AFC Championship Weekend: Bengals @ Chiefs

HoosierCat

2 minutes ago, Stripes said:

So.

Lou Anarumo.

Miracle adjustments shut down Mahomes and the Chiefs twice in one month. Two second halves and one OT, 6 points total.

Sorry.

It's unreal. Listen to the Mays pod I linked...

1 minute ago, membengal said:

Absolutely will. The dude seemed to just bypass a league-wide problem "how to contain the Chiefs consistently" as if they're playing defense against any old team. I can't wait to get more details.

1 minute ago, membengal said:

Good stuff. Thanks for the link. 

Toward the end of the segment there are some comments about how the Bengals built a working defense in free agency (which is completely true). Given the copycat nature of the NFL I would not be surprised to see the numbers go up for defensive FAs this March more than you might expect.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, membengal said:

I love the third reply: This is beautiful because it totally drowns out whatever nonsense Romo was spewing.

(And he *was* horrible. So bad that I quit watching the game on gamepass and switched over to listening to Dan & Lap about halfway through Q1.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Absolutely will. The dude seemed to just bypass a league-wide problem "how to contain the Chiefs consistently" as if they're playing defense against any old team. I can't wait to get more details.

Hoosier is right, it was an excellent listen. Quick preview - it was not as simple as "they put 8 in coverage" - per Tice they were very very clever with disguising how they were dropping 8 each time and different DBs were changing roles as robbers and where shading coverage from play to play. Takes a TON of communication and trust. It was a PSA for a fucking masterful job from coaches and players frankly. 

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

Hoosier is right, it was an excellent listen. Quick preview - it was not as simple as "they put 8 in coverage" - per Tice they were very very clever with disguising how they were dropping 8 each time and different DBs were changing roles as robbers and where shading coverage from play to play. Takes a TON of communication and trust. It was a PSA for a fucking masterful job from coaches and players frankly. 

Brings to mind the piece the Enquirer did the other day on the DB room and all the extra film study they've been doing this season (link below for any who missed it). What Tice is talking about is all that prep work paying off.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/01/27/bengals-breakfast-club-matchup-vs-chiefs-scouting-report-odds-spread/9235955002/

17 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hard work paying off ??  In 2022 ??  Say it ain't so.
Pay attention kids, that's a life long lesson for you right there.

Hard work, but also, a great plan. Hats off to LouA. I was WAY wrong about him.

I was just able to listen to the relevant portion of the podcast mem linked. It's a fascinating listen, and it has me thinking a lot about some of the immediate national narrative we're seeing emerge.

The Chiefs collapsed. Patrick Mahomes choked.

I can understand the perspective at face value, because there were moments where the camera panned to Mahome's face and he literally looked like he was playing tight. Align that with the offensive production and the easy answer is "he crumbled down the stretch". This defensive plan in the second half though provides a different (and probably more realistic) interpretation of what was going on with Mahomes.

He wasn't making I'm so nervous I just pooped my pants faces. He was making What in the actual fuck am I seeing in that defensive backfield right now? faces.

Anarumo and company confused the hell out of him, and they did so with what sounds like an extremely complex coverage plan that would require perfect communication and execution to be effective. So Lou gets immense props for coming up with the method, and the players get immense props for putting it on the field and making it happen in Arrowhead Stadium to win the AFC Championship Game. I mean holy shit man.

• Like 1

If I had to point out where the Chiefs screwed up, the obvious place would be Andy Reid's call to go for the TD with 5 seconds left at the end of the first half. I couldn't believe it when they did it and I still don't understand it. Reid made some mouth noises about thinking they'd have time to kick the FG if they didn't get the TD, and I can just barely see that...if you call a quick pass into the end zone that goes incomplete. But a relatively slow-developing near-lateral to a player on the 5 who will 100% be covered if not doubled?

I've always said, don't chase points until you have to. Kick the easy 3 there and it's a totally different game. Not I'm not taking anything away from the Bengals D for a great stop, I'm saying that they play should have never been run. Completely unforced error by Reid that quite likely cost the Chiefs the game.

