SAPP !?!?!?

ArmyBengal

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, NOW WAIT A DAMN SECOND!

How in the hell does Brown offer Sapp a 4 year deal?  What the hell is going on around here?!!!

Josh...somebodies drinkin' around here besides you and me!! :lol:

Seriously, I don't know what to say. Is this a desperation act or a planned FA possibility. You know, I was against Sapp coming to Cincy, mostly because I thought he'd kill our payroll. But, well, how, WHAT THE HELL?!

Redsfan.. wait till the deal is done to give the old " I told you so" speech.. that's just wrong man.. :lol:

Uh oh.. did I just give Mike Brown a compliment.. Sorry guys gotta go.. It's medicine time. !! :lol::D:lol:

Must've came out wrong, cause it was meant as a genuine compliment.

If everybody did give me all the I toldya so's that i've had coming since I've been on here ...... I could paper the house in them B)

Redsfan.. wait till the deal is done to give the old " I told you so" speech.. that's just wrong man..  :lol:

Uh oh.. did I just give Mike Brown a compliment.. Sorry guys gotta go.. It's medicine time. !! :lol:  :D  :lol:

Must've came out wrong, cause it was meant as a genuine compliment.

If everybody did give me all the I toldya so's that i've had coming since I've been on here ...... I could paper the house in them B)

you the man reds fan B)

My thoughts... even if they have already been said.

This could be huge. With Vincent chosing buffalo and Taylor talks going dead Marvin had to get us back in the big name drive again. Warren Sapp a great DT with a lot of attitude and presence could be just what we need. Also if we are to pay him tony Williams is most assuredly gone to give us cap room and I also look for a CD trade to be soon after. With Sapp comin that would also give Taylor even more reason to want to play in Cincy so that Vincents reasoning wont reappear.

Seriously, I don't know what to say. Is this a desperation act or a planned FA possibility. You know, I was against Sapp coming to Cincy, mostly because I thought he'd kill our payroll. But, well, how, WHAT THE HELL?!

Like I said in a couple other places, it looks like the Bengals' Plan B to me. If corner falls through, take the $$$ and throw it at veteran d-linemen instead. They had Lionel Dalton in, now they've offered Sapp, and supposedly they're the leading candidate for Gardner in June.

If they actually land Sapp, I will be stunned. I think he would sign in Baltimore for a sawbuck and a bowl of clam chowder before he'd sign in Cincy for any money.

I too would be shocked if we got Sapp. But the implications are huge and its huge for this franchise even before he plays a down. I mean, it would by far be the biggest free agent signing for the Bengals, it would open the door potentially to FAs in the future. Cincy is no longer used only as a bargaining tool. Im all for it, but once again, it would shock me.

This just in from the Bucs website:

He will most likely be a Bengal by the end of the week. They have been trying hard to land help at CB by pursuing both Vincent and Taylor heavily but getting snubbed by both players. With no other realistic help available in the secondary they will turn their attention to improving their pass rush instead. At least one of their starting DT's will be gone by the end of Free Agency, so signing Sapp and picking up a CB in the Draft is what I think they will do.

Expect Warren in a Bengals uniform very soon.

I'm all for signing Sapp, but 4 mill a year sounds steep. Makes me wonder if that 16 mill for 4 years is more like 2 mill this, then 3 mill, then 5 mill, then 6 mill. Or something like that where the last year or two will never happen?? That makes a lot more sense, especially with Marvin's intent to never overpay or tie up too much money.

Sapp ain't no dummy either Joisey... Cincy's 4 mill a year offer is twice what any other team has offered...

True -- but it's also not a blockbuster offer. The Chiefs and Ravens are the other big contenders for Sapp, and I would bet that as long as they're willing to match the up-front money (and I doubt the Bengals have offered a signing bonus bigger than $2-3 million), Sapp would rather go to one of last year's playoff teams rather than the still-suspect-by-many-players (and fans!) Bengals.

Personally, I don't see either the Chiefs or Ravens giving Sapp what he wants ($25-30 million over 6-7 years with $8 million guaranteed HA HA HA!). I do expect one of them to match Cincy's offer -- probably the Ravens, who still have a gazillion bucks in cap space and no one to spend it on.

I don't think the Ravens would match Cincy's offer. Our two teams are offering different things and it's a question of what Sapp wants. Baltimore has a solid defensive tradition, Ray Lewis and a shot at winning it all. Cincy is offering more money.

I agree with those that think that picking up Sapp would move you closer to being able to offer a Baltimore-type situation, but as of now, you have to go with the money.

Reports have already said that the Ravens and Raiders (i think it was the Raiders) have already said that they aren't going to even mess with Cincy's offer. They wanted him for like 2 mil a year... the team we really have to worry about is KC. They seem to have the cap space to match anything we throw out there. And they've already said something about matching the offer we put out there.

The signing has it's pluses and minuses (just like everything else):

The pluses are:

The signing of Sapp brings some respectibility back to the Free Agent Signings for the Bungles. Plus, Sapp is a fat ass that could make a difference???

Now the minuses:

Sapp is a lockerroom plague. He's got a notorious big mouth that gets him in trouble ALL THE TIME. He's on the downswing of his career ability-wise.

Overall, I'd say Sapp's minuses "outweigh" the pluses.

