2022 NFL Draft

HoosierCat

Here's just me expanding a bit.  Let's say we do get an above average O-lineman in free agency.
How would you feel with a draft where the first 5 rounds were:

Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma
Kinnard, OT, Kentucky
Jones, CB, Houston
Cross, S, Maryland
Ross, WR, Clemson

Zion Johnson was gone in the first, so we shore up the middle of the d-line.
Follow that up with a versatile o-lineman with Kinnard in the 2nd.
I get my return guy in the 3rd who also would impact the CB group.
I really like Cross and I think will move up the boards the closer we get to the draft.  Bates is a FA of course.
Ross has had health issues, but is what you want in a big-bodied WR and has familiarity with Higgins.  Good depth.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I would curious to see who was still on the board in the 2nd when they took Woolen.

Unfortunately it's the second to last pick of the round so the only player taken after Woolen is Carson Strong.

Kinard is gone, tho, so there's that.

2022 Senior Bowl Stock Watch

Which players helped their stock throughout the week of practices at the Senior Bowl?

---Matt Miller

A week of turbulent weather turning into a beautiful day for football provided scouts, coaches and media analysts a unique platform to evaluate the top players in the 2022 Reese’s Senior Bowl.

As happens each year, some players moved up boards while others provided a spark that will lead to further evaluation to determine if their week of practices is matched up with traits that were seen on tape.

I’m often asked why an all-star game can move a player up a draft board; there are a few reasons:

The player was put into a better position (i.e. scheme or position) to showcase their abilities

The player is healthy after a season that included injuries

The player has improved through pre-draft training

The players listed below have improved through one of the above-mentioned reasons, and now they head into the next three months with a chance to ride this momentum and pin their stock higher on draft boards.

Quarterback Malik Willis, Liberty

Willis came into the Senior Bowl week with a reputation as a great traits player but someone who held the ball too long and struggled with accuracy. But in fairness to his evaluation, no one had ever seen Willis throwing to NFL-caliber receivers. His best target at Liberty was a 5’8” walk-on freshman, afterall. Watching Willis develop throughout the week is exactly what scouts (and myself) wanted to see. He was impressive Day 1 with his arm strength and velocity, but his accuracy was all over the place. On Day 2 we saw him home in his ball placement as his timing and chemistry with receivers improved. By Day 3 he was the clear-cut most impressive quarterback on either roster. No player did more to raise their stock in Mobile than Willis.

Offensive Tackle Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa

If you like physical offensive line play, Trevor Penning put himself on your radar this week. After every rep—and I mean every rep—he was a tenacious finisher. I once spent considerable time alongside a high-profile NFL offensive line coach and he told me they’d immediately knock a player if he didn’t have pancake blocks on his tape. Penning must have got that memo, because he was burying dudes on every snap. Some observers on Twitter were turned off by this, but I loved Penning’s aggressiveness. He also impressed with his mobility, length use and strength. At an event where every player is looking for a way to leave a lasting impression on scouts and coaches, Penning did exactly that with his toughness.

Safety Jalen Pitre, Baylor

The NFL is still obsessed with finding matchup players in the secondary and Baylor’s Jalen Pitre is exactly that. Following a career in Waco that saw him dominate playing a nickel safety position, Pitre displayed a top-level ability to play that same role against the best seniors in the nation. Pitre’s skillset allows him to matchup against tight ends, slot receivers and running backs in the passing game. He’s also a willing and able tackler when stepping down into the box. And while he won’t grade out as highly as 2020 draftee Antoine Winfield, Jr.; his game is very similar.

Defensive Tackle Devonte Wyatt, Georgia

Wyatt headed into the Senior Bowl as my top-ranked defensive tackle prospect following a very good senior year at Georgia. His week was cut short due to an ankle injury that I reported on Friday, but his play before that was stunning. Wyatt is a quick-moving 310 pounder who can line up in any gap and execute as a pass-rusher. With teammate Jordan Davis not participating in the Senior Bowl, Wyatt took advantage of his opportunity and secured his status as a first-rounder on my board.

Defensive End Boye Mafe, Minnesota

You couldn’t watch practices without noticing the first-step quickness of Boye Mafe. He’s an example of someone who I thought was put into a much better situation to showcase his athletic traits during the week of practices and capitalized on it. Going back to my notes on Mafe’s tape, I didn’t think he was quite as fast or explosive as we saw in Mobile. And this is why evaluating players in person is so important. Being able to add context to his athleticism answered one of my few questions on Mafe’s tape. He’ll move up my board because of it.

