Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Well, here goes the odds of Devin White getting drafted even if he was there at #11. This will just scare the Bengals too much.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/devin-white-ill-be-looking-for-100-million-in-five-years/

Yea, I kind of wish he hadn’t said all that.  He’s gone before we pick anyway.  

12 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I'm a little leery of Bush despite the fact the guy is an amazing athlete - but would be more than happy if they prevail with sound minds and draft any of those guys.  The release of Burfict so early almost seems to telegraph the fact they're going LB with #11.  I don't know how you pass-up White if he's there though.

Re-signing Dennard is also smart.

White vs the Tackles is a tough call if it should come down that way.

If White goes off the board then I would hope Dillard and Williams would be above Bush.

That pool of 4 players gives them a good prospect at biggest needs. 

Right now based on roster numbers.   They are down a LB.  2 OTs  a TE.  

There’s a very good player a each position in this draft.    TE doesn’t project a big need.  

11 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

White vs the Tackles is a tough call if it should come down that way.

If White goes off the board then I would hope Dillard and Williams would be above Bush.

That pool of 4 players gives them a good prospect at biggest needs. 

Right now based on roster numbers.   They are down a LB.  2 OTs  a TE.  

There’s a very good player a each position in this draft.    TE doesn’t project a big need.  

Yeah agree.  White would be my pick followed by the OT's.   A TE or a QB, based on what they did in FA at this point, would not make much sense.

The Jets want to unload Darron Lee.  Mike will approve because he went to Ohio Sate.  Also, he can actually play, not a top 5 guy at his position or anything, but a starter and solid.  

They could admit White will be gone before the 11th pick, go get Lee now, hand over some picks we’ll probably waste anyway, then we can go after the tackle with our round 1 pick.

With Gronk retiring, I went back to look at some of the posts from the 2010 draft when we took Gresham.

My takeaway from all of that is how much I really use to get into the draft and how much time I would spend here getting into the details.

Then there was the draft itself with the all day, every day coverage. Pre-pick threads, actual pick threads, etc... Those were really good times here with you clowns !!!

Well, some of you old clowns...

• Like 1

I still love the draft.  

Several years ago the league moved the draft to late April/early May.  That move really took some enthusiasm out of the whole thing.

After the combine, it should be a few weeks of evaluation and then have the draft.  It is dragged out so long now that more people lose interest.  The weather warms up, baseball starts, etc.

Looking forward to the draft but not the season this year.  If you don’t take an LB at 11, you gotta get a OT.  Bengals probably happier paying OT money at the 11 spot...

This could be the year of a blockbuster picks / player trade leading up to or on draft day for the Bengals. 

They’ve got low end roster talent and bodies already but they lack game changers at LB and OT.

Use the high number of picks and decent talent on the roster to make big splash by landing AJ Green-esque playmakers.  Beat the odds and get 2 in one draft.  

• Like 1

I honestly see the first round shaking out for the Bengals to take the highest rated o-linemen.
I expect Devin White and Josh Allen to both be gone and that leaves Devin Bush.
I don't know what it is about him, but I don't like his game. 

Mack Wilson out of Alabama is another line backer I like to watch play.
He's a guy we could hope to get in the 2nd round should we go OT in the first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GapControl said:

This could be the year of a blockbuster picks / player trade leading up to or on draft day for the Bengals.

and then again it could be the same as most years where the wheeling 'n' dealing does not involve Cincinnati

21 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I don't know what it is about him, but I don't like his game. 

Agreed that Devin Bush has questions.  He was inconsistent, and he seemed almost too emotional, in a Pac-Man way.  Remember the cleats tearing up Sparty’s logo before that game?  Made no sense, didn’t help the team, just a “look at me” distraction.  I’m not on board with drafting this dude with our first round pick.

Also agree that LBs are getting a big pre draft push, and likely shakeout is now an OT for us at 11.  

Finally, I’m so ready for smile to just step away from this whole operation.  We get it Mike, you’re an iconoclast who does things his own way.  Enough already.

As for the thought of "There's always a player that falls", the Bengals catch a break and at #11 take:
Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida

Without doing a whole new mock draft, this is what I would love to see:

1. Jawaan, Taylor, OT, Florida
2. Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama
3. Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College

Take your pick after that, but TE needs to be addressed at some point even though I think there is a drop off in talent.

With Dunlap, Lawson, Hubbard, Willis and now Wynn as DE

and Atkins, Billings, Glasgow and Brown as DT

I just don't see a need for a DL early.  

I'd love to see a move up a couple spots to get White or the OT they really want.  I'm tired of taking the best that falls, go get our guy in the first with a package of picks. As long as we still have a second rounder for the other LB or OT that they have to have.

