It's Browns week

Sox

This from Don Banks: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ....nfl/index.html

Newly acquired Hank Fraley, the 117th guy to play the position for Cleveland since the start of training camp, had a memorable debut at home against the Saints. He gave up three sacks to New Orleans defensive tackle Brian Young, which were more than Young recorded in the past two seasons combined, a span of 31 starts.

This from Don Banks: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ....nfl/index.html

Newly acquired Hank Fraley, the 117th guy to play the position for Cleveland since the start of training camp, had a memorable debut at home against the Saints. He gave up three sacks to New Orleans defensive tackle Brian Young, which were more than Young recorded in the past two seasons combined, a span of 31 starts.

Can't pin that on Fraley. He was with the team for about a week. The coaches should take the blame there. You guys know right now this game will be closer then any of the media's "so-called" experts think.

Yeah home openers were real kind to the home teams this weekend!

11 out of 16 teams lost their home openers. Not real good material for an argument.

Sure it is. It's not the Bengals fault 11 teams choked away their home openers. The Bengals aren't them and they aren't the Bengals. Their performances have zero impact on the home opener in Cincinnati.

It's the same lopsided matchup regardless of what happened elsewhere. There isn't some magical force holding home teams back.

Of the teams that lost their home openers:

Cleveland

Detroit

Green Bay

Houston

Tennesee

Oakland

HARDLY QUALITY TEAMS !!!

The only one that lost their home opener that was a suprise, was Tampa Bay. The others lost to worthy opponents...

Did I mention Cleveland lost their home opener ?? Oh yeah I did, well it was worth mentioning again !!! :sure:

WHODEY !!!

After watching the NFLN replay of the Clowns-Saints, I'm pretty sure the Clowns O-line is better in pass protection than the Chiefs. Not sure why Fraley got blasted for giving up 3 sacks to Young when it looked like 1 came off Andruzzi and another off Tucker on a stunt. Another sack was a naked bootleg where Frye got caught before Winslow could come clean underneath so it was and unblocked end that got that one. Still not a great O-line by any stretch and the biggest flub had to be the Kevin Shaffer hold on a Will Smith bullrush that negated a 70 some yard TD.

Frye threw a lot of quick slants off the 3 step drop and he's got a weapon in Winslow who they line up all over the place -- split, slot, line and h-back in 2 TE sets. Between Winslow, Edwards and Northcutt it's not like the Clowns lack explosive targets for Frye to throw to and if he gets time, the Bengals will be tested especially on seam routes by Winslow who I seriously doubt any of the Bengals LBs can cover alone for an extended time.

Add to it a QB who can scramble better than Trent Green and the Clowns should be able to have some success out of the passing game. But on the ground, can't see Droughns or Harrison making much of a dent through the line. I would expect Frye to be the leading rusher again.

Frye threw a lot of quick slants off the 3 step drop and he's got a weapon in Winslow who they line up all over the place -- split, slot, line and h-back in 2 TE sets.

I didn't see the Browns game... but you have to expect that this will be their strategy against the Bengals. They will have the tape of how our D-Line played. The Chiefs interior line if far superior to the Browns interior. You can say what you want about the Chiefs tackles... but we owned their center and guards as well. The Browns will be scheming to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible... which probably means there won't be many big gains.

Their RB's only gained 41 yards against the Saints... so the play action is going to be good for nothing. Our defense should romp. Palmer will run the no-huddle, we'll score a couple in the first half, and the 2nd half will look a lot like the Chiefs game. Run it 90% of the time, and don't even give them a chance. I'm not sure we'll beat the spread... but the game won't be as close as the score (although you never know with division rivals).

I'd be real surprised if the DE free-for-all the Bengals had last week extends this week. Shaffer and Tucker are much better bookends than the toads the Chiefs had in last week. Less rush off the edge could mean more time for Frye to throw and more time for some seriously quick route runners to get open -- quicker receivers and better route runners than what the Chiefs had. I expect some downfield success by the Clowns if Frye has time, especially vs. Tory James.

