There Is No Way Bengal Fan's Can Be Patient!

walzav29

How the hell can anyone one of us be patient? We have been through so much misery with this team that I feel they are lucky that 1 Bengal fan is left in the stadium. I drove from Michigan to watch another pathetic display of defense where Jamal runs up and down the fields like he was going against the Christoper Reeves all-star team. I'm sure Marvin hasn't been a Bengal fan his whole life and he does have reason to feel that it will take him a little time to get things right, but not any true blue Bengal fan. I'm sick, sick, sick of waiting! When I'm watching the game this Sunday these A$$holes had better make a tackle. If not I'll just keep on watching, because I'm obviously sick in the head for watching these clowns with their 4 playoff appearances in 22 years. It's like I'm a God Damned Clippers fan. Woooo Go Bengals! If anything a Bengal fans have more of a right to be impatient at this point than any fan in the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone has felt the pain you are feeling. We've all been there. However, unfortunately, patience is exactly what is needed right now. The worst team in the NFL from 1991-2002 does not get fixed in one year. We are on the right track. We all hoped we would be 3-0 or 2-1 right now. 1-2 is better than last years 0-3 opening. Keep in mind, the biggest difference between the 2004 Bengals and the 2003 Bengals are injuries. We were a lot healthier last year at this time.

Palmer will need some time, but is our franchise QB. Now is the time for him to get experience.

The defense that played against Miami needs to show up every week. I do not know what happened against the Ravens, but hopefully we do not see that again this year.

Every Bengal fan has a right to not be patient....but that is exactly what we need right now. We have finally cleared the dark days. It may not look that bright right now, but it is.

And this season is FAR from over!

Hello. I'm a Bengals fan. I'm also patient. Nice to meet you.

It amazes me how worked up people get over football. I'm able to be patient, because watching football is something I do for fun. It's not a part of my life that I see worth getting upset about. I want to see the Bengals do well just as much as anyone. Still, if they don't...it's not the end of the world.

The Bengals miss Warrick, Sapp and Spikes badly.

Warrick I'll agree with.

They won't miss Sapp as they never had him, and Spikes going led to a few fresh faces coming, so I'm not sure they'll really miss him. They do need a DT and a LB who can both make plays - and make them count.

Everyone has felt the pain you are feeling. We've all been there. However, unfortunately, patience is exactly what is needed right now.

Bob, What's even more unfortunate is the lack of patience people will have left in their tank due to this long consecutive string of losing seasons. Nothing comes in an infinite quantity, not to mention the experts asked for patience during each of those seasons too, just as you're asking for now. :unsure:

Maybe insead of that lame "B", the new Bengal logo should have been the image of a Bengal fan standing outside an empty PBS, impatiently glaring at his watch and wondering loudly, "When the hell are they gonna FINALLY show up!?!

Bob, What's even more unfortunate is the lack of patience people will have left in their tank due to this long consecutive string of losing seasons. Nothing comes in an infinite quantity, not to mention the experts asked for patience during each of those seasons too, just as you're asking for now.

The difference between the 1991-2002 teams and the 2003-???? teams is like night and day however. We had bad, bad, bad leadership top to bottom. Bad coaches: Shula????, Ken Anderson QB Coach/one time offensive coordinator, coaches who fielded a team so out of shape the opposing team coaches were laughing that certain plays worked! Coaches who had jobs JUST because they were loyal to the Brown family, nothing to do with ability. We still have the top level management of Mike Brown and Katie Blackburn. However, they brought in Marvin Lewis and said "get it done". The whole attitude has changed. I'm no expert, but I see a gigantic difference between those two "era's".

:( We have a lot of injuries on offense that are affecting our ability to run the ball and pass protect. Warrick is a huge loss. TJ/Chad are doing great, but Warrick is the X Factor.

:( We have injuries that are affecting the defense. Not their ability to tackle, that one is bad, real bad. That is fixable. But when key players are out that makes it tough.

:( We have essentially a rookie QB who has shown great poise in the pocket. But he is still in his first year and will make mistakes. He will be that much better as the year and years go on.

:( The worst team from 1991-2002 DOES NOT GET FIXED IN ONE SEASON. You cannot clear out all the players you do not want at once. Yet we still have a lot of youth on that team. They need experience too.

