Fifth Round Pick: Khalid Kareem, Edge, Notre Dame

HoosierCat

They absolutely skipped it. 

First player that I have not looked at or ever mock drafted. Don't like it at first glance. Would have gone OL. They clearly are happy with their room, happier than I am.

The theme of extreme high character guys continued with that pick:

Morrison

Kareem also a Notre Dame captain last year, continuing that theme.
#Bengals

Kareem had a Senior Bowl invite but could not participate due to a shoulder injury.
#Bengals

1 minute ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Don’t like this pick, a DE with no explosion off the line 

not something that you want in the NFL

Sounds like Frostee Rucker, who found a way to hang around for a decade. Who knows.

At this point in the draft I'm not complaining about whatever. These are shots in the dark.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Don’t like this pick, a DE with no explosion off the line 

not something that you want in the NFL

He apparently sets the edge well - and, well, that's something that is a blind spot for me when I evaluate players. But also really important in a division where you are defending the Ravens, Browns, and Steelers. 

4 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

best case, he is a run stopper

and Ive already mentioned he is a high character team captain type

and I'll take that

but

OL

cmon maaaaaaaaaan

Take that to the other thread and tell me who upgraded what they have once Isaiah Wilson went at 29. Extra credit - explain how that upgrade happens in a summer with no OTAs and no mini-camps and perhaps an abbreviated training camp...

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe there was a pick thread I didn't comment on, if even briefly.  Allow me to rectify this situation...

At first glance, I recall seeing the pick and not being a fan of it, but it also wasn't really surprising when thinking it's the 5th round.
I didn't really take a good look at this selection until this weekend for whatever the hell reason that is.

That being said, the 5th round should certainly be Best Player Available and you could argue that this was definitely that.
Never hurts to have additional depth at the position and he could make an impact when considering how poorly the defense was last season.
When looking at the rest of the 5th round, there really isn't another player that jumps out as a "must have player".  Justin Strnad was still there, but had injury concerns as well.

Retrospect always being 20/20, had they selected Josh Jones in the 2nd, they could have gone after a WR at this point.
Again, not one I would have been all over at that point however and specifically, no O-linemen jump out.

• Like 1