Furthermore, I'd say draft a DT in the 1st round with the 17th pick.

Sapp is probably no worse than Gibson, who was known to try to break appendages. It would great to have Tony Williams come off the bench or rework his contract. How about Will Smith on the end. Forget about winning games.

Black and Blue let's just kick some ass........

To compare Warren Sapp to Oliver Gibson is an insult. Oliver Gibson in his best days couldn't hold Sapps' jockstrap !. and Oliver Gibson could be born again (literally ) and not be able to be a 7 time pro-bowler.

--As to Barbarians point.. I agree with the drafting of a DT or De at 17. Vince Wilfork or Kenechi Udeze, or trade down to get Randy STarks . Wilfork and Starks add a 3rd man to the rotation.And would keep Thornton and Sapp fresh for the year. Udeze gives us a legitimate threat at the End spot. Duane Clemons is 32, and Carl Powell was only signed for 2 years, so a replacement must be found. Will Smith gives us a pass rusher with room to grow, but a DT in round 2 may still be the way to go even with a Sapp signing.

Did Sapp ever cause any locker room problems? Did ever bash ownership? Well we know that Dillon did, but Sapps problems have been things that he believes were wrong against the league, not his team. Yea, he does have a big mouth, but he's completely different than a TO or Dillon.

I have been relatively quiet on this issue only because at first I really thought bringing him here would be bad. But it makes one wonder, why don't teams offer him anything. Why is it quiet when Sapp is brought up on the FA market? Why doesn't TB try to retain his services? I think that's something to discuss.

But here's a quote from Nate Webster from Bengals.com

“I’m not sure of the situation. Warren is sacred about that kind of stuff. He’s like a coach on the field and I don’t care how old he is. He’s still the best defensive tackle in football. Watching him is like watching a basketball game the way he leaves those guys hanging with his moves.”

Why doesn't TB try to retain his services?

They didnt try to retain his services because gruden is going in another direction, otherwise younger and freeing up some room to improve his depth and offense. Hes letting Lynch walk as well and Lynch is one of the most stand up guys in the league.

That being said, im really tired of the CD bashing which might be warranted, but its getting a bit excessive. He had a legitimate gripe. He was being hounded by the media while he was out and once he comes back in good shape, gets no playing time even though he is running good, even in games hes running better than Rudi. Id be pissed as hell to if i was a franchise back for 7 yrs then 1 yr i am out for 8 weeks come back and because someone played solid while i was out, i get tossed to the side. Id be pretty damn hurt, at least my pride would be, especially after he had a chance to go elsewhere earlier in his career and decided to STAY with the bengals even though they were still having a poor record. His pride must have been crushed, and pride is what drives ppl, especially in football. I think his pride can be repaired with the bengals or elsewhere, but he needs to receive the respect that he deserves, not the s**t that hes receiving from fans that only see his attitude. THATS THE SAME FU**IN ATTITUDE THAT CARRIED US FOR 7 FRICKIN YEARS. One time he turns it around onto the team because, quite frankly they fu**ed him, u guys are gonna completely write him off? give me a break. :angry:

They didnt try to retain his services because gruden is going in another direction, otherwise younger and freeing up some room to improve his depth and offense. Hes letting Lynch walk as well and Lynch is one of the most stand up guys in the league.

This is definately an intreging direction for the 2002 SB champs. I'll be interested to see how this goes.

That being said, im really tired of the CD bashing which might be warranted, but its getting a bit excessive. He had a legitimate gripe. He was being hounded by the media while he was out and once he comes back in good shape, gets no playing time even though he is running good, even in games hes running better than Rudi.

I'm going to disagree with this. His playing time degradation came only during one season and had continuous problems with his groin all season. I do think that Dillon is pretty damned good when he's in excellent shape and has a purpose. But Dillon on this team doesn't have a purpose anymore and has burnt too many bridges in our locker room; that can be very cancerous.

Id be pretty damn hurt, at least my pride would be, especially after he had a chance to go elsewhere earlier in his career and decided to STAY with the bengals even though they were still having a poor record.

If I remember right, and that's not often :), his best offer was with the Bengals. I think his purpose is to play for money, he doesn't care the direction this team is heading. That's evident when he was hurt in game 2 and bitched after the big time victory against Baltimore in week 7 (?).

THATS THE SAME FU**IN ATTITUDE THAT CARRIED US FOR 7 FRICKIN YEARS

Carried us? He didn't carry us. We didn't have a winning record during this time. We didn't make the playoffs and while he was the feature back, we were the biggest joke in the NFL. He didn't do anything for us. This is oblivious to most supporters of Dillon and while he bitched and complained and obsorbed most of our money, he never helped us win.

One time he turns it around onto the team because, quite frankly they fu**ed him, u guys are gonna completely write him off? give me a break. 

That's his doing, not ours. If he helped us win, then there would be a loyalty clause; which in my position, there is none.

ya 2002, not 2003. They were exposed on defense and offense last year if you remember.

I dont remember correctly but their was more offers than from the bengals, and if he didnt want to be a bengal he would have left.

Biggest joke in the NFL? thats news to me... and how can you say he didnt carry us...he was our one bright spot on our whole roster. Wasn't his fault we were losing, he was doing everything he could to help us win.

I guess we will disagree on the dillon topic :blink: