Any interest in CB Will Allen?

TJJackson

Depends on if you think he is going to be a starter and are willing to pay him like a starter. He going to want a lot of coin or else the Giants would be trying to keep him. I really dont know enough about him but his presence would surely give us more depth whether he was the starter or not. I'm sure that ML has a plan for how to use our cap space. Somehow I dont think there is space to pay for a starting CB and extend the OLine.

I would rather use the cap space that is available to go after Chris Hope.

He was actually one i had my eye on at CB since I know theres no chance of us signing a top tier guy. I figure someone like him, a mediocre safety, and a mediocre d-linemen would be a success as far as free agency for this team goes.

It could be worse. The Bengals could expand their search for mediocre players by burning a 1st round draft pick on a constantly injured player who'll do little more than fill a backup role.

And speaking of Chris Perry, and I was...the NFL Network reported yesterday that the New York Jets now intend to place the franchise tag on DE John Abraham, but only for the purpose of trading him, as their new front office isn't willing to pay his asking price. It made me wonder if the RB poor Jets couldn't be suckered into taking the very fragile Perry off the Bengals hands.

Granted, the Bengals would also have to offer the Jets something of value. <_<

He was actually one i had my eye on at CB since I know theres no chance of us signing a top tier guy. I figure someone like him, a mediocre safety, and a mediocre d-linemen would be a success as far as free agency for this team goes.

It could be worse. The Bengals could expand their search for mediocre players by burning a 1st round draft pick on a constantly injured player who'll do little more than fill a backup role.

And speaking of Chris Perry, and I was...the NFL Network reported yesterday that the New York Jets now intend to place the franchise tag on DE John Abraham, but only for the purpose of trading him, as their new front office isn't willing to pay his asking price. It made me wonder if the RB poor Jets couldn't be suckered into taking the very fragile Perry off the Bengals hands.

U been saving this up for a while i guess? Kinda weak and forced, but i respect the effort.

It sounds good and all.. but I'll never understand your hatred for Chris Perry, lol.

U been saving this up for a while i guess? Kinda weak and forced, but i respect the effort.

Well you know that means so much to me. That said, no I haven't "been saving this up for a while" as I hadn't heard the news that the Jets intended to tag and trade Abraham until yesterday. And since it would take something of real value to get Abraham in trade I figured the Bengals could put together a package of valuable assets, and then sorta throw Perry into the mix as an afterthought.

Rather fitting, don't you think?

First off, anyone who wants to trade Perry away at this point is a complete and utter moron who deserves to be shown a shiny corner in the middle of I-75 in the Lockland split. I'm sure they would be dumb enough go try to go get it at rush hour.

Secondly, Will Allen is a guy I wouldn't complain about signing, but he's certainly not a guy I think is essential at this point.

Given the WR situation, this ain't the year to be thinking about trading Chris Perry. I'd like to see him in the slot more running routes rather than getting his 5 yards a catch out of the backfield if the Bengals don't upgrade their 3rd WR position.

One problem I got with Perry is that he's overblown -- all the Chris Perry posters with the scratch and sniff crotch are a bit much. He's not a between the tackles runner yet and may never be. The advantage he brings in mismatches out of the backfield on stretch runs, swing passes, and screens vanishes vs. 3-4 defenses. He's decent picking up DBs on blitzes but is overmatched vs. LBs.

But Perry does bring excellent receiving skills to the field and does give good effort. Situationally in hurry up near the end of halves and games or vs. prevent with the Bengals down by multiple scores is where Perry is best suited. His use as a change of pace back can be effective but too much SUPERSTAR ends drives that could have otherwise have kept going.

As for Will Allen....no interest.

The chances of the Bengals drafting a conerback in the first or second round seem to be a lot higher than people would have thought the day after the season ended. I'd rather go that route than spend money on a free agent corner such as Allen, whom I wouldn't expect to be a big upgrade over James.

Given the WR situation, this ain't the year to be thinking about trading Chris Perry. I'd like to see him in the slot more running routes rather than getting his 5 yards a catch out of the backfield if the Bengals don't upgrade their 3rd WR position.

Isn't it funny how the best argument for keeping a RB who was never needed is the potential value he may provide as a 3rd wideout?

Schweiny is dead on about one thing however, as no real argument can be made for Perry as a between-the-tackles runner. In fact, he's as weak as a kitten in that role. You might even say that when it comes to running backs Chris Perry is one hell of a wideout.

And do I have to remind the Perry crotch sniffers (Props) that most of the fans who supported his draft selection did so by pointing out the insurance it provided if Rudi Johnson left in free agency. Well that didn't happen, did it? Nor did Perry provide anything as a 3rd down RB that bargain back Kenny Watson hadn't given the team.

But let's forget the fairly forgettable Chris Perry for a minute. What single factor is listed most often during discussions about the Bengals prolonged failure to produce a quality defense. It's the lack of a pass rush, right? So why shouldn't the team consider trading away an offensive player who'll never earn a starting role with this team in exchange for a still young high impact pass rushing DE? Why wouldn't a team be wise to trade away a spare part for real defensive impact?

Last, I'll play in heavy traffic on the I-75 the moment some of you guys pull your faces out of Chris Perry's lap. Or is that dark and damp location the best place to watch for Perry to finally break out? (((Slurp)))

:lol:

As for Will Allen....no interest.

Don't know why. I've watched him play here with the Jints and he would be a very good pickup. He might not even turn out to be too pricey for the Bengals, since it looks like DB will be pretty crowded in FA this year.

I'm pretty sure Will Allen should command a pricier contract than most of the UFA CBs and likely cap casulaties. It looks like the Giants are expecting him to drive himself out of their price range because it's probably not the best move to let a proven starting CB walk of your playoff team if it's otherwise avoidable.

After Nate Clements is franchised, it's going to pretty much be UFAs like Raiders nickel back Renaldo Hill, Raiders franchise tag flop Charles Woodson, RW McQuarters, the Vikes Brian Williams, Bucs Juran Bolden, and Jags Kenny Wright.

Potential cap casulaties like Ty Law, Duane Starks, Denard Walker, Ahmed Plummer, Eric Warfield and Dexter McCleon might get signed first but they should be less than Allen except for Law.

But let's forget the fairly forgettable Chris Perry for a minute. What single factor is listed most often during discussions about the Bengals prolonged failure to produce a quality defense. It's the lack of a pass rush, right? So why shouldn't the team consider trading away an offensive player who'll never earn a starting role with this team in exchange for a still young high impact pass rushing DE? Why wouldn't a team be wise to trade away a spare part for real defensive impact?

I hear you Hair. The Jets look like they'll franchise J Abe and may be looking to trade him after that. With a cap purge coming if they can't get Pennington to take a much cap-friendlier deal, I would suspect Curtis Martin will be gone, leaving Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston to handle RB duties. The Bengals ought to consider that kind of deal, but I still doubt Perry will be traded.

I hear you Hair. The Jets look like they'll franchise J Abe and may be looking to trade him after that. With a cap purge coming if they can't get Pennington to take a much cap-friendlier deal, I would suspect Curtis Martin will be gone, leaving Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston to handle RB duties. The Bengals ought to consider that kind of deal, but I still doubt Perry will be traded.