SAPP !?!?!?

ArmyBengal

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's interesting....If he's at the right price great..he can help gt the team attention on the national stage, cause your average joe fan doesn't know football, they know names, and Sapp's name is huge....However, I'd be worried that another team would step up and offer him more cause right now the money is tight, and a team like the Cheifs would be able to offer more...Though I am shocked that the offer seems to be about 4 mill a year....That will push some teams out of the market right there...It's also interesting that they offered Sapp more than they offered Vincent or Taylor...I think that shows were the priorities are for Marvin (the D line)

It's also interesting that they offered Sapp more than they offered Vincent or Taylor...I think that shows were the priorities are for Marvin (the D line)

I believe you are right there, figuring on bulking up the D-line, put pressure on opposing quarterbacks and at the same time, take pressure off our youngsters in the secondary as it sounds like Weathersby is in a do or die situation...

WHODEY !!!

WOW!! If this does come to pass, it would open up the draft for more cornerbacks/safties, etc!! This will not sit well with many members here...but I for one am all for it!!

Too many folks are afraid of his "attitude". Well this defense needs attitude like an enema!! Get the old s**t out to make room for the new!! Change is here and I say we roll with this change!!

C'MON WARREN!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

I'm all in with you, Kirk. I have hated Sapp as a person, but can't deny his ability. He's getting up there but I feel like he will want to prove a lot. I think he's got a couple good years left.

You said it, Kirk. Bring on Warren and collapse that pocket. Make the way for Justin Smith's double digit sack season. Our line would instantly improve (improving our linebackers in the process).

I love it.

I have never been a fan of Sapp, but personal feelings aside I dont like the idea of signing aging players to big contracts.

Bengals should look at the Patriots not the redskins for an idea how to work free agency.

You know tigerpwz...it's not so much what he brings to the team physically. It's what he brings mentally!! He's a hard chargin', pissed if they don't go three plays and out, player!! Something sorely lacking in our defense. I say it's money well spent on our road to the Super Bowl. Be it this year (as I think) or next year! (as Kirkendall insists)

Im not saying hes not a big name signing the Bengals need, but just seems we will be paying way too much for him.

Just that when you hear that a team has offered an old big name free agent double what his likely market value is makes me think of the redskins and their sponge monkey of an owner Snyder.

I have always been a fan of the team concept and I hate when one player thinks hes bigger than the team. Thats the type of player I think Sapp is. If hes great in the locker room why did his own team tell him "dont call us we'll call you".

Bengals need young players that are hungry and will buy into the Marvin Lewis system with their whole hearts.

come on billie, i've got beads for you....take it off.....sapp is an interesting addition. lot of mouth to the point i never really cared about him. but you know what. that man can flat ass play the game. may be a great addition to help unload the unwanted, disenchanted remnants of previous years. with this move we can start building a new foundation of youth lead by the seasoned AND proven veterans that want to be here.

bengals.com is now reporting that too so lets get this going!

Bengals.com is also reporting that talks are back on with Taylor.

Taylors agent said that talks were almost dead, but that the Bengals had gotten back in touch and they had been very positive. His agent said they've got a way to go, but it was positive.

Taylor is also talking to the Seahawks and the 'skins.

i'll take sapp anyday. I cant recall the last time we've had a DT that required a double team. Our run defense will get tremendously better and this will allow us to definately take a CB in round 1, followed by a OL or a DT in round 2. I dont know about the 4 mill a year though, but he is a high profile player that will immediately bring attention to the bengals, which is a great great marketing move.

come on billie, i've got beads for you....take it off.....sapp is an interesting addition. lot of mouth to the point i never really cared about him. but you know what. that man can flat ass play the game. may be a great addition to help unload the unwanted, disenchanted remnants of previous years. with this move we can start building a new foundation of youth lead by the seasoned AND proven veterans that want to be here.

I like what you said.

Im not saying hes not a big name signing the Bengals need, but just seems we will be paying way too much for him.

Just that when you hear that a team has offered an old big name free agent double what his likely market value is makes me think of the redskins and their sponge monkey of an owner Snyder.

I have always been a fan of the team concept and I hate when one player thinks hes bigger than the team. Thats the type of player I think Sapp is. If hes great in the locker room why did his own team tell him "dont call us we'll call you".

Bengals need young players that are hungry and will buy into the Marvin Lewis system with their whole hearts.

Have to agree with a lot of what you say. This one has me shaking my head too. On the one hand he's a force, and DC's will have to game plan around him. On the other, I think he's a dirty player that will take every cheapshot that comes his way. I just don't like that type of player.

Dirty players are usually the result of coaches either allowing it or even teaching it. I don't think that our coaches will put up with cheapshots and dirty play in general, so it may not be a problem here. As to the locker room ........... I don't know. I know that Gruden said " I love Warren Sapp. It's just that sometimes I have to do what is right for the team. " Now I'm not sure what was meant by that, but I do know that Keyshawn didn't get a send off like that. He was jsut plain shown the door.

On a related note ..................

Bengals offered him ( reportedly ) 4 mil per year AND re-opened talks with Taylor that we know will be in the neighborhood of 3 mil per. Said they could do that because Vincent isn't a factor for money any longer. I don't know about any of the rest of us, but richmond mat could most likely figure that out and say .... uh uh ..... they need to come up with a couple more mil to make that work. Now who on the team would account for money like that ????????????????? Dillon maybe ?????? If Lewis knows he doesn't have to pay Vincent AND Dillon, then I think we're around the amount of money he needs. Think there's a deal for Dillon and that percipitated this ????

Leave it to these guys ........... I've been home for 5 days waiting for news. Now I'm going out tomorrw, and they start this. I gotta get me a laptop. :ph34r:

A Sapp signing is a sure bet that Tony Williams has seen his last day as a Bengal if a deal is done by friday. Personally I like the move, and despite the Signing, It would allow us to draft a lineman high ,whether or not it would still be in the first round, is another thing, but it all depends on what happens.

According to Bengals.com, 5.5 million is left to sign a big name player + Bobby Taylor. There is still room to sign 2 players at the league mins'. Which means Beckett back or Marion.

If we could walk away from FA with a DT,CB,LB, and 2 Safeties, that's a damn good free agency period, especially if we'll still have all our draft picks.

If we could walk away from FA with a DT,CB,LB, and 2 Safeties, that's a damn good free agency period, especially if we'll still have all our draft picks.

billy .............. kirk?

I nominate this as the understatement of the year.

As highly touted as last years draft was, this would eclipse that by a mile. Now I need to ask a question though. Everyone ( almost ) saw mikes hand in not signing a cb. Conversley, does anyone see mikes fingerprints on this deal ????? Just curious B)

billy .............. kirk?

I nominate this as the understatement of the year.

As highly touted as last years draft was, this would eclipse that by a mile. Now I need to ask a question though. Everyone ( almost ) saw mikes hand in not signing a cb. Conversley, does anyone see mikes fingerprints on this deal ????? Just curious B)

I would concur dear sir!! A most definitive understatement indeed!! B)