Final Thoughts and Obsevations from Chiefs Game

membengal

Not sure where these fit with ongoing threads, so thought I would toss them here to be ignored or added to as people desire:

1. That was the first time I have seen a Bengals D since ML got here and thought "Yeah! I recognize that style" from his previous defenses in Baltimore and Washington. Guys flying everywhere, good discipline, hard hits, active angry defensive line. Add back in O'Neal and Pollack to the mix and it really does have a chance to be a top 15 or better defense.

2. I am decidedly unconcerned about the offense's showing. From the post-game comments, that game played out apparently how ML scripted it. Heavy emphasis on running and not making a big mistake. Given TJ's absence, made perfect sense. And that game should have gone a long way at knocking the rust off of the O-line and get them ready for the next several games. I would expect they will open it up a little more next weekend at home against Cleveland, especially if TJ is back.

3. The special teams has really arrived, and can play even better. A couple of those Larson punts should have been downed inside the ten. On top of that, I had no worries every time the ball was kicked to Hall, just knew they would cover it. Makes them a very complete team. And having Graham kicking is like a security blanket.

4. Carson's rust from not getting as many reps in the off-season and pre-season showed in the miscommuication with CJ on one ball and his underthrow of CJ on the potential TD pass. But it will only get better from here. Early on, this team's success was going to hinge on the D and running game, and for one game, they met that challenge.

5. Madieu Willams and Dexter Jackson up the middle at safety, as opposed to what we had to endure after the fifth game last year? To call it no comparison is an understatement. Early in the first quarter, Larry Johnson ripped off a rare good run, was 8 to 10 yards downfield and picking up steam, and Jackson put him down with a sure tackle at this ankles. Solid. The kind of thing that this D didn't have last year, when solid gains turned into ridiculous gains far too often...

6. When Deltha gets back, he James, and Joseph are going to give this club the best set of cover corners it has had in at least two decades.

Good post Mem - pretty much agree with everything you said.

Nice to see Madeiu back in there - really makes a difference in all areas.

Wonder if KK was in there to spell someone who was tired or injured due to the lead and field conditions...not sure..or indeed if it was Ratliff who was pulled for his play.

We'll probably never find out between the meek local media and Marvin's tight lips.

Add back in O'Neal and Pollack to the mix and it really does have a chance to be a top 15 or better defense.

Deltha was in yesterday. I saw him break up at least one pass. I don't believe he started tho.

Did His Lordship ever get in? I was watching but didn't see him, and I didn't see his name on the stat sheet.

Yeah, saw Deltha break up the one pass, but no idea how much he played since Cross and partner don't seem to care enough to let the viewers know critical facts like that. I am envisioning the coming weeks when Deltha starts and JJ is the third corner and looking forward to it.

I think ( t h i n k) I saw Pollack in on one play, but that's all I think I noticed. Again, god forbid the CBS twosome should note him in the game...

Deltha played when the bengals were in nickel and probbley dime too.

bengals.com

Cornerback Deltha O'Neal, hampered by a sore knee, didn't start but played nickelback in switching positions with first-rounder Johnathan Joseph and made a nice knockdown on a long pass down the sideline. Joseph held up with the Bengals only giving up two passes of more than 20 yards against an offense that has traditionally liked to get it downfield.

So now it's a knee with Deltha? And here I thought it was a hamstring.

If Deltha isn't back by the Pitt game 100% then I fear it's a lingering/degenerative/season-long scenario and that's a problem.

I saw Pollack in on one play also - so far that cat's a bust until he proves otherwise. 17th overall pick and while he had flashes late last year, hasn't come close to being what he should be. I remember seeing Marvin laying into him a bit on the sidelines yesterday as Pollack looked confused and think it cost them a penalty if I remember correctly.

It would be nice to have him in the game full-time again and getting better - he's quite an upgrade to Jeanty ultimately if he can ever stay healthy.

Tired of all these pansy injuries! suck it up! :)

Yeah, saw Deltha break up the one pass, but no idea how much he played since Cross and partner don't seem to care enough to let the viewers know critical facts like that. I am envisioning the coming weeks when Deltha starts and JJ is the third corner and looking forward to it.

I think ( t h i n k) I saw Pollack in on one play, but that's all I think I noticed. Again, god forbid the CBS twosome should note him in the game...

Yep, he was. As for CBS...I think I'm glad I saw it in a bar with no sound.

The Bengals played a great, balanced game. I do think there was a noticeable hole with Odell's absence. The defensive line played pretty much perfectly, but the linebackers were a little inconsistent in taking advantage and getting to Larry Johnson. We were a little slow back there without Thurman and Pollack playing. His (LJ) yardage total was right where we'd want it, but he still had some big runs.

Could swore oneal was always listed as knee but he still played.

The Bengals played a great, balanced game. I do think there was a noticeable hole with Odell's absence. The defensive line played pretty much perfectly, but the linebackers were a little inconsistent in taking advantage and getting to Larry Johnson. We were a little slow back there without Thurman and Pollack playing. His (LJ) yardage total was right where we'd want it, but he still had some big runs.

true that,our Dline steps up and then we were missing our backers :P pollack wants to be behind sams big booty

I think my final thought on the game was how much it resembled a typical Patriot / Steeler game over the past few years with an obvious dash of Colts offensive style (no huddle no afraid to use the pass to set up the run) plus a little old Ravens defensive style (guys flying to the ball everywhere). Basically, I came out thinking how nice it is to see balance on all aspects of the game, taking a little positive from so many different successful teams over the years. Nice job all the way around.

B) Didn't get to see the game, so its kinda hard to tell ......... Overall I think its a little too early to tell much one way or the other. No doubt that the defense is better, but its hard to judge by how much considering the shape of the Chiefs line and the play calling ( which was even questioned by some of the Chiefs players. )

Didn't like that they ( Bengals ) still looked like they could be had on 3rd and long.