I think that was a "decision is theoretically fine, but the playcall was bad and the quarterback made a worse decision" situation. I will rarely criticize a team for going for a touchdown from the 2 yard line.

Perhaps the Bengals were in their heads anyway after killing three 14-point deficits to start the month.

12 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I think that was a "decision is theoretically fine, but the playcall was bad and the quarterback made a worse decision" situation. I will rarely criticize a team for going for a touchdown from the 2 yard line.

Perhaps the Bengals were in their heads anyway after killing three 14-point deficits to start the month.

YES. That. Also, we saw two weeks in a row, Titans shitty end of game drive and how KC handled it yesterday when it was so awkward and, guess what, that happened because two REALLY good teams wanted very very badly to score AND leave Burrow with as little time as possible. It messed them up, the Titans and Chiefs, trying that. That is a totally new thing to watch. 

• Like 1

Yeah it was funny to see the Chiefs down by 3 with better than 6 minutes in the clock thinking about scoring but not leaving time for Burrow. Everyone was talking about it. That’s a completely different type of pressure that his talent brings to an opponent and I fucking love watching it take place. 

That’s a special kind of delicious awkwardness !!

For those familiar with the “Missing Rings” episode by nfl network for the 1988 team….

Just saw the tweets from Tim Krumrie quoting Sam Wyche “Finish Everything” following the game. 

Tear jerker right there.   For those not familiar with the episode towards the end it features a passionate Krumrie and their team theme “Finish Everything” and he owns not finishing it and admits it still burns him.   Even says something to the effect of break his leg just for another chance at a Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, membengal said:

Hard work, but also, a great plan. Hats off to LouA. I was WAY wrong about him.

I was wrong about Lou.  But he needed his quarters defense type of players and some young legs before he could show resuIts.  I was wrong about Taylor’s inexperience and his play-calling, though even Zac admitted he had to learn to take the points when they are there, aka kick field goals.  He also had to learn to respect field position and punt or FG when the situation demands it.  I admit I was wrong about Lou and Zac as leaders of the team.  They’ve achieved the near impossible and only in the 3rd year.  Just 1 more giant hurdle and they will be legends in Cincy forever.

I'm still not sold on Zac as a playcaller and game planner. I mean, all the pointless first down runs Sunday nearly gave me an aneurysm. He and Callahan are getting better but it's still kind of hit or miss, especially in first halves.

That said, he's amply proven he and his staff have an eye for talent, a clear idea of the type of team they want to build, and Taylor himself is by all accounts beloved by his players and has total locker room buy-in. And if he wins his next game, he will instantly become the greatest Bengals coach in history and the citizens of Cincinnati will probably overthrows the mayor and the council and install him as King for Life.

were the pointless first down runs an effort to shorten the game and protect the line and burrow some? Dunno. But it has crossed my mind that ZT can't do that what he wants to do on offense until line gets fixed and everything up to now is a compromise.

18 hours ago, Stripes said:

I was just able to listen to the relevant portion of the podcast mem linked. It's a fascinating listen, and it has me thinking a lot about some of the immediate national narrative we're seeing emerge.

The Chiefs collapsed. Patrick Mahomes choked.

I can understand the perspective at face value, because there were moments where the camera panned to Mahome's face and he literally looked like he was playing tight. Align that with the offensive production and the easy answer is "he crumbled down the stretch". This defensive plan in the second half though provides a different (and probably more realistic) interpretation of what was going on with Mahomes.

He wasn't making I'm so nervous I just pooped my pants faces. He was making What in the actual fuck am I seeing in that defensive backfield right now? faces.

Anarumo and company confused the hell out of him, and they did so with what sounds like an extremely complex coverage plan that would require perfect communication and execution to be effective. So Lou gets immense props for coming up with the method, and the players get immense props for putting it on the field and making it happen in Arrowhead Stadium to win the AFC Championship Game. I mean holy shit man.

Mahomes  was off in the 2nd half for sure.   I think it was the scheme thrown and him and the overall cockiness of the Chiefs. 

Of course National Media is going to run to the "legacy" conversation and "choke" angle because that's what those clowns do.