What to do for 2017 and beyond!

combatbengal

On 1/24/2017 at 1:00 AM, ArmyBengal said:

One of these days, they won't be able to trot that "not so" shining moment of glory out for the masses to hold up and cherish.
My son asked me the other day, "Who is Joe Montana?" when I was talking about going to Super Bowl 16.
Of course I responded, "Satan"....

You are a good father. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 2:38 AM, COB said:

I think Mike needs to read this.  He just waits around.  That is kind of my point on the quarterback they have.  It's not that they have Andy, or that they play him and depend on him.  

My issue is that they have completely settled on Andy.  There seems to be no attempt to find someone better, to upgrade if possible.  My fear is they'll fix the holes in their roster, then, with plenty of precedent, Andy will go out and have a horrible playoff game.  

While they had an active and competent Brett Favre, the Packers went out and drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005.  I looked it up to determine how they had the balls to do it with Favre sitting there, the ultimate lantern-jawed gunslinger.  Found this quote from General Manager Ted Thompson, "It wasn't necessarily that comfortable taking that position maybe as some other things we'd like to have done, but you make draft choices and draft-day decisions based on the long-term best interests of your organization. I think that's what we did today."

That move worked.  This is just my opinion, but I think Mike and Marvin are basically on the backstretch and neither of them want to work that hard.  It is very difficult to pick the right QB then develop him.  Teams fail at it a lot more than they succeed.  Mike knows it all too well.  The path of least resistance is to stick with Andy.  And Pacman.  And Peko.  You don't have to coach them up, don't have to teach them the offense, don't have to go through the inevitable growing pains.  You just show up for training camp, print some stupd-ass t-shirts, and plug and play the same old roster.  

You've completely forgotten about Driskell.  Shame on you.

On 1/25/2017 at 5:45 AM, HoosierCat said:

With the thoughts that you'd be thinkin', you could be another Lincoln, if you only had a brain...

Sure, why not, let's bring back the kicker who couldn't hit a game-winner that we signed because the other kicker couldn't hit one either. Makes perfect sense.

Yes, a Cincinnati Bengals coach just pointed out the importance of points in a football game. Specifically the games last weekend. What the actual fuk? So points are not important in other games or something? WHAT DOES THAT SENTENCE MEAN????

I'm not sure but I think Simmons was talking about the Pittsburgh kicker who missed early against the Pats.

We may never know though....because I could shit out a better journalist than Geoff Hobson.

18 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Today in "Howlers from Hobson":

Seriously???? I have yet to see a mock where Barnett and Thomas are both gone by 9. But then again I know this team and the defensive line and they always think they can find gems in the 4th 'cause it happened once with Geno and Dunlap...

Way too early for the draft panic.   Barnett probably falls off his Senior Bowl performance or it could be smoke screens but there is concern about his college production transferring to the NFL,  Again supposedly. 

I think they will take what they think will be best player.   Probably a DB, lol because those spots are impressing.

I'm still saying

RB (Fournette) WR (Williams) and I've been dead set against LB for a 4-3 but the feedback on Foster is selling me big time.

• Like 1

I don't know how to feel about a RB or CB at that spot mostly because I feel they can get impact later from those positions.
Foster is still my #1 want seeing as how Myles is thought to go #1 overall by most accounts.

Williams ??  I've mentioned him before and wouldn't complain about that either.
There's no O-lineman thought to be good enough to be considered in the top 10, so no to that as well.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Way too early for the draft panic.   Barnett probably falls off his Senior Bowl performance or it could be smoke screens but there is concern about his college production transferring to the NFL,  Again supposedly. 

I think they will take what they think will be best player.   Probably a DB, lol because those spots are impressing.

I'm still saying

RB (Fournette) WR (Williams) and I've been dead set against LB for a 4-3 but the feedback on Foster is selling me big time.

Yup, a corner to keep that bench warm! You can feel it coming.

I guess my annoyance is just part of a long-standing complaint about the team: no matter the issue, all they have to say is why the CAN'T do something. Other teams look for a way to keep key players; the Bengals sigh that they can't pay everyone, etc. And so far this year re the draft, we've heard how they can't take an RB because you can't take an RB at 9, and now they can't take a pass-rusher even though it's a huge hole, because value or something. Give them time, they will "can't" their way out of safety, LB, and linemen before April, freeing them up to take the CB or WR they've basically already settled on because the draft cards are all done. Lather, rinse, repeat.