2022 Offseason Roster Notes

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I like the positions taken (OT, CB, OG) but not the players chosen

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/3/1/22955698/bengals-3-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-coby-bryant-cincinnati-bearcats

I want nothing to do with Raimann in particular til round 5 or so, and yeah, I know he wont last til then :-)

All of those picks are reaches in my opinion and would absolutely HATE that draft.
The TV and dog had better watch out if that were to come to pass.

-Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson was still on the board when he took Raimann.  Give me Booth with absolutely NO question.
-Since we took a CB in the first, we won't need Bryant.  This is who is on the board for the Bengals 2nd round pick.
Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor
Damone Clark, LB, LSU
Sean Rhyan, OT/OG, UCLA  (This is the guy I would have taken in the 2nd over a Bryant Selection)
-Now that we took O-line this is who is on the board in for the Bengals 3rd round pick.
Marcus Jones, CB, Houston
Quay Walker, LB, Georgia
Nick Cross, S, Maryland  (If Bates doesn't get extended, give me Cross here.  If not, give me the return man in Jones.)

So instead of:
Raimann, Bryant, and Munford (who I hate that early)
Booth, Rhyan, and Cross/Jones

NOTE: None of this may make a difference after free agency...

I love the Cobe pick in the 2nd.    IMO, he was very impressive vs. Alabama.   Both UC corners were. 

I think the Tackles are still shaking out, so I'm not sure about one of them at the end of the first.   Just feels like a lazy mock giving the Bengals whatever comes next on the OL list in the first round.    I could easily see a DT in that spot along with C/G.

18 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I doubt Pacman is a reliable source, and Jensen is not my first choice among FA centers, but.......yeah, it'd be a BIG upgrade

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/adam-jones-bengals-ryan-jensen-free-agency

While I'd be thrilled to get Jensen, in TJ's perfect FA world, gimme the Rams OC Brian Allen instead.

Yeah but.....Jensen brings Additude, a toughness, a nastiness that we have desperately been missing on the oline.  Haven't had a Center like that since Ole Buckethead and I for one would be over the moon.

well, I did say I would be thrilled to get Jensen :-)

I could be, uhm, more thrilled tho :-)

god, I do miss Buckethead.  One of the most underrated Bengals players ever.  The average Bengals fan wouldnt know who Richie Braham was if I showed them a picture and provided his name.  "was that guy on the practice squad or something?"

Now of course whenever I mention Reggie Myles, people swoon about the guy. :-)

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I like the positions taken (OT, CB, OG) but not the players chosen

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/3/1/22955698/bengals-3-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-coby-bryant-cincinnati-bearcats

I want nothing to do with Raimann in particular til round 5 or so, and yeah, I know he wont last til then :-)

There are a lot of observers way higher on Raimann than we are in here. 

A couple of things to note...

1.  I think it's about who is on the board when the Bengals go on the clock.
While I want them to address needs, please don't reach for need when a clearly more talented option exists.
In other words, don't take a player who isn't in the top 15 of his position, when a player in the top 5 of his is available.
Granted, I'm not suggesting we take the 5th best QB early on, but you get my point.

2. Adam Jones... please SHUT THE FUCK UP.
While I would have NO issue with Jensen becoming a Bengals and anchoring the middle of the o-line, we aren't even in the legal tampering part of free agency.  The only thing happening by claiming the deal is almost done on March 1st, is setting the organization up.  Stop trying to beat others to the news and GO AWAY.  I mean seriously, isn't there some police officer you've just been dying to spit on or wish death upon.  Go do what you are good at these days.

21 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Yeah but.....Jensen brings Additude, a toughness, a nastiness that we have desperately been missing on the oline.  Haven't had a Center like that since Ole Buckethead and I for one would be over the moon.

PFF linked the Bengals to Jensen for the same amount so?????   Seems unlikely to me.  I don't think they spend 13 mil on cap room on a Center.  

Yes, big upgrade. 

Regarding Raimann, he might be the next big thing and if we take him, I will root for him.
I simply don't think he's worth a 1st round pick at this point and don't see that view changing.
This team cannot wait a couple years for a 1st rounder to develop on the o-line when we already have Carmen needing to progress.

New Mel mock out. He has the Browns trading up to 9.

9. Cleveland Browns (via mock trade with DEN)

Drake London, WR, USC

The Browns have a void at wide receiver and have to add better players around Baker Mayfield. He has shown that he can be an above-average NFL quarterback when he has help around him, and Cleveland should prioritize a top-tier pass-catcher in this draft. The team had just one receiver with more than 35 catches last season (Jarvis Landry with 52).

London is a 6-foot-5 aerial threat with the traits to be an end zone weapon. He averaged 11 catches and 136 yards per game last season, before he broke his ankle in late October. He would make Mayfield better.

He also has the Saints trading up for a WR with Baltimore, then has Balti take Penning at 18.

Goes with Malik Willis to Pitt at 20.

By the time 31 rolls around Johnson (Bucs) and Raimann (Fins) are gone too. So...

31. Cincinnati Bengals

Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington

Why no offensive linemen here? Because the Bengals shouldn't force it to try to fill their biggest need. In this scenario, I didn't have another lineman with a Round 1 grade; Daniel Faalele (Minnesota) and Tyler Smith (Tulsa) are more likely to go in the first 15 picks in the second round. Cincinnati, which has salary-cap space, could also address the position in free agency.

Instead I went with a corner in Gordon who has the length and physical traits to be a No. 1 guy in the NFL. He had two interceptions last season and showed some high-end coverage traits.

On Adam Jones - yes, please STFU. 

No one is allowed to negotiate with FAs right now, much less come to basic contract terms like you've mentioned, and so acting like the Bengals have this one sewn up leads only to potential tampering charges for them if they do happen to sign him when FA begins

so in sum -- S T F U

(I really should have covered that aspect in my original post.  sorry Army.)

I like Kyler Gordon a lot.  #31 a lot ?? 
Again, if there is no other option available, don't reach for a lower prospect when a better one exists.
If there are no other OT's/OG's thought to have #31 talent, I have less issue with Gordon (or some other player) at that point.

46 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I like Kyler Gordon a lot.  #31 a lot ?? 
Again, if there is no other option available, don't reach for a lower prospect when a better one exists.
If there are no other OT's/OG's thought to have #31 talent, I have less issue with Gordon (or some other player) at that point.

He's got the Lions taking Matt Corral at 32. In that case you would have to think their phone might ring with an offer to trade down. 

29 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Im more about trading up (if trading at all) this year

quality over quantity for a super bowl team

if we do trade down, my hope would be for upgraded picks in future years rather than additional picks in 2022

Agreed, love to find a way to get up in the late teens to get Linderbaum