Will There Be a 2020 NFL Season?

HoosierCat

Mike should definitely stay social distanced, he’s pretty vulnerable to stuff at his age.  

Also, I’m looking for a medical professional in the Cincinnati area who will confirm and amplify my long-held belief that the only true way for a very elderly person to revitalize their immune system is to divest themselves of any professional sports franchise they may own.

• Like 1

Re Hart, setting aside any politics, how do you let a guy who has questioned the value of masks, social distancing and vaccines anywhere near the locker room? He may as well be wearing a t-shirt saying “I’M A VECTOR FOR DISEASE”.

• Like 1

Well, if you want a counterpoint:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/second-coronavirus-death-surge/614122/

tl;dr deaths are a lagging indicator and they’re already on the upswing.

That said I don’t expect NFL players to be dying if the season goes on, though that could happen and if even one player dies I think you would see games come to a screeching halt. Maybe even if it’s just one coach or staffer. 

I don't know.    Basically for Florida or Texas to equal New York's death rate they would need a drastic up tick in either Death percentage OR confirmed cases.

The out kick article put that's at nearly 3 million cases which is a significant variance that just can't be explained away by point to lagging death especially when uptick in cases started almost a month ago. 

The article from the Atlantic sets up a straw man argument and does a good job of beating that argument.   

Many people who don’t want COVID-19 to be the terrible crisis that it is have clung to the idea that more cases won’t mean more deaths.

I think that's a cheap generalization.    Actually moves the goal post.   As the whole shut down was about avoiding a collapse of our health care system and the death that could because of that.

Lap was on the radio saying preseason revenues are apart of the salary cap formula.   

The NFL offer of no preseason games could be to call the players bluff.  Similar to what MLB owners did after players said name a time and place.   

The sticking point between players and ownership is going to be a shrinking cap and how to deal with that.