:) I'd be (almost) willing to bet a paycheck some veterans who do not get the job done this year are replaced. Just like the other ones Coach Lewis has sent packing.

It's only been three games. We are 1-2 and so easily could have been 2-1, but we're not. That's the way it goes. Once all the guys are back from injury we'll get a better idea of where we stand as a team. Most of the problems I've seen this year are fixable or injury related.

But there is absolutely no comparison between the Coach Lewis led Bengals and the teams from 1991-2002. I find it hard sometimes to remember that because I've been a fan of this team since our very first year ('68) and I want to win. I'm sick of losing too.

But I know the dark days are over...and that helps!

:player: Go Bengals!!!!! :player:

The Bengals miss Warrick, Sapp and Spikes badly.

Ah, yeah, they sure do miss Spikes. Just look how he is spearheading Buffalo to a dominant start to the year...oh, wait, they are 0-2? What? But Spikes is godlike! Yeesh.

I think too many expected too much out of this team too soon.

Thats so right!

I don't know why people are bitchin about waiting. The Bengals have one ok year and everybody thinks they are going to the Superbowl. 8-8 is a start, its a great start considering they only had 2 wins the year before. Yeah there are a lot of teams that turned the corner quick like the Panthers and Patriots but you have to consider those teams were built in the draft and had a chance to develope depth. The Bengals are starting to get depth but due to injuries and bad drafting things are thin right now. I think they will get better, give them a little time. Think of this time last year how many of us were thinking playoffs. I would have been happy with 6 wins. I think they snuck up on a lot of teams too, and they didn't quit when the going got tough. Every game this year they have been in it till the end. How many times can you say that about past teams.

Absolutely!

One way to keep things in perspective is that 1991-2002, or for that matter 1968-2002 is history, along with 2003.

As far as I'm concerned, we are in year 2 of the Marvin Lewis era. And the season is FAR from over. Attitude alone is awesome. During 1991-2002, more often than not we expected to lose or wondered how we were going to lose. The team probably felt that way too! Not now...we expect to win! Pretty sweet. I like that feeling a whole lot better. It may make it harder if we lose, but I'll take a winning attitude any day!

The Marvin Lewis era has only just begun! All the more reason to be patient! Dig deep for patience if you have to, but do it! I'm not saying to not complain or point out problems (constructively), just realize how much better off we are now than during the dark years. It really has changed for the better unlike any of those "other" years.

Oh yeah! We are going to be good....very good! No, great!!! And unlike the false hope of those other years, now it IS real. And I firmly believe that.

Go Bengals!!! Beat the Steelers!!!!

:player: :player: :player:

I agree with all of the positive comments on this thread, but I (and the rest of the fans) have a good reason to be disappointed with the defense, especially the line. After all, claims were made that we were bringing in a stopper at MLB (Webster), Hardy goes back to his natural position, all of the defense is one year wiser under the new scheme with the defensive coordinator, etc. We had expectations because we were told by ML and the rest that the defense had improved. Well, that does not seem to be the case. Fire Frazier.

I agree with all of the positive comments on this thread, but I (and the rest of the fans) have a good reason to be disappointed with the defense, especially the line. After all, claims were made that we were bringing in a stopper at MLB (Webster), Hardy goes back to his natural position, all of the defense is one year wiser under the new scheme with the defensive coordinator, etc. We had expectations because we were told by ML and the rest that the defense had improved. Well, that does not seem to be the case. Fire Frazier.

I agree with the disappointment in the defense because I know they can play better than they have shown, even with the injuries and young players. But because of the injuries and young players I am just not ready to say fire the defensive coordinator or position coaches or to say that whoever is a bust. It's only been 3 games. The season is just starting.

I'm not ready to write off the D this year yet. Frankly, I thought they showed some solid improvement against the Ravens versus their performance against the Jets. Both games featured a back who ran all over us, but Curtis Martin's 196 yards came on lots of 5, 8, and 11-yard type pickups. He only had two 20+ yard runs, one for 21 and one for 24 and a TD. That was just a dominant performance by Martin and a total failure by our D.

Jamal Lewis got nearly as many yards, but by contrast he got something like 125 of them off of just 3 plays (75 off of just 1 run). Most of the time he touched the ball, we corralled him; take away the 3 big runs and he was something like 15-60.

