Wild Card Weekend: Raiders @ Bengals

HoosierCat

On 1/11/2022 at 3:47 PM, HoosierCat said:

Again, wouldn't argue the out-coached and out-prepped points. But as much as it pains me to say it because I like Andy, he was a dumpster fire in all these games. Collectively 55.7% completion rate, measly 5.5 yard average, 1 TD to 6 INTs and 4 fumbles...just a fiery mountain of postseason garbage. I don't know if Paul Brown himself could coach good enough to overcome that level of suckitude.

Our QB now seems slightly better.

That’s a great breakdown Stripes did.

I think it points to how injuries hurt those teams a lot right at playoff time.  If the roster were deeper, maybe those squads win a game or more.  I always found Zimmers D did worse in the playoff games vs the regular season.  Offense struggled too, a lot because of injury but also because Andy was a guy whose timing could be disrupted and balls batted or defenders read his eyes and knew he was coming out fast.  No fear of him running or buying time in the pocket to extend plays.  Again, 2015 was his moment and he got injured on a tackle.  They had something on O that year.  The other teams that should have won were the 2005 team with the knee shred and 2009 where if I recall, the jets embarrassed the bengals running game and rush defense.  Total let downs.  Players out played.  1 time against the colts, all the WRs were out and the year they faced the Chargers, the were riddled with injury.

Yeah, their injury luck was horrible. 2005 and 2015 you have QBs playing out of their minds go down. 2009 they started the year beat up and only got worse. By the time the Jets came around for round two, they were done.  2014 against Indy…remember Ryan Hewitt? Kevin Brock? Cobi Hamilton? Yeah all starters that game.

But 2011, against the TJ Yates-led Texans? Yeah, the oline was a bit beat up but come on. Or the next year, offense was a health three and out machine. Don’t recall them being particularly beat up against SD but everybody played horribly that day.

9 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

No, shut up YOU’RE crying !!

My dad died last year and the only thing that would have made it better would have been to share it with him. He’s the reason I’m a Bengals fan !! Glad I was there with my son !!

Being at the game was surreal for me, especially because my dad couldn't be there with me. All through the game I kept thinking about being 11 years old and watching the post season with my dad. 1990 was the year he started teaching me about football and I was hooked after watching some games with him. He had bought me a football that year for Christmas and taught me how to catch. You could say that I became a fan starting in the 1991 season and spent the next 31 years waiting for the team to do it again. I am going to drive up and see him this weekend. I bought him a football for Christmas.

I was fortunate 101, my dad had season tickets from the late 70's until about 1990 when I joined the Army.
Mom didn't like being in the cold, my older brother didn't like football and my sister was still a baby at that point.
I got to go to most games with my Dad and I was young when he taught me about it all.
I've seen many of the Bengals all time greats play, was at the freezer bowl at 10 and went to Super Bowl XVI with him.
Did I mention I was fortunate ??  His passing last year hit HARD and he would have loved watching that game.

He's the reason I share the game with my son the same way.  Him and I had a great football year to this point.
2 Ohio State games, the CFB Playoff game with UC and Alabama in Dallas and 5 Bengals games, including the playoff win.
My hope is he tells this as part of our story the same way I speak of my father !!

Best to your father !!

15 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I was fortunate 101, my dad had season tickets from the late 70's until about 1990 when I joined the Army.
Mom didn't like being in the cold, my older brother didn't like football and my sister was still a baby at that point.
I got to go to most games with my Dad and I was young when he taught me about it all.
I've seen many of the Bengals all time greats play, was at the freezer bowl at 10 and went to Super Bowl XVI with him.
Did I mention I was fortunate ??  His passing last year hit HARD and he would have loved watching that game.

He's the reason I share the game with my son the same way.  Him and I had a great football year to this point.
2 Ohio State games, the CFB Playoff game with UC and Alabama in Dallas and 5 Bengals games, including the playoff win.
My hope is he tells this as part of our story the same way I speak of my father !!

Best to your father !!

Thanks Army, I appreciate that! Hopefully my daughter ends up loving football as I am getting too old to have another kid. I'm 42 and she's only 6 months old! I am trying to convince the wife to have another and have a boy as well. If not, my daughter is gonna have to learn to love football, outdoors, boxing and wargames!

7 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Watched the replay…. 

1. Bengals left points on the field 

2. Officiating was bad both ways.

3. Raiders are the best at calling TOs.   Wiped out a pass deflection.  12 men on field penalty, roughing passer penalty and big pass play.    Best use of TOs ever. 

Especially number 2. Raider's fans keep bitching about the no call on Chase's push but they had a no call on a push too. They bitch about the TD, which is fair but it's not like the whistle blowing half a second before the catch made a difference. They don't seem to want to acknowledge the fake-ass roughing the passer call we had to eat either. 

Bengal fans have legitimate beef with the refs

Joe Burrow was absolutely hit late on one of the mysterious TO plays.   They claimed incidental contact.  BS.    There have been so many bad roughing the passer calls since they started focus its tough to say the one called on the Bengals was the worse but it was bad.   IF they would have lost that game, that call would be the number 1 thing we'd be talking about.  How the NFL can allow that kind of stuff without review is mind numbing.    

The whistle play had no bearing on the play it literally was right before the ball was caught.  The DB was beat.

28 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

It’s kind of my point I made during the season that I want players that want to win. Want to match Burrow’s desire and passion. Someone who gets pissed off when things don’t go right and wants to get back out there to get after it.

CJ is one of those guys…

Absolutely!   There are a lot of mouths to feed and talent to justify it but you don't hear a lot of complaints.    Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and CJ all have big play talent and could demand the ball but they don't.   They make plays when called upon.

I expect/hope Higgins to feast this week being from Tenn and the lack of targets last week.