They have to double up on LB and OT picks this draft.  This works well, since we don't really need a CB, S, DL.  Need 2 LB and OT.  Need 1 TE.  Can use depth/development at QB, RB, WR.

5 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

With Dunlap, Lawson, Hubbard, Willis and now Wynn as DE and Atkins, Billings, Glasgow and Brown as DT

I just don't see a need for a DL early.  

I can't say as I've seen anyone project a d-lineman to us in the first and it would probably not be in my top 2, but almost anything after that could be justified.
Pairing the existing guys with a guy like Ed Oliver, DT, Houston sure wouldn't piss me off much if all the LB and OT guys are gone.
It would just depend on how it all fell.

1 minute ago, ArmyBengal said:

I can't say as I've seen anyone project a d-lineman to us in the first and it would probably not be in my top 2, but almost anything after that could be justified.
Pairing the existing guys with a guy like Ed Oliver, DT, Houston sure wouldn't piss me off much if all the LB and OT guys are gone.
It would just depend on how it all fell.

I've seen a couple mocks that have us taking a DL or QB first.  Seems like a waste to me, much better impact with a LB or OT this year.

I don’t know what’s up with these mocks showing us taking QB in the first round.  It just seems so unlikely that to push it out there in a mock just sort of delegitimizes the mock.  Maybe just to those of us who follow the team closely.  

On 3/25/2019 at 1:19 PM, COB said:

I still love the draft.  

Several years ago the league moved the draft to late April/early May.  That move really took some enthusiasm out of the whole thing.

After the combine, it should be a few weeks of evaluation and then have the draft.  It is dragged out so long now that more people lose interest.  The weather warms up, baseball starts, etc.

The NFL, frankly, is getting worse and worse the more commercialized and greedy they get.  The new PI rule will drag games out longer and allow for more commercials as well, the one thing I agree with MB on when he spoke out against it. 

And yeah, the new draft format sucks, frankly, the stupid over-coverage of the top 3 picks the entire first night (stupid human interest B.S. usually) gets boring fast and I usually just keep the TV rolling with no audio like I do most sporting events these days, including the SB.  I can't even stand to watch 5 min's of ESPN unless there's a game on, and even then, it's no audio and I'll go insane with boredom from all of the commercials and sideline reporter nonsense if I don't have something else to occupy me during all of the breaks.

3 hours ago, COB said:

I don’t know what’s up with these mocks showing us taking QB in the first round.  It just seems so unlikely that to push it out there in a mock just sort of delegitimizes the mock.  Maybe just to those of us who follow the team closely.  

Like this one?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/postfree-agency-nfl-mock-draft-19-surprise-landing-spot-for-qb-dwayne-haskins-154119217.html

I'm telling you, do not put it past Mike Brown and Taylor to pick a QB at #11, it still would not surprise me at all.  I'd probably rather have a Jonah Williams, as it looks more and more like White will go before them,  but i'm pretty sure Taylor (who I have doubts will have success here) is going to want his own guy that's ideal for his system - Dalton, ultimately, is not for a variety of reasons.

I don’t think there’s any way in hell Dalton goes anywhere this year and starts every game minus injury.

That being said, I still bet the farm they go the route of building the team around a future QB not taken this year.

In looking at the depth and quality of the positions, I now am firmly in line with taking an OT at #11. I don’t think that class is as deep as some other positions.

20 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I don’t think there’s any way in hell Dalton goes anywhere this year and starts every game minus injury.

That being said, I still bet the farm they go the route of building the team around a future QB not taken this year.

In looking at the depth and quality of the positions, I now am firmly in line with taking an OT at #11. I don’t think that class is as deep as some other positions.

I don't know why they signed Hart to starting RT money so early in FA if they felt they very well may draft an OT at #11 this year. MB doesn't like to eat first round contract money, nor FA money of course, and you're not drafting a "project" at #11.

That Hart signing eludes me still, just a dumb move as I can't imagine anyone else would pay him that much money or that he was even in any kind of serious demand elsewhere.  Why not keep your options open or sign him to an incentive deal for a year? Are you really worried about losing one of the league's worst RT's? Really?

You just traded for Glenn, and while a future LT should be in order, or at least better depth than Boling, is it that urgent yet? 

Basically just explaining why I think they "could" go QB still.  Brown's endorsement of Dalton recently was hardly full of praise and confidence as well: 

Brown quote from Yahoo Sports:

"I think it's a good year for (Dalton) to show like he can, like we think he will. After he re-establishes himself we would want to get together with him and see if we can extend it.

"I think Andy is a good player and that he will rebound off last year. He was hurt. We lost so many other pieces. It fell apart, but if he's healthy and we stay healthy enough, I have confidence in him."

The team can cut Dalton next offseason and save his entire $17 million salary. The team could have also done that this offseason and saved $16 million, but it appears they’ll bring Dalton back for now.