Offense looked good when they had to. They ( and the coaching staff ) showed that they were able to either score on a long drive ... or to grind it out and eat clock as the situation called for.

Two " certain " things can be established from this game. 1st The Bengals with continuity of vets and the addition of a few free agents are improved from last year. Schedule be dammmed .... I picked 12 as the number of wins for us this year and I didn't see anything that would make me back off of that.

Secondly .... the Chiefs with new coaching and a patchwork line aren't going to be as strong as they've been in recent years. Coach Edwards is going to have to establish his philosophy and identity with the team and ( as we saw with coach Lewis ) ... that'll take time. How much they'll tail off reamins to be seen. I still don't see them as being a push over at home ... or on the road for that matter.

Optimism reigns :cheers::cheers:

Defense, Defense, Defense. It all starts by stopping the run, and by shutting down Larry Johnson I think we are finally a force to be reakoned with on Defense. Not to mention all the pressure on the QB, thanks to the ends.

Did you guys see big Sam Adams busting through the line at the beginning of the game. On the first 3 plays he penetrated right through KC's line and would've stopped the run behind the line of scrimage twice if Larry would have ran between the tackles.

I swear, I almost feel like I have a 6th sense when it comes to our secondary. When Madeiu made the interception I had a feeling it was going to happen. I called my dad to tell him that we were about to get an interception, and b'fore he answered the phone williams got the tipped ball, lol.

That was a huge win for us; to be on the road @ KC against one of the toughest crowds and play the way we did, that's what a SB bound season is all about. KC didn't even have a chance....

Didn't like that they ( Bengals ) still looked like they could be had on 3rd and long.

KC was 5 for 15 on 3rd down conversions. That's pretty damn good.

Here's a quick run-down of their 3rd downs.

3rd and 9... gained 7 yards (punted on 4th and 2)

3rd and 4... converted (14 yard completion to Kennison)

3rd and 5... no gain. (kicked FG on 4th and 5)

3rd and 7... converted (8 yard completion to D. Hall)

3rd and 4... loss of 9 on a sack (punted on 4th and 13)

3rd and 17... loss of 8 on a sack (punted on 4th and 25)

3rd and 4... incomplete (punted on 4th and 4)

3rd and 8... converted (9 yard QB scramble)

3rd and 11... converted (25 yard screen pass to L. Johnson)

3rd and 12... loss of 5 on a sack (missed FG)

3rd and 2... incompletion (converted on 4th down with a fake punt)

3rd and 6... converted (10 yard completion to Gonzalez)

3rd and 6... incomplete (went for it on 4th down, and scored a TD)

3rd and 6... incomplete (sacked on 4th down)

3rd and 19... 13 yard pas to L. Johnson (converted on 4th down)

Early in the game they converted a 3rd and 4, and a 3rd and 7. One was to the TE when the game was already in hand, and other than that... we dominated 3rd down. Two of their 3rd down conversions occured on broken plays because we collapsed the pocket (the QB scramble, and the pass to L. Johnson), and we had 3 sacks on 3rd downs. I don't understand the complaint. This was one of the areas I was really excited about how we did. When the pressure was on, we came out on top.

Wow, I didn't realize that stat. I totally overlooked it. Thanks!

And Mem, thanks...I couldn't have said that any better.

That was a huge win for us; to be on the road @ KC against one of the toughest crowds and play the way we did, that's what a SB bound season is all about. KC didn't even have a chance....

Yup. Some -- notably Hobson -- have termed the game "ugly." After two days of digesting the Bengals' performance, my final thought is that another word is more appropriate: "dominating."

Really. On the road, in the rain, opening day. Offense puts up a workmanlike 23 point (and wasn't it LeBeau who said if the Bengals averaged 23 points a game they'd win 10 games?) while the defense surrenders just 3 points for 56 minutes, and 10 for the whole 60.

Yeah, that's a wow.

Here's a quick run-down of their 3rd downs.

3rd and 9... gained 7 yards (punted on 4th and 2)

3rd and 4... converted (14 yard completion to Kennison)

3rd and 5... no gain. (kicked FG on 4th and 5)

3rd and 7... converted (8 yard completion to D. Hall)

3rd and 4... loss of 9 on a sack (punted on 4th and 13)

3rd and 17... loss of 8 on a sack (punted on 4th and 25)

3rd and 4... incomplete (punted on 4th and 4)

3rd and 8... converted (9 yard QB scramble)

3rd and 11... converted (25 yard screen pass to L. Johnson)

3rd and 12... loss of 5 on a sack (missed FG)

3rd and 2... incompletion (converted on 4th down with a fake punt)

3rd and 6... converted (10 yard completion to Gonzalez)

3rd and 6... incomplete (went for it on 4th down, and scored a TD)

3rd and 6... incomplete (sacked on 4th down)

3rd and 19... 13 yard pas to L. Johnson (converted on 4th down)

Early in the game they converted a 3rd and 4, and a 3rd and 7. One was to the TE when the game was already in hand, and other than that... we dominated 3rd down. Two of their 3rd down conversions occured on broken plays because we collapsed the pocket (the QB scramble, and the pass to L. Johnson), and we had 3 sacks on 3rd downs. I don't understand the complaint. This was one of the areas I was really excited about how we did. When the pressure was on, we came out on top.

Thanks for putting that in proper perspective. Like I said, I was following it on the computer and it " seemed " as tho they did a lot better on 3rd and long than they obviously did. I knew that we'd given up like 46% last year and jumped to a conclusion. Like Joisey pointed out .... its good to read the stats so you don't do stuff like that huh! ............ meant HoosierCat ! sorry 'bout that B):cheers: