Week 3: Bengals @ Jets

HoosierCat

That 0-2 stat isn't worth shit.   0-3 is the more damming stat historically.   I believe 0-2 stat is from 7 playoff team era which is 2 seasons.

I think historically it 9% 0-2 but the sample size is not reliable at all.     Its like 400 teams since the 70s.    There's just too many ifs and buts to rely on 0-2 mark.     0-3 is the more damming stat because you are seeping into a trend that reflects a team truly not playing well.

• Like 1

1 in 10 0-2 teams have made the playoffs since 1990. That’s not an insurmountable trend.

But it won’t matter unless they turn it around significantly and immediately. 1-2 is still shit, and beating good teams/good quarterbacks is just about impossible playing remotely as poorly as we’ve seen so far.

Simply put would you bet $1,000 for less than 1/10 return that none of 0-2 teams make the playoffs?   The historical stat says it has 90% probability which translates to worse than 1 to 10 odds.

Raiders, Bengals, Falcons, Panthers maybe Titans.      I would not.     However, I would consider 9-1 on the opposite side with 10% chance of it happening.

I couldn't care less about that 0-2 stat to be honest.
I do care that the team seemingly cannot figure out what they are doing until the 4th quarter.

Additional, I do care that Burrow is on pace to get sacked more than any QB in history.
I said this before, while some of those sacks are on him, those hits are going to pile up and injuries are going to happen.
Seeing Parsons have a free untouched path to blow his ass up was concerning.

Which Jets team will we get?  The one that got beat up by Baltimore or yesterday's version against the Browns?
Personally, I think the Jets just got lucky as hell yesterday with blown coverages and a recovered onsides kick.
However, that doesn't really help a Bengals team that can't see the forest for the trees.
Please establish a run game and then take shots.  Don't take the first snap planning the big strike.

I was watching the game last night and loved seeing Green Bay with Jones and Dillion in the backfield at the same time.
The Bears defense didn't seem to know how to deal with what they were seeing.  They had almost 200 yards on 33 carries combined.

I have no idea how this will turn out.  It would be nice if I felt compelled to watch the whole game, which I have yet to do.

They have probably the worst situation on the line right now.   It is not a singular failure point.    It would be so easy just to blame Volson.   Quite frankly all 5 are no where near their expectation level of play.     I would say run the ball but they struggle getting push from down to down.     Only thing I can go back to is lack of reps.   Coaching.  Can't be talent everyone loved their PFF grades and signings in the off season.

I was a little hesitant on Collins just because it was weird that no one would trade for a high level tackle considering how hard they are to obtain.   Volson never was really sold on that draft pick, but didn't want to see him start (nothing against him) its just Volson starting is just another sign of not being able to coach guys up to get them to play.  

They've turned over the O-line room.  Changed coaches.  Signed proven NFL vets.     Still can't block worth a shit.

Game planning is not going to solve what you've seen the first two weeks.  They are physically getting run over. 

Volson isn’t the issue (he had a PFF grade of 87.6 vs. the pass yesterday). The problem is Jonah and Collins.

Collins I have some hope for because it looks mostly like a communications issue on his end. That’s fixable with time. Jonah’s just been getting beat, repeatedly.

10 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Volson isn’t the issue (he had a PFF grade of 87.6 vs. the pass yesterday). The problem is Jonah and Collins.

Collins I have some hope for because it looks mostly like a communications issue on his end. That’s fixable with time. Jonah’s just been getting beat, repeatedly.

Interior is an issue just like tackle.    PFF users that treat those grades like the Bible never account for the scheme/expectations.     Sure if the Bengals want to be a dumpster fire offense the entire year then interior line isn't an issue. 

However,  its reasonable to expect a top 5/top 10 offense and deep playoff run.    Interior is an issue just the same.    Type logic displayed above is the weakness of just looking a PFF grades. 

Bengals could jump every lineman's grade up 20 points next week by simply going back to the Brian Finley gameplan.  Wouldn't score.  Wouldn't win but the PFFs would show improvement.

This also needs top be addressed.

There were four or five times yesterday when Mixon had a chance for a big gain if he could just escape one tackle…but nah. Unless the line plows him a wide open hole big enough to drive a semi through, he’s going down, and even then if a defender manages to just brush him lightly with a fingertip, it’s over.

Unfortunately since he is the highest paid player on the offense right now, there’s no chance he doesn’t play, and play a lot.

I said it in the other thread.  At this point they need to get more creative in what they are doing.
Get a fucking fullback if you need to, get Evans more snaps if you need to, do whatever the fuck you need to.
Just go into a game not thinking you are going to win because they couldn't stop you last year.

