2018 is now starting at the midpoint of the 2017 season

TJJackson

I've mentioned various things on my wishlist for this team already - departures of Oogie, Jeffro, and the man who has never had an Offensive lineman fail - but I want to emphasize everything I want at this point is all about 2018

2017 is a lost cause. It is (or should be considered to be) a lengthy 2018 preseason, 8 games to help get experience and seasonign for players who will be starters next year, not this year.

With that in mind, this fella aint gonna be helpin anyone soon but he did land the starting OLT job in Detroit and starting OLTs dont grow on trees

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21363481/detroit-lions-waive-left-tackle-greg-robinson

So let's sign this guy, put him on IR, and let him complete for the starting OLT spot in 2018.

Yes, he's been oft-injured, so yes, he's a risk. But at this point, we need to take some risks. A lot of them. Especially with a starting caliber player at a position of extreme need who has plenty of years left (drafted in 2014)

And yes, I was not and still am not a fan of the pick, but Ross needs to see the field, ready or not. Nothing develops a player like live game snaps.

I refuse to believe that there is a starting OLT out there who is worse than Oogie

I refuse, period

If this guy is even a slight improvement, and he more or less has to be as Oogie is rock bottom, damn the injury history and sign him

WJIII needs to be a starter, now, ready or not

So does Ross, again, ready or not. 

This season is over, so let's start training camp for 2018 early - ie now

Give Mr Katherine Webb 2 quarters a game to build up his resume as a (I am going to assume for the moment, tho I know this is being disputed) RFA going into this offseason.  Lets build up his value.

On 11/11/2017 at 4:33 PM, TJJackson said:

I refuse to believe that there is a starting OLT out there who is worse than Oogie

I refuse, period

If this guy is even a slight improvement, and he more or less has to be as Oogie is rock bottom, damn the injury history and sign him

WJIII needs to be a starter, now, ready or not

So does Ross, again, ready or not. 

This season is over, so let's start training camp for 2018 early - ie now

Give Mr Katherine Webb 2 quarters a game to build up his resume as a (I am going to assume for the moment, tho I know this is being disputed) RFA going into this offseason.  Lets build up his value.

Doesn't matter who's technically worse neither would not sniff the bottom levels of adequate without a miracle turn around. 

If either of these two are competing for starting LT job then your LT situation is among the league worse. 

Ced is probably targeted for position change.  Last stop swing tackle depth or guard. 

I don’t know what the Bengals do with Ogbuehi.  I guess he improved... like maybe 5 percent better ??? Idk.  He was once again a major reason the Bengals lost to the Titans today.  If he kicks inside to Lg or RG who the hell plays LT? Moobs?  And can Oogie play G better than Boling, Hopkins or Johnson? Doubtful doubtful.

8 hours ago, GapControl said:

I don’t know what the Bengals do with Ogbuehi.  I guess he improved... like maybe 5 percent better ??? Idk.  He was once again a major reason the Bengals lost to the Titans today.  If he kicks inside to Lg or RG who the hell plays LT? Moobs?  And can Oogie play G better than Boling, Hopkins or Johnson? Doubtful doubtful.

I haven't watched all-22 in a long time nor the games.    I hear of improvement via message boards.  Which is nice.  But the offense is in low gear and that is a clear sign the o-line isn't getting it done.  On highlights and stuff you just can't trust Ced to hold up the edge play after play.

I assume he just can't transition between speed and bull rushers and doesn't recover quick enough.   Can that improve?   I have no idea, but even on plays in which Ced wouldn't give up a hurry, sack, or hit you are asking your QB to guess whether or not the rusher gets free  this time.

Just a huge issue with the offense.  And they have the same problem over at RT.       It doesn't sound like he's or Fisher have improved enough to trust them next off-season to lock down those spots with even average play.    

There's been plenty of high draft pick LT flops that move to LG and play very well.   In theory bumping him to LG removes the speed off the edge.    I think he can get to the 2nd level.     Maybe then move Bodine to Center or RG.    Fisher if his health recovers into RG.

What a mess. 

Funny, on my way into work today there was a Bengals clip and they used a word to describe this team:
"Undisciplined"

Say it ain't so.  A Marvin Lewis team described as "undisciplined".
Shocking.

Marvin needs to go, along with other coaches obviously, but the "talent" on this roster needs to be reevaluated as well.

I'd like to see a kicker drafted again in r5 or 6. Yes, I know we already did that. But we didn't keep the player so we need to do it again.