OTOH, if the Bengals can get their DTs off, that'll lessen the importance of less rush off the edge. The Clowns looked vulnerable to stunts and quickness at DT rather than bullrush. Peko and Thonrton could have the DT version of what Smith and Jumpy had last week at DE.

OTOH, if the Bengals can get their DTs off, that'll lessen the importance of less rush off the edge. The Clowns looked vulnerable to stunts and quickness at DT rather than bullrush. Peko and Thonrton could have the DT version of what Smith and Jumpy had last week at DE.

Yeah... Brian Young, the DT that had 3 sacks, looks to be in the same mold as Thornton... and Young didn't have Sam Adams taking up all those blockers.

I would also say that Justin Smith is superior to Will Smith, who also had a sack. Now, I didn't watch the game... but knowing what I do about Will Smith from his Ohio State days... I'm assuming he beat Shaffer on a bull rush. Justin Smith should have similar success against a good, but a bit undersized LT.

I also expect more LB and S blitzes this week, further dominating the line of scrimmage, and forcing Frye to try to force the ball to his WR's who should be well blanketed by our talented CB's. Again... strange things happen, but I just don't see how we could lose this game. The games not played on paper, so that's the difference, but if we lose, it will boggle the mind.

Yeah... Brian Young, the DT that had 3 sacks, looks to be in the same mold as Thornton... and Young didn't have Sam Adams taking up all those blockers.

I would also say that Justin Smith is superior to Will Smith, who also had a sack. Now, I didn't watch the game... but knowing what I do about Will Smith from his Ohio State days... I'm assuming he beat Shaffer on a bull rush. Justin Smith should have similar success against a good, but a bit undersized LT.

I also expect more LB and S blitzes this week, further dominating the line of scrimmage, and forcing Frye to try to force the ball to his WR's who should be well blanketed by our talented CB's. Again... strange things happen, but I just don't see how we could lose this game. The games not played on paper, so that's the difference, but if we lose, it will boggle the mind.

Will Smith did beat Shaffer on a bullrush to force a hold that negated the 70 some yard TD catch by Edwards. Will got his sack on a play the Bengals will probably see -- a misidrection naked boot where Winslow pushes off his line block and leaks out towards the flats. Justin's got the quicks to make that play too but the play went right where B-Rob would be if the Clowns try it on 1st or 2nd down.

Boggle the mind is right....there's more of chance that Romeo the Clown will don a brown and orange wig, pop on an orange clown nose, face paint an orange smile and hop up and down the sideline in a Dirty Brown Towel robe while playing a tambourine than the Clowns have of wining this game.

The one concern worth having... Kellen Winslow.

Our defense tends to allow TE's to have big games. It's not unique to anyone else... because good TE's have good games against everyone. They can always find mismatches. Having Madieu back there helps a lot... but Tony G. still managed to get his yards when they needed them with 10 receptions, 81 yards and a TD. That's hardly shutting him down.

Last year's big name TE play against us:

Todd Heap - 2 games, 10 rec, 115 yds, 2 TD's.

Heath Miller - 2 games, 9 rec, 102 yds, 1 TD.

Dallas Clark - 1 game, 6 rec, 125 yds, 1 TD.

Winslow had 8 receptions for 63 yards and a TD last week. We'll have to assign Madieu to just blanket him... because I doubt our LB's will get it done.

I think we did a fine job of holding Gonzo in check when the game was still a game. Green/Huard had nowhere else to throw the ball, and he made some good athletic catches while being covered well (especially the touchdown catch).

I think our TE woes last year can be attributed to Ohalete and KK.

Fraley is not to blame for the lack of play along the Cleveland o-line, but they aren't going to fare much better this coming Sunday regardless. I'll say again... If this wasn't the home opener, I might give the Browns a better chance, but it is what it is... 17 point easy win...

WHODEY !!!

I love it when a plan comes together !!!

WHODEY !!!