Wide Receiver Christian Watson, North Dakota State

I was a fan of Christian Watson before the Senior Bowl, but in person he wowed with his rare speed and size combination. At 6’4” he turned in a GPS time of almost 21 miles per hour in the open field. That’s ridiculous speed. One NFL scout texted with me during practice that Watson was the fastest skill player at the event—and that’s hard to dispute. His speed combines so well with his jump ball skills and ability to go over the top of defenders for the ball. In a class of mostly smaller receivers, Watson is moving toward Round 2 lock status.

Defensive End Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State

The first impression during Tuesday’s open practices was that Jermaine Johnson II isn’t messing around. The Florida State pass-rusher was winning every rep with his first-step quickness, speed-to-power combinations and ability to bend around the edge. In a group of very good edge-rushers, he was the first to pop during practices and make plays that landed him into my notes. Johnson entered the week a potential first-rounder and even after sitting out the final day of open practices, Johnson made himself money in Mobile.

Defensive Tackle Travis Jones, UConn

Outside of Devonte Wyatt, this wasn’t a very acclaimed defensive tackle class. Travis Jones may have changed that by operating as a human bulldozer throughout practices and the game. Jones, who is an ideal 1-technique or nose tackle prospect, was a crushing force along the defensive line in both individual drills and in team work. And unlike many nose tackle prospects, the 6’4”, 336-pounder was moving with excellent athleticism and agility. He was a fringe Round 3 player on my board headed into the week and easily moved up.

Running Back Dameon Pierce, Florida

This was an underwhelming group of running backs from a rankings perspective once Georgia’s James Cook dropped from the Senior Bowl, but that presented opportunities for the backs in attendance to impress. Florida’s Dameon Pierce did that with his tough running style, field vision and balance. More so in the game than in practices, Pierce showed he can be a lead back in an NFL backfield. The scheme fit will matter, but his toughness reminded me of Michael Carter last year—who parlayed a good week into a Round 4 selection and more importantly a starting running back job.

Offensive Guard Zion Johnson, Boston College

If you play offensive line and accept a Senior Bowl invite, you must embrace being asked to play out of position. Especially if you’re an interior offensive lineman. Boston College guard Zion Johnson was asked to play center this week and stepped in doing an admirable job as a snapper. He’s also a mauler as a run blocker and showed his pass-rushing chops well in space, too. Johnson was already on the fringe of a top 50 ranking on my board and did nothing throughout the week to change that perception.

• Like 1

Post-senior-bowl, what's seems to be coming most clear, at least to me, is that we have another deep crop of quality offensive linemen. If the Bengals are so inclined, there will almost certainly be one or more players worth the pick at the end of the first.

McShays post Senior Bowl OL rankings. Top 5 OT and Linderbaum are all in his top 32 overall atm.

Offensive tackle

1. Evan Neal, Alabama (94)
2. Ikem Ekwonu, NC State (93)
3. Charles Cross, Mississippi State (90)
4. Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa (89)
5. Bernhard Raimann, Central Michigan (88)
6. Daniel Faalele, Minnesota (84)
7. Nicholas Petit-Frere, Ohio State (76)
8. Darian Kinnard, Kentucky (75)
9. Abraham Lucas, Washington State (72)
10. Matt Waletzko, North Dakota (65)

Guard

1. Zion Johnson, Boston College (88)
2. Kenyon Green, Texas A&M (87)
3. Cole Strange, Chattanooga (77)
4. Sean Rhyan, UCLA (71)
5. Justin Shaffer, Georgia (68)
6. Dylan Parham, Memphis (66)
7. Jamaree Salyer, Georgia (64)
8. Joshua Ezeudu, UNC (63)
9. Andrew Stueber, Michigan (61)
10. Chris Paul, Tulsa (60)

Center

1. Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa (92)
2. Dohnovan West, Arizona State (70)
3. Luke Fortner, Kentucky (55)
4. Grant Gibson, NC State (52)
5. Cameron Jurgens, Nebraska (50)
6. Alec Lindstrom, Boston College (47)
7. Nick Ford, Utah (46)
8. Michael Maietti, Missouri (43)
9. Doug Kramer, Illinois (41)
10. Brock Hoffman, Virginia Tech (40)

On 2/7/2022 at 9:10 AM, ArmyBengal said:

Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma
Kinnard, OT, Kentucky
Jones, CB, Houston
Cross, S, Maryland
Ross, WR, Clemson

It hit a little different today with some player movement.  
Each of these were highest rated on the board when the Bengals went on the clock, with the exception of Gray who was only a few down.