I swear it's like they didn't change a think and just thought other teams wouldn't figure them out.
And people really need to stop saying the defense is doing their part.  They aren't. A whopping 2 sacks over 2 games is shit.
They haven't picked off a single pass.  They get next to no penetration and Hubbard is the only one with more than 1 tackle for loss.

Coaches need to make sure they are ready and the players need to execute.  
They look like they are going through motions out there and the frustration is very apparent.

38 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I said it in the other thread.  At this point they need to get more creative in what they are doing.
Get a fucking fullback if you need to, get Evans more snaps if you need to, do whatever the fuck you need to.
Just go into a game not thinking you are going to win because they couldn't stop you last year.

I swear it's like they didn't change a think and just thought other teams wouldn't figure them out.
And people really need to stop saying the defense is doing their part.  They aren't. A whopping 2 sacks over 2 games is shit.
They haven't picked off a single pass.  They get next to no penetration and Hubbard is the only one with more than 1 tackle for loss.

Coaches need to make sure they are ready and the players need to execute.  
They look like they are going through motions out there and the frustration is very apparent.

Not to mention the defense has played some pretty shitty teams, and the QBs they have played have been bad. Both those teams o-lines are not great and they just don’t get pressure. What will happen when they play these good teams, hopefully they can hold there own. 

I have just read multiple takes about how the defense is doing their job and don't be pointing fingers at them.
Well, they aren't and should fingers pointed at them just as much as the offense.
Mitchell Trubisky and (shit I had to look up his name) Cooper Rush is who they have faced.
Seriously defense ??  You don't deserve ANY criticism ??  You all suck equally at this point.

Get back at it and STFU.

8 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Yea I was calling for Evens yesterday, it makes no sense to me why they don’t play him more. 

$$$. Again, Mixon is the *highest paid offensive player* on the team (and the fourth-highest paid overall). You get paid, you play. That’s always been the rule in Cincy and TBF it’s that way most places. That leaves taking snaps from Perine and they appear to trust him more than Evans, possibly due to blitz pickup skills, I dunno.

I'm just exhausted with the o-line issues at this point, and yeah not a big fan of Mixon either ultimately - they could use a difference-maker back there who can make people miss, create and break-off a big run more often.  In other words rotate someone in and keep the defenses guessing - that offense looks preseason-esque and is so vanilla and predictable as hell.  

Just one of the worst post-Superbowl coaching jobs in the history of the NFL, as the Bengals' I think are the only modern team to go 0-2 after a SB appearance or something like that.

7 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I have just read multiple takes about how the defense is doing their job and don't be pointing fingers at them.
Well, they aren't and should fingers pointed at them just as much as the offense.
Mitchell Trubisky and (shit I had to look up his name) Cooper Rush is who they have faced.
Seriously defense ??  You don't deserve ANY criticism ??  You all suck equally at this point.

Get back at it and STFU.

There’s some weird shit going on with the defensive line rotation (see below). Hubbard, Hill and Hendrickson are out there all day, which is going to wear them out and make them much less effective. Ossai is getting basically no snaps and when he is in they’ve been putting him inside where he’s useless. I have no idea why but guys are not being used right.

33 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

$$$. Again, Mixon is the *highest paid offensive player* on the team (and the fourth-highest paid overall). You get paid, you play. That’s always been the rule in Cincy and TBF it’s that way most places. That leaves taking snaps from Perine and they appear to trust him more than Evans, possibly due to blitz pickup skills, I dunno.

True and I guess that’s why there first rounder this year only played 3 snaps yesterday, they could have used him out there I thought. Having 3 safeties out there at times I think would be great. I’ll be interested in seeing if he plays more in a 3 safety package later .

I can understand being upset after 0-2 start.    To be honest Mixon and Defense aren't on my list of problems.      My list isn't really that deep.

They did shit during Training Camp.   They can't block anybody consistently run or pass.   Burrow was shit the first game.        Going deeper than that is a waste of time and my hope is the lack of hitting in training camp will subside and they'll be in the playoff mix come November.       There's 1 rookie on offense.    The rest are proven and have produced at a high level in the NFL, they can't all suck this bad.    At least I hope.

Defense not perfect but is playing winning football.    Joe Burrow getting 3 straight passes for 8 yards to end a game where FG gets you a lead?    Doesn't make sense.   Just like a blocked XP and McPhearson FG miss.     I hope this shit evens out. 

Just when you think this coaching staff can’t get any more stupid, they go and say stupid shit! Unreal maybe if Taylor ran an NFL camp played a little in preseason, instead of thinking they were invisible because they played in a Super Bowl there communication would be better.  Just freaking fix it and shut up!

• Like 1