Our long snapper is pretty long in the tooth as well, not suggesting we spend a draft pick on a long snapper but it should be a high priority signing among UDCFAs priority

Realistically speaking about next year; to have any faith in the Left Tackle position the starting point is this week.     I'm kinda surprised to see Denver so average in sacks but total yardage allowed they ranked very high.   Although I haven't really been paying as close attention this year.

I read on another board it was the line's best pass protecting week against the Titans.   Only something like 5 pressures on 36 pass attempts.    So it'd be nice to see it again this week against Denver and not let them get back on track with their sack numbers.    We'll see. 

Somehow I feel this week will be a 7 sack performance by Denver. 

I would like to see both lines be the way they go in the 2018 draft.  HEAVILY.

Best LT in the 1st, which shouldn't be hard in the top 5.
Top end Center in the 2nd should also be reasonable.
Somewhere in the 3rd and 4th all of OG, DT, LB, and safety should all be on the table and continue into the following rounds.
Yes, agree with drafting another kicker at some point as well.

The problem they have is that they need all of those picks to hit and fast for 2018 not to be another losing effort.
That has become a greater concern in regards to expectations in recent drafts.

See, as much as I'm bored with this team, the coaches, front office, and the NFL, I can still muster my thoughts on "what its" to make this team better.
All is not lost, but at the same time, "lost" isn't as far as it used to be either...

I am far less concerned with our DL with the emergence of Lawson and the sudden surge of Billings, plus I think Willis deserves a chance despite being rather quiet after an initially promising showing

Take a DL athletic project late if you must, or if the BPA is overwhelmingly a DL at any given point, but otherwise focus on all 5 OL sports early and often

I think we need to pick up a better than average 4-5year veteran OL at whatever the going rate is, as well. There's surely some team where they have a wealth of good backups but cant pay them starter money or given them the starting spot. We want one of those guys, rather than going all rookie

am I the only one worried about Andy selling both of his houses with nary a peep on why?

22 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I would like to see both lines be the way they go in the 2018 draft.  HEAVILY.

Best LT in the 1st, which shouldn't be hard in the top 5.
Top end Center in the 2nd should also be reasonable.
Somewhere in the 3rd and 4th all of OG, DT, LB, and safety should all be on the table and continue into the following rounds.
Yes, agree with drafting another kicker at some point as well.

The problem they have is that they need all of those picks to hit and fast for 2018 not to be another losing effort.
That has become a greater concern in regards to expectations in recent drafts.

See, as much as I'm bored with this team, the coaches, front office, and the NFL, I can still muster my thoughts on "what its" to make this team better.
All is not lost, but at the same time, "lost" isn't as far as it used to be either...

The draft?  We don't have 2 years to develop tackles.  They need 2 top level free agent tackles.  They need to sign them in the offseason to give Dalton, Mixon, Green, et al, a fair chance to succeed.

Preferably, they hire the new O line coach before the free agent signing period, and give him significant input on who they should sign.  No one else down on the river has any idea what the fuck they're looking at regarding linemen.  Adam Keift.

• Like 1

I can't even in wild fevered fantasy concieve of the Brown family signing one franchise veteran OT, much less two. They have always built via the draft.

2018 will be another rebuilding year. Who knows, the occasional rookie OT (paging Mr Munoz to the white courtesy phone) is pretty good - certainly we have the enough karma points built up after enduring Ooogie, Jeffro, etc the last 2 years that we deserve to get one of those.

Trivia question of the day: who is Kevin Minter, and have you seen him lately?

Bonus question: have they moved Burfict back to his outside spot where he is much, much, MUCH more effective?

• Like 1

Yeah that was a great waiver wire pick up.  Steinbach was a good draft pick.  As was Smith basically. Jones.  Zeitler.  Whit you know.  Williams a great Fa pickup. They just suck at getting Cs and they let games be lost in hopes of trial and for development.  Don’t see it with the guys we have now.

In addition to Bobbie Williams they did sign that guard from Carolina that was decent, but he got hurt early and that opened the door for Boling.     Boling has developed nicely for a 4th rounder. 

As said last offseason.    They have to commit more free agent dollars for their misses in the draft.    They've had 3 o-line draft picks that have been counted on to start and they all suck.   Neither has yet to show promise of even being a Boling level type player.  Sad.

I have no idea what the hell they do.    Kinda screwed themselves into a hole that isn't easily dug out of.  

I was more just being a pain in the ass than anything.  Of course they have brought people in, but those occurrences are few and far between.
I agree they don't do it enough and certainly need to.  I just have ZERO faith that they will since we all know their philosophy of the draft.

Basically they live and die by the draft, are currently on life support, and seemingly are prepared to simply roll over and die.
Wash, rinse, repeat unless we catch lightning in a bottle.
There's always next year !!!

God I'm bitter....