Bengals Statement on BLM Protests

HoosierCat

• 4 weeks later...

QuoteThe Washington Football Team has named Jason Wright as its team president. The surprise announcement was made Monday morning on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

Wright, 38, becomes the first Black president of an NFL team. A former running back, Wright had a brief NFL career after playing college football for Northwestern.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/17/jason-wright-hired-president-washington-football-team/

Woah. Bucs boycotting game 5 to protest the police shooting of Jacob Black in Wisconsin.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29746660/raptors-celtics-players-jointly-discussing-boycott-other-measures-following-jacob-blake-shooting

update: per cnn all of tonight’s games are now postponed.

update 2: reds game may be next.

13 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Oh know please don't punish us professional athletes!  We'll denounce racism!  Just don't take away your playoffs,  please.    LOL.

Classy.

Is it enough to denounce the continued summary execution of black persons by the police?

Go fuck yourself. 

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and what if any impact it will have. Kaepernick kneeling was just four years ago and this feels much different. This at 538 caught me eye:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-a-strike-for-racial-justice-started-with-the-milwaukee-bucks-and-the-nba/

There’s a chart in that breaking down the politics of fans by sport. I’m very surprised where football falls, I thought it would look more like hockey or NASCAR. I wouldn’t put NFL teams walking out this season totally out of the realm of possibility. some are already cancelling practices today.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Classy.

Is it enough to denounce the continued summary execution of black persons by the police?

Go fuck yourself. 

stats and facts clearly say black people are being executed in their own streets by their own people at an increased rate since these demonstrations have occurred.  

Believe what you will.    However, you pull the "go fuck yourself" trigger on much simpler topics so I doubt anything that I type in reply is going to change your mind.   So by all means believe what you want to believe.

Keep on being an open racist, if that's who you are. 

If you are such a mewling queef that you cannot grasp why summary executions by the police based on skin color is a problem, you are a brain dead mental incompetent of the first order. Logoff and go the fuck away you piece of shit. If you cannot further grasp why those same police encouraging and enabling the murder of people by radicalized white supremacists is an additional problem I will go ahead and assume you are one of those too. 

30 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and what if any impact it will have. Kaepernick kneeling was just four years ago and this feels much different. This at 538 caught me eye:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-a-strike-for-racial-justice-started-with-the-milwaukee-bucks-and-the-nba/

There’s a chart in that breaking down the politics of fans by sport. I’m very surprised where football falls, I thought it would look more like hockey or NASCAR. I wouldn’t put NFL teams walking out this season totally out of the realm of possibility. some are already cancelling practices today.

I believe it will filter over to the NFL.   To what degree will remain to be seen.    I wouldn't put it past the realm of possibility either. 

However, financial reality is harder for the NFL player.    There hasn't been a work stoppage costing games since 1987.   

The NFLPA didn't strike when the owners took back some of the % after the 2006 temporary agreement expired.  They didn't strike in 2011 and took less rev % than the 2006 temporary agreement.    They just agreed with the loss of preseason revenue.

It will be interesting.   The NFLPA seems to be interested in growing and sustaining the revenue pie.    The NBA players not so much. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

Keep on being an open racist, if that's who you are. 

If you are such a mewling queef that you cannot grasp why summary executions by the police based on skin color is a problem, you are a brain dead mental incompetent of the first order. Logoff and go the fuck away you piece of shit. If you cannot further grasp why those same police encouraging and enabling the murder of people by radicalized white supremacists is an additional problem I will go ahead and assume you are one of those too. And if that's the case, kindly kill yourself. 

lol.   Move on with your life.   Nothing I type in reply is going to solve your issues.

OH FOR FUCKSSAKE.

The murders are coming from the Boogaloo set. Jesus Christ. Give me a fucking break. Carry on with white blindness and enabling bullshit to right wing terrorism. What the fuck ever. 

You all win. Bye. 

Well, that black people get worse treatment from police than whites is pretty uncontroversial. How many white parents have to have “the talk” with their kids? Racism runs deep in this country and basically has since the beginning. And if I had a solution for it I would be a hell of a lot richer and more famous than I am now. But I have no problem with athletes who believe they have a duty to use their good fortune to call attention to injustice and agitate for change. That impulse also runs deep in this country and has since the beginning. And I have to believe that particular impulse will triumph In the end. 