If we picked up another o-lineman in free agency, I would LOVE this draft through the first 5 rounds.

Johnson, OG, Boston College
McBride, TE, Colorado
Jones, CB, Houston
Cross, S, Maryland
Gray, WR, SMU

Joe Marino's latest mock at TDN ...

Cardinals (PICK 23 OVERALL)

Zion Johnson
IOL, Boston College
Kyler Murray has proven his potency in the passing game and as a playmaker in general, but the Arizona Cardinals have to find a running game and become a more two-dimensional offense to become a consistent winner.

Zion Johnson can immediately stabilize one guard spot. He is as technically refined as they come and profiles as an immediate impact starter. He will make the run game better and improve the protection for Murray.

In addition to the Senior Bowl, we also had the Shrine Bowl going on. A note from the standouts at that event:

Cordell Volson

OT , North Dakota State

The best offensive lineman throughout the week of Shrine practices was North Dakota State’s Cordell Volson. Volson is a versatile and experienced offensive lineman who was outstanding in Las Vegas. He has played right tackle, left tackle, and now showed the ability to kick inside and excel at guard. 

He was extremely physical throughout the week, mauling defenders in the run game and getting after it in pass protection with a violent punch, vice-grip hands, and a stout anchor. His versatility and physicality will make him a highly coveted player in the middle rounds of the 2022 NFL Draft.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/shrine-bowl-highlights-roster-nfl-draft-2022

I don't know if that question can truly be answered.  I'm seriously clueless about which produces more NFL products.

I'm simply guessing right now, but would suspect those in the Shrine game aren't seniors or would be playing in the Senior Bowl.
Well, unless they weren't invited and maybe that does answer a little of your question TJ.

Clear as mud right ??
Just let me know when I can't be helpful again in the future.
I'm there for you !!

List of combine invitees released:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-scouting-combine-invited-prospects-by-position

Here's the OL invited (some of the ones we have talked about in bold):

Blaise Andries, Minnesota

Ben Brown, Mississippi

Logan Bruss, Wisconsin

Spencer Burford, UTSA

Ja'Tyre Carter, Southern

Charles Cross, Mississippi State

Myron Cunningham, Arkansas

Dawson Deaton, Texas Tech

Austin Deculus, LSU

Kellen Diesch, Arizona State

Bill Dunkle, San Diego State

Ickey Ekwonu, N.C. State

Obinna Eze, TCU

Joshua Ezeudu, North Carolina

Daniel Faalele, Minnesota

Luke Fortner, Kentucky

Luke Goedeke, Central Michigan

Kenyon Green, Texas A&M

Marquis Hayes, Oklahoma

Chasen Hines, LSU

Ed Ingram, LSU

Zion Johnson, Boston College

Braxton Jones, Southern Utah

Cam Jurgens, Nebraska

Darian Kinnard, Kentucky

Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa

Alec Lindstrom, Boston College

Vederian Lowe, Illinois

Abraham Lucas, Washington State

Cade Mays, Tennessee

Marcus McKethan, North Carolina

Max Mitchell, Louisiana

Thayer Munford Jr., Ohio State

Evan Neal, Alabama

Dylan Parham, Memphis

Chris Paul, Tulsa

Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa

Nick Petit-Frere, Ohio State

Bernhard Raimann, Central Michigan

Sean Rhyan, UCLA

Tyrese Robinson, Oklahoma

Dare Rosenthal, Kentucky

Andrew Rupcich, Culver-Stockton

Jamaree Salyer, Georgia

Justin Shaffer, Georgia

Lecitus Smith, Virginia Tech

Tyler Smith, Tulsa

Cole Strange, Tennessee-Chattanooga

Andrew Stueber, Michigan

Luke Tenuta, Virginia Tech

Zach Thomas, San Diego State

Zach Tom, Wake Forest

Cordell Volson, North Dakota State

Matt Waletzko, North Dakota

Rasheed Walker, Penn State

Luke Wattenberg, Washington

Dohnovan West, Arizona State

Nick Zakelj, Fordham

I've also seen many of those names thought to be good fits for the Bengals and slotted to them in mocks.

Fortner, Kentucky
Green, T A&M
Parham, Memphis
Rhyan, UCLA
Salyer, Georgia

I have also made mention of Ingram, OG, LSU and Walker, OT, Penn State

I'm the guy who actually watches the Combine and will be tuned into this group for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

which allstar bowl generally has the best talent pool, between these two games.....Senior or Shrine?

the Senior bowl. By a million miles. They had 6 of the top 7 QBs, for instance. It's not even close. Shrine just started back up.