Broncos Pursuing McCarron Trade

HoosierCat

Of course. I wouldn't expect any other response. Doesn't mean it isn't true. If I had a nickel for every merger or acquisition rumor I chased down in 20-odd years of b2b reporting that was vociferously denied by both sides right up until the moment it was announced, I'd have a lot of nickels.

Personally, I'm quite sure there's interest in McCarron around the league. I'm also quite sure nothing will happen because the Bengals will be asking for the moon and several distant stars in return. The one wild card might be if he gets declared an unrestricted FA after this year, but I have no idea which way that call will go.

I know there's a ton of value in having a solid backup, but I can't say as I agree if in fact this is accurate. 

They carried Driskell for the remainder of last season in the active roster and had a chance to turn a 5th rounder into a 2nd round pick.

Not quite as confident in Driskell ??

Won't complain much though because I like McCarron.

Hell,  I might settle for best backup OT and let it go at that!

I never really grokked all the interest in McCarron. He was mostly awful after Andy got hurt in 2015, and I'm far from convinced he couldn't be easily replaced. But hey, what do I know, I'm just some guy on the internet.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Hell,  I might settle for best backup OT and let it go at that!

I never really grokked all the interest in McCarron. He was mostly awful after Andy got hurt in 2015, and I'm far from convinced he couldn't be easily replaced. But hey, what do I know, I'm just some guy on the internet.

He basically beat Pittsburgh in a playoff game.  Andy was so horrible in his first 3 or 4 playoff games that it was almost historical.  Other teams should watch that tape and give us a first rounder and yes, a tackle.  He's worth it.  

Or, they can take that first, draft a quarterback 12th or 15th or whatever, then watch the guy struggle and maybe outright bust in a few years.  McCarron has 4 years experience, can definitely learn an offense, knows how to read a defense, won't take 2 years to get used to the speed of the game, has a completely gangster tattoo for locker room cred, his wife is a total piece of ass, and to sum it up, he's a legitimate NFL player.  Will he be a star?  I don't know.  But I think at least some of the variables that would keep him from being a decent starter are known already.  He is in my opinion less of a risk than many first round QB picks.  We've spent years training him and educating him, that is very underrated in evaluating a player's worth.

• Thanks 1

At this time, you get a first rounder or you don't trade, IMO.   

1st:  people overrate "first round" draft picks.    Go back to recent draft classes and look at the success rate.       AJ has proven a level of ability.   It's only the amount of upside that's in question.   Pending on where that first rounder is among the 32, there could be less risk with AJ.

2nd:  Dalton's "mega" deal was really a team friendly deal at the time and has already started to morph into a bad deal (for him) given the level of his play.   AJ gone, Dalton's leverage is tremendous.

3rd:  Jordan fucking Palmer.   Carson had a cake walk as far as competition for his job and it led to him declining in play and then throwing the franchise under the bus demanding a trade or retirement.   The Bengals amazingly enough got the 2nd best QB out of the 2011 rookie class to help them out of that jam.   You just can't go all in on 1 guy anymore.  

4th:  Dalton sucked.   Then he got competition and now he's probably top 8 QB based on 2015, 2016 seasons.   Very good, IMO. 

So between Depth, Difficulty in finding talent at the spot, Contract $$$, Competition.   I have no problem with them holding out for a bigger pay day IF that's what their doing and if the day comes in which AJ walks for nothing, I'll evaluate then.