• Thanks 1

Since mem is taking a break, let me just say this. White privilege is a hell of a drug. It took me a long time to get it, I think because of the word “privilege.” I’ve struggled over the years to find a better word but never quite found one. The problem with privilege is that everyone immediately thinks “rich person” and responds, hey, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I had to work for a living, etc. which isn’t what it’s about at all.

It’s about not seeing stuff that’s invisible to you, because it doesn’t happen to you. Like, I don’t have to be worried about being pulled over for “driving while black.” And if I do get pulled over I don’t have to worry that I might die because I’m a 6-2 white guy, not a 6-2 black guy.

I may have told this story before so forgive me if you have heard it. Real, actual example of white privilege in action, executed by me and which I remain ashamed of: about 20 years ago, I was named editor in chief of a small b2b magazine. This sounds great right? Except it was part of an overall shakeup that left me the only editorial staffer on the book. So my first order of business was to hire somebody — anybody! — ASAP. With two people and a freelance budget I could make it work.

This magazine was owned by a large company at the time, so I went to HR to have them put out an ad for an editor. I was in luck! They had just hired for a similar position and still had a stack of resumes from that ad. I grabbed said stack, took it back to my office and thought to myself, I’m just hiring the first person on the pile, because I was desperate and didn’t want to waste time.

And when I looked at the first resume, they had all the qualifications for the job. Then I looked at the name, and they were obviously a black woman. I don’t recall the name but it was Tanisha or Shaquita or something like that. Obviously black.

I looked at the second resume. I won’t give that name, because I do remember it, but it was obviously a white woman. And guess who got the job.

I had all sorts of justifications in my head back then about why I did this. They were all BS. I was just way more comfortable hiring a white woman, skipped over the perfectly qualified black woman, and no one in my company challenged me (come to think of it they were pretty much all white too). But it dragged behind me for years like the chains on Marley’s ghost And eventually I admitted it. I did it because I was racist. And I have to live with that. But I do what I can not to do that kind of shit any more.

Anyhow, FWIW.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, that black people get worse treatment from police than whites is pretty uncontroversial. How many white parents have to have “the talk” with their kids? Racism runs deep in this country and basically has since the beginning. And if I had a solution for it I would be a hell of a lot richer and more famous than I am now. But I have no problem with athletes who believe they have a duty to use their good fortune to call attention to injustice and agitate for change. That impulse also runs deep in this country and has since the beginning. And I have to believe that particular impulse will triumph In the end. 

Eh, their egos are so inflated by social media and living in bubble surrounded by fake media it's my opinion that they think they are punishing America.   Same with kneeling.    That's alot of Roger Goodell's fault but the players benefited by monetizing patriotic actions post 9/11.  

The players never came out of the lockeroom for the national anthem until they partnered with the Arm Forces.   Not arguing good or bad.   Just facts the NFL owners and players made money and the players found a way to make a statement.   An easy solution would be to give back the money and stay in the lockeroom.   Can't have that.

For me it was always curious how America became so racist in 2016/17 with Trump serving less than a year.   He would have be the most effective politician in the history of the world.  

Right or wrong for that reason I'm always going to view these things as a sham.   IMO,  they just trying to get people so emotional to get them to vote a certain way.

Unfortunately there are some troubling crime stats emerging that can't be denied.  They can be ignored.   I think it's unfortunate for the people living in these communities.  IMO, demonizing police is not a solution to anything saving black lives.

I also think it's a shame so many kids are victimized because COVID is political tool.   How is it the decision on whether to play fall sports seems to have fallen in line with the political party that governs the state.  Guess what these decisions are going to negatively effect one community more than the other. 

But people are free to believe whatever they want.

I'll be frank:

I understand mem's frustration. I am not going to blow up on anyone here, because it isn't going to help anything. But he represents a mindset that has become so exasperated by right-leaning political philosophy that patience is a much more difficult perspective to adopt than it once was. It's quite simple: there is massive, incontrovertible evidence in front of the faces of white America that something is very, very wrong...

And they continue to bury their heads in the sand. Athletes may or may not overestimate their ability to affect change, but I absolutely support them for trying. Reducing this to a matter of personal arrogance is not just disrespectful to the cause they represent -- it is an extremely arrogant view itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1