. I don't think Quincy Wilson would cut it.

Well Kenny watson is great utility back...but he doesn't quite make people miss like rudi (ya he had huge screen but tha was more blocking on it ...norwood would took that to the house.

I woulden't mind another power back....but just be nice have someone break for big ones now and then...ones I like though Michael Bush 2007 :P Jonathan Stewart 2008 :P

Norwood would have had a good shot at outrunning Kelvin Hayden with his sub 4.4 straightline speed but probably not with the angle Hayden had and Hayden can flat out fly his own self.

This is an extremely weak RB class this year. I'd say Dwayne Wright would be a Day 2 steal but the overall RB pool should put Wright in Day 1 even with his injury history. The guy I like is Curtis Brown of BYU but again the weakness of the RB class could make him more sought after. Then there's a similarly styled runner/receiver back in Jon Cornish who is already a CFL 1st round pick. The power back I like in Day 2 is Jason Snelling of Virginia, who could be another Brandon Jacobs.

How about this guy? Mikey would save a few bucks on jerseys...:lol:

(12:30 PM): Pac 10 RB to go pro… Arizona junior RB Chris Henry has announced he will be leaving school and entering the 2007 NFL draft. The 6-0, 215-pound Henry rushed for a team-high 581 yards and scored seven TDs this season as he averaged 3.5 yards per carry.

(from gbn)

(12:30 PM): Pac 10 RB to go pro… Arizona junior RB Chris Henry has announced he will be leaving school and entering the 2007 NFL draft. The 6-0, 215-pound Henry rushed for a team-high 581 yards and scored seven TDs this season as he averaged 3.5 yards per carry.

(from gbn)

Anything for Mikey to save a few bucks :lol: What with the cap soaring, the new stadiums getting built, Mikey's probably pouring Pepto on his coneys instead of chilli.

All I noticed of Chris Henry the runner and not the idiot WR was that he had some power and a nose for the goaline with the ability to sweep oustide. This is a weak RB year so he probably picked the right time to leave.

And speaking of Day 2 prospects, last night the bowl season got kicked off with TCU vs. Northern Ilini. Pretty neat sight on the sidleine with Bolts RBs LT and Turner the Burner on hand to pull for their respective former teams. Turner was a steal in the 2004 draft. The Bengals got Maurice Mann instead of Turner in the 5th but of course they took SUPERSTAR that year in the 1st. That was the year to take a Day 2 RB -- Turner or Mewelde Moore instead of Mathias Askew in the 4th. :wacko:

But back to the Kaz question about Wolfe. Last night's game pretty much showed where Wolfe would be even more limited than either Drew or say Darren Sproles. Wolfe is willing and does not avoid collisions when he pops between the tackles, but ultimately the power is just not there. TCU has an ungodly fast defense and they but the brakes on Wolfe in a major way (like 8 yards on 10 carries in 1st half). But I believe a team (say Broncos) will take a chance on Wolfe in maybe about the 5th or 6th if he can show he can return punts and kicks during the combine. If he can do the latter really well, then he could move up some more.

But the Bengals...no. They won't ditch Perry and Rudi isn't going anywhere. Hopefully they can re-sign Watson but if not, they can hope Perry can stay on the field most of the season and they can use JJ as the 3rd RB again.

OTOH as far as Day 2 picks go, TCU strong safety Marvin White is a solid player. He made an unbelievable play on Wolfe tracking him down on a run for the corner and also laid off the juke for a solo on Wolfe in open space. They said White runs a 4.37 40 and at a listed 6-2, 200, that's moving quite well. He did look the part but it was hard to tell in coverage how he fared most of the time because the N Illini QBS were soiling their britches most of the game from the insane pass rush of TCU (Tommy Blake could be pushing the 1st round if he comes out).

I hear you Kaz. The Bengals did a nice job picking up DeDe Dorsey this year as an undrafted rook and might be able to work that again for a PS slot next year.

Last year, there were 8 Day 1 RBs and just 6 Day 2 ones. I'd guess about the same this year but fewer Day 1 backs with Peterson, Lynch, Irons, Bush, Hunt, Booker and Wright topping the list.

A Day 2 prospect plays tonight in the BYU-Ducks bowl, Curtis Brown #6. He'd get more pub if he didn't play for the pass happy BYU offense but he's also a decent receiver and should be able to swing teams at the next level.

But the Bengals...no. They won't ditch Perry and Rudi isn't going anywhere. Hopefully they can re-sign Watson but if not, they can hope Perry can stay on the field most of the season

They can also hope that Odell and Chris Henry stay out of trouble, and I can hope that the trees in my backyard start growing 100 dollar bills instead of leaves.

You can hope for anything. And then, you can choose to deal with reality.

Yeah Perry looks like a Trung Candidate w/o the couple good years. If they don't roll with Perry, they'll have to go free agent unless they want to burn a high pick. Reality says they probably stick with Perry yet again and try to teach him how to get tackled without getting killed. After all, they did draft him in the first place. :wacko:

Curtis Brown has had a great career at BYU and played real well last night but he's not going to stun anyone with power and speed through holes. Decent 3rd down back and teams player maybe worth the Bengals 6th or 7th.

• 2 months later...

(from gbn)

Anything for Mikey to save a few bucks :lol: What with the cap soaring, the new stadiums getting built, Mikey's probably pouring Pepto on his coneys instead of chilli.

All I noticed of Chris Henry the runner and not the idiot WR was that he had some power and a nose for the goaline with the ability to sweep oustide. This is a weak RB year so he probably picked the right time to leave.

Saw a note today on the footballsfuture.com blog that Henry clocked a wicked 4.33 40.

Why does anyone think Perry will be back 100% this year? If at all?

Dude just had screws put in his ankle and might miss the 1st half of the season, at least.

You can't count on him and they desperately need a guy who can handle 10-15 carries a game, or carry the load if Rudi goes down. Watson CANNOT do that.

Pollack - same thing - not going to be around for a while, if ever.

Wynn and Chris Henry both proved they can pose a breakaway threat if they get to the 2nd level and they've both got some power. Henry was givwen a 3rd round projection by the NFL draft committee for early entry and the speed was probably a big reason why.

The Bengals really can't really on Watson to carry a full load. It's been awhile since he did that with the Skins and even then he didn't run more than 20 times a game but a couple times. But with all the holes and mysteries on defense, those Day 2 picks come with a higher price if they're used on offense, especially for a backup RB who's probably not going to see the field.

give me pittman or wolfe these guys are 2 quality backs. these are 2 guys that can run catch have speed. make plays in space and can return kickoff's. then add the numbers they put up in college. both being +1000 yard rushers and double digits td's, and sporting a 5ypc average and better. i don't think you would go wrong with either one.