Wild Card Weekend: Raiders @ Bengals

HoosierCat

Oh lord I’ve already played out just about every possibility since this week has been TEN YEARS LONG and it’s STILL NOT OVER.

The most epic scenario is upsets this weekend by the Pats and Steelers, then a Steelers upset of Tennessee. That would give Cincy three home games: Raiders, Pats and the championship game against the Steelers. But just about every odds calculator will tell you, there’s basically zero chance Pitt wins one, never mind two, postseason games. And I’m ok with that. To the end of time, in fact.

The boring scenario is the one I expect. Pitt and NE will both lose, so if the Bengals win they go to Tennessee. If they win there, and I actually feel more confident about that theoretical matchup than I do against the Raiders, then I expect the magic to finally run out in Arrowhead or Orchard Park.

Of course they still have to beat LV. Is it Saturday YET?

" winning their first playoff game since before the reunification of Germany"

Christ, there is no context in which this does not gall me but this is one of the worst "haven't won a playoff game since..." quotes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

This is where I am with it all.
If they can muster a win against KC, then can beat any team in the league.
Like I said before, as this team kept winning, the expectations changed along with that.
I expect wins and won't rule out a trip to the championship.  The team has shown it's capable.

I am keeping my optimism in check. If this team has shown anything, it's that they can also lose to anyone as well. Still, just below the surface I am feeling a trip to the AFCCG.

• Like 1

I'm about to get pretty cheesy with y'all, but you understand why.

Those of us attending the game all have a unique responsibility Saturday at PBS.

Given that we regularly post on Internet forum(s) dedicated to Bengals football, it's safe to assume that we're as dedicated to our fanhood as anyone. Not everyone has quite the same passion, obsession, or desire that we have. To the best of our ability, we need to command our sections and keep the more casual fans engaged. That might sound snooty, but these are the playoffs. We have to do what we have to do. Break through those barriers of social awkwardness, and be a leader of people in your immediate seating vicinity. Get them standing and making noise on defense, especially third downs. Congratulate them for their contribution when the Raiders false start. Make sure it's clear that every snap is critical, and that our continued engagement even and especially during periods of adversity makes a real difference that can help the team win and this playoff win drought end.

Maybe this is less necessary in the lower sections where the most engaged fans tend to congregate. But it applies as much to the canopy level and everywhere else. That overpowering drone of noise needs to deafen the Raiders and make them know without question that they will find no quarter in Cincinnati.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I'm about to get pretty cheesy with y'all, but you understand why.

Those of us attending the game all have a unique responsibility Saturday at PBS.

Given that we regularly post on Internet forum(s) dedicated to Bengals football, it's safe to assume that we're as dedicated to our fanhood as anyone. Not everyone has quite the same passion, obsession, or desire that we have. To the best of our ability, we need to command our sections and keep the more casual fans engaged. That might sound snooty, but these are the playoffs. We have to do what we have to do. Break through those barriers of social awkwardness, and be a leader of people in your immediate seating vicinity. Get them standing and making noise on defense, especially third downs. Congratulate them for their contribution when the Raiders false start. Make sure it's clear that every snap is critical, and that our continued engagement even and especially during periods of adversity makes a real difference that can help the team win and this playoff win drought end.

Maybe this is less necessary in the lower sections where the most engaged fans tend to congregate. But it applies as much to the canopy level and everywhere else. That overpowering drone of noise needs to deafen the Raiders and make them know without question that they will find no quarter in Cincinnati.

You take your duty seriously I see. Good stuff, I hope to see you at the game! I'll be the guy in the Bengals hat, should be easy to spot. If for some reason there might more than one person in a Bengals hat, you should be able to hear me over the rest of the crowd. If that fails, I'll be the one security is forcing to leave after I run drunkenly across the field yelling at the Raiders players. Normally I would say they don't deserve that, they're just professional guys playing a sport, etc. but it's the Raiders, they deserve it I promise. 

Some late additions to the Raiders injury report:

defensive tackles Quinton Jefferson (foot) and Kendal Vickers (back) were late additions to the report on Thursday. Both were limited in practice.

Doesn't sound particularly serious but they're already short on the dline.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/raiders-report-linebacker-not-ready-to-return-for-playoff-game-2512991/

4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Drive safe. Big winter storm blowing through parts of the Midwest this weekend. 

It is diving south of the Ohio and then by time it moves back up the coast I will be back home Sunday before it hits. Timed out as well as it could for the trip...

• Like 1

I just watched the "highlights" of the Steelers @ Bengals playoff game of 2016 for the first time since the game took place. I have absolutely refused to even look at that shit for the last six years. If I was surfing YouTube and caught a glimpse of it, I slammed that X button.

But this is a time of exorcising old demons. And wouldn't ya know it, I didn't even care. Burfict and Pacman and Hill are irrelevant and gone.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

I just watched the "highlights" of the Steelers @ Bengals playoff game of 2016 for the first time since the game took place. I have absolutely refused to even look at that shit for the last six years. If I was surfing YouTube and caught a glimpse of it, I slammed that X button.

But this is a time of exorcising old demons. And wouldn't ya know it, I didn't even care. Burfict and Pacman and Hill are irrelevant and gone.

I still cannot watch that. The pain is too deep. “It’s always a good day when a Pissburgh team loses” are words to live by. The opposite extreme is any day that the Bengals lose, trumped only by if the team they lose to is that team. Maybe someday I’ll watch it again, but I just cannot think about it. Not today … definitely not on why not us eve.