Hue Hired To Do Unspecified Things

COB

1 hour ago, COB said:

Here's part of my problem with everyone's surrogate dad, Hue Jackson:  He spends two and a half years coaching the Browns.  He's, presumably, invested his blood, sweat, and tears.  He's all in.  Things don't go as planned, and he gets shown the door, though I'm certain he's still getting paid.  

At that point you are shell shocked and just need a little time to gather yourself.  Right?  RIGHT?

I guess not.  Honestly, if I were in that position and Marvin offered me a job a few days after getting fired, a job with a division rival, a job without a title that doesn't even appear to be a real job, I would honestly just say no.  It's not like he was the linebackers coach.  He was the head coach.  Take a little time, it will all look a bit more legitimate.  To just jump on the rival's ship with basically no break is not a good look.  I don't even understand it.  Just watch the tube and do some guest analyst stuff on ESPN, then come back next year.  It's just too mercenary, even for the NFL.  I can't think of a precedent for it.  

My problem is why you bring someone with that losing stench still on him here so quickly? Like you said - at least wait til the off-season.  No other winning team in the league would've hired him the way Marvin did, they wouldn't want any part of his stench, especially if they're winning and want to stay that way.  It doesn't matter how good he is at something,  he was a historical disaster in Cleveland and they've already gone 2-1 since he was fired.

Mayfield is a competitor - doesn't like to be around losing and shows it.  Here? Losing is welcomed with open arms as usual.  The idiot fans in this town will still buy tickets.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm going to simply continue rooting for losses.

Not because I want a top 5 pick in the draft.  Just because.
The more pain those losses bring to this organization the better.

Lol, they don’t give a shit.

I think Marvin Lewis has beaten the Steelers twice in a stadium named after his father. 

No way in hell they keep that coach if they had any pride.  Instead they let the Rooney family trump the Brown family in football royalty.  

They are going to continue to cash those revenue sharing checks and try to avoid  a repeat of the 90s.  Other than that they will never ever show the amount of passion, pain and pride that a lot of their fans do. 

Hard to tell anything about that offense with the line stinking it up. Does Lazor deserve a firing?  Not sure. 

But Hue as the OC wouldn’t shock at all.  

They probably gonna ride and die with Dalton and if that’s the case then Hue has the best track record with him. 

Does it get us a Super Bowl? Doubtful. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, you can see what being a "Player's Coach" has gotten the organization.
That term has directly resulted in the undisciplined nature of this team and zero playoff wins under Melvin.

I'm sure the players do love him.  No accountability, more latitude, and next to no hard nose approach.

You get what we've seen.  A coach who continues to hand clap and say "Lets go" a lot.
Quite the motivator right there.

I fucking hate this organization.  They are all an embarrassment.

Marvin will be here for a while is my guess.

He went to Mike Brown and recommended Hue Jackson to be the coach after him and they agreed.  The only reason that didn’t happen is because Hue wanted a contract guaranteeing it.  Hue went to the Browns for the sure fire pay day.

Hue’s fate was sealed when the Browns burnt the roster down to free up cap space and to acquire draft picks.   They then lengthened that process by trading down passing on impact talent and acquiring more draft picks.

Sure 3 wins.  Maybe Hue could have won 3, 5 more? But those Browns teams sucked bad talent wise.    He was done last year.  But the Browns threw a wrench in the works by keeping him or Marvin would not be “the coach”, Hue would. Just a guess. 

Overall point of this theory.   Brown family trust Marvin.  Tobin passes up GM opportunities. 

My thought is Brown family will not tear it down. 

Marvin help picks the coach.  Maybe Marvin coaches another year.  At some point he becomes front office person or advisor.  

Also Vance Joseph will be in play when he’s fired by Denver.  They loved him too.

Tobin and Him where QBs together at Colorado.  

Which also brings into play Eric Bieniemy former Joseph teammate and Bengal RB.

Alright, I’m all out of coaching theories.

Marvin probably coaches next year.  

My guess is the players want Marvin, but he ends up walking while being gently and quietly pushed.  

Just hard to see even the Brown family ignoring like about 99% of their customer base.  If there is a faction of the money-spending bengals fans who want Marvin retained, I’m not aware of it.

Whether they go with Hue or bring in new blood, I don’t know.  Whether Marvin stays in executive capacity or limps out to AZ, I don’t know.  

I'm not sure it's to that point yet COB, and think AMPHAR is probably right, and what I was thinking will happen as well. 

Remember Brown didn't go outside of the family org for a HC until he had to show something after asking the county to build him a new stadium, and had to fill seats, well before the current revenue-sharing program was in place.  The NFL had actually stepped-in at one point to advise and try to help him, it got so bad in the Akili Smith era.  They didn't do much, but I'm guessing they pressured him into at least looking outside of his family circle for a HC.   Dillon, Spikes, Pickens, Coslet and eventually Palmer - all got the hell out as soon as they could.

Now he's got a group of under-achieving but fairly competent loyal company men, in Dalton and Marvin, and a roster full of dreck that's just happy to have a job along with the clowns on the coaching staff.

All he has to do is keep it going - as long as Marvin can win at least 6 games a year, he's good, just enough to entice gullible fans they're competitive.

We have to use history as our guide - and that history tells us that you practically have to justify the expense of a new stadium via the taxpayers to get any major change out of him at all.  Nothing else other than some nudging from Marvin on spending and personnel has ever forced him to change.  

The Bengals' are a lost cause - fun to laugh at, another reason to watch football and enjoy the inevitable play of 3-4 guys on the roster at any given time who are actually good/great, but no one really takes them seriously, and probably never will.  Why should anyone? They're a joke.

There is a codependent culture in the Bengals organization. Walk lightly. Don't hurt feelings. Don't rock the boat. Don't call out the obvious. 

Hire "yes" men. Hire loyal people. Find players that will give you loyalty because you "saved" their careers. Everything is painted in a "good" or "bad" light. Can't fire Marvin because that would say he's a failure and we love Marvin. They are all about loyalty.

My guess is that when the Browns fired Paul Brown in the late 60's, Paul's pain from that cast a huge impression on his family, including Mike. Mike handles dad's rejection and depression in the same way you don't rock the boat with an alcoholic. It's too painful and you love that family member. Mike always needed his dad's approval but Paul was too occupied with work and dealing with his own inner demons of inadequacy and rejection that he didn't have time for Mike. Mike never got what he needed from his dad. And now his only connection to his dad is by acting like and through his father as his father would. 

Not even Mike can change things for fear of his father's ghost. 

So you enable. And you surround yourselves with enablers. And the beat goes on. 

Agreed.  It sure looks like an alcoholic dynamic at work.  Everyone on eggshells, everything’s ok!

Also - just the delusional grandiosity of it all.  Mike’s what, 83?  The idea that he can still run what is an ever changing, complex business, is sort of alcoholic grandiosity at it’s best.  And his results certainly speak for themselves.  

• Like 1

Just read that if Vance Joseph gets fired, he’s expected to be a serious candidate for our DC job next year.

1.  Who’s leaking these stories.

2.  If Mike is contemplating DC, HC must already be settled - Marvin or Hue.

3.  I’ve lead a pretty good, not great, life, so what heinous crimes did you guys commit that makes us deserve this?

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Of course they are interested in Joseph. I mean they might as well go ahead and complete the shitbag tri-fecta.

Melvin, Hue, and Joseph.

Its just like winning, only different.

Lap, who historically has the best line on what the Bengals are doing, has reported this exact thing.

Marvin stays, hires Hue as his OC and Vance Joseph as DC.

Get pumped!