No doubt that much of that difference can be explained by pointing to our defensive backfield and how much it was banged up in the opener versus the Ravens game. But I also think they're getting better against the run. The trouble now isn't the run defense per se, IMHO, it's the habit of giving up the big play -- which is usually a sign that the D is overpursuing, getting out of position, and/or just missing tackles, all of which we saw last Sunday. Discipline and practice can overcome that.

The question for this Sunday is, can Caleb Miller step up? He didn't fare well in his outing against the Jets, but when you throw a third-rounder into the deep end of the pool like that, you kind of expect bad things to happen. I have absolutely no doubt that the Steelers will try to pick on him. It also looks like Ratliff may see time at safety, which is a recipe for disaster when you're talking about covering wideouts like Hines Ward -- even with a rook throwing the ball.

It's gonna be an interesting game...

I agree with all of the positive comments on this thread, but I (and the rest of the fans) have a good reason to be disappointed with the defense, especially the line.  After all, claims were made that we were bringing in a stopper at MLB (Webster), Hardy goes back to his natural position, all of the defense is one year wiser under the new scheme with the defensive coordinator, etc.  We had expectations because we were told by ML and the rest that the defense had improved.  Well, that does not seem to be the case.  Fire Frazier.

I'm not ready to write off the D this year yet. Frankly, I thought they showed some solid improvement against the Ravens versus their performance against the Jets. Both games featured a back who ran all over us, but Curtis Martin's 196 yards came on lots of 5, 8, and 11-yard type pickups. He only had two 20+ yard runs, one for 21 and one for 24 and a TD. That was just a dominant performance by Martin and a total failure by our D.

Jamal Lewis got nearly as many yards, but by contrast he got something like 125 of them off of just 3 plays (75 off of just 1 run). Most of the time he touched the ball, we corralled him; take away the 3 big runs and he was something like 15-60.

No doubt that much of that difference can be explained by pointing to our defensive backfield and how much it was banged up in the opener versus the Ravens game. But I also think they're getting better against the run. The trouble now isn't the run defense per se, IMHO, it's the habit of giving up the big play -- which is usually a sign that the D is overpursuing, getting out of position, and/or just missing tackles, all of which we saw last Sunday. Discipline and practice can overcome that.

The question for this Sunday is, can Caleb Miller step up? He didn't fare well in his outing against the Jets, but when you throw a third-rounder into the deep end of the pool like that, you kind of expect bad things to happen. I have absolutely no doubt that the Steelers will try to pick on him. It also looks like Ratliff may see time at safety, which is a recipe for disaster when you're talking about covering wideouts like Hines Ward -- even with a rook throwing the ball.

It's gonna be an interesting game...

We also get Beckett back this week, which should help contain those long runs. He's not a superstar, but I liked what I saw from him last year.

That is exactly what I was about to post in another thread. I think, in some cases, the defense is too fired up to make a play and get out of position, which can make a defense look really bad. Especially by a talented RB like Martin and Lewis.

We face a devastating RB combo in Bettis and Staley this weekend. You can bet the coaches are hammering home being in the right position to make the play.

Along those lines, the 75 yard run Sunday can be directly attributed to Justin Smith overpursuing and missing Lewis' cutback. If he stays put (and he's done a pretty good job of playing the run) then Lewis is stopped. This team must defend the run with all 11 defenders cuz it does not have the run stuffing defensive tackles this "Raven Like" defense requires.

Been a Bengal fan since I moved east in '71 at the age of 7. Seen all the ups and downs (or downs and ups?). My dissapointment stems from Lewis not getting immediate Dline help either in the draft or in free agency and this non-move has reared it's ugly head so far this season. Things will not improve against the run this year especially with the youth at linebacker we will have to depend on.

However . . .

I WILL NOT GIVE UP ON THIS TEAM!!! They are my team win or lose. I will cheer them, critique them, defend them (my two partners are a Browns fan and a Steelers Fan), and ultimately love them the best I can. Yes, I'm dissapointed right now as I see the problems this team has, but this team is better this year than last years and they will be better next year. IN MARVIN WE TRUST!!

(or something like that . . .)