Browns @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

I'm far less concerned about Greg and far more about the weather. Forecast is pretty soggy. 60% change of showers during the day, high of 51. 40% chance of more rain in the early evening, temps falling below 40, 12 mph winds. Sounds like a setup for a run-oriented, defensive game. Which has not been our strength this year.

How do the Browns measure up in run defense?

Tied with us. So it's a battle of weakness against weakness...

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just gonna say, the Bengals had better be ready for Cleveland's RBs. They've been playing 3 guys who have all been pretty effective. The one they play the least, Isaiah Crowell, was a guy I wanted to see in stripes later in the draft. He's a Marshawn Lynch-style beast who, given the opportunity, will eat the gooey middle of the Cincy D for lunch (or dinner, as this one is in prime time).

I hope Atkins, Thompson and Peko eat their wheaties or it could be a long night against those guys.

No offense Walrus, but the Browns run game has been garbage since Mack went down. Yeah, they have three competent rushers, but they have problems sustaining any momentum. Not sure Crowell was active the last two weeks. I know they deactivated West a few weeks back for disciplinary reasons.

Total team rush stats - CLE

Vs JAX - 28 rushes for 62 yards

VS OAK - 25 Rushes for 39 yards

VS TB - 26 Rushes for 51 yards

Crowell has like 20 of those yards in 8 carries.

I am not worried about the Browns offense. More concerned with their defense and forcing Dalton to make mistakes.

No offense taken. This is just the voice of one who has been traumatized watching the likes of Lee Suggs and Peyton Hillis run roughshod on the Bengals D in a Browns uniform. Also, just as many have pointed out - this is a division game so all bets are off. How did these guys play in the 3 division games so far against the Steelers and Ravens? 387 yards at 4.8 a pop and 5 TDs. IMHO, the Bengals sleep on them at their own peril.

Said the same thing. The Browns are not a team that you can afford to make mistakes against.

That crap against the Jags would be a loss against the Browns.

Get your game face on and handle your business. If not, the Browns are the new division leaders.

Letting that happen in a primetime game on your own field is unf*ckingacceptable !!!

Said the same thing. The Browns are not a team that you can afford to make mistakes against.

Get your game face on and handle your business. If not, the Browns are the new division leaders.

Letting that happen in a primetime game on your own field is unf*ckingacceptable !!!

This^^^^^

BTW, did you see Whit's pregame speech vs. the Ravens? Awesome.

In the last three weeks I have had the displeasure of watching the Browns vs the Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Raiders. All games that the Browns could have easily lost. One they did.

It is hard for me to fathom this same team coming out and beating the Bengals at home. But I also had the displeasure of watching the Bengals against the Colts and Patriots. But these are good teams and both games were away.

So I don't see the Browns being able to beat the Bengals at home. Prime Time or not. Just don't have the horses.

So - Local Cleveland radio says that they have some packages in place for for Manziel for Thursday. Everyone is looking for a chance to get Manziel in. Are the Bengals going to start his career ala Favre?

Also - three weeks ago - the local talking heads were so in love with Hoyer that they were contemplating what they should pay him since he is a free agent this coming year. 12 million per was being thrown around as an agreed upon value. Also the franchise tag for 16 mil was a possibility. Haven't said a word about a contract since and now its all questions about when Manziel will play.

I hate to say it - Dalton really looks questionable at points - but I am glad we don't have a QB controversy with such deep rooted QB issues as Cleveland. Its painful.

One last ramble - Since I am in Cleveland - I have always rooted for both the Browns and the Bengals to be in a meaningful game late in the season. This may be the first time in 15 or so years that both teams are above 0.500 and playing this late in the season. Should be fun.

Bengals 27 Browns 12

injury update from hobs:

INJURY UPDATE: It looks like the players who didn’t work Monday also didn’t go Tuesday in the only full-scale workout before the game and aren’t going to play against the Browns. Certainly not middle linebacker Rey Maualuga (hamstring) and probably not running back Giovani Bernard (hip, shoulder), cornerback Leon Hall (concussion) and right tackle Andre Smith (ankle). Smith was in a boot for the second straight day. Tight end Jermaine Gresham, not on Monday’s injury report, emerged from the locker room during practice in sweats and did not practice. Neither did cornerback Terence Newman (chest) and defensive lineman Robert Geathers (shoulder).

Cornerback Darqueze Dennard (hamstring) went limited and right guard Kevin Zeitler (calf) went full for the second straight day.

There have been NUMEROUS times where I thought there was no way the Browns should have been in games against the Bengals and yet, there they were.

Not only that, but they've won a few as well. It's a divisional game and they need to approach it in the manner I suggested in my last post.

Letting the Browns jump into the division lead by getting beat on your home field in a primetime game is unf*ckingacceptable.

I would beat that into the players head relentlessly.

I recall a conversation about Dalton and only having 6 TD before the Jags game. He's now at 8 (can't say that's a great number) but I noticed a couple other things along those lines. The best team in the league, record wise, right now is the Cardinals with Carson's 11 TD's (not stellar either). Stafford, Wilson, and Alex Smith all have 11 TD's as well. The Alex Smith one is something I saw over on PFT where not a single one of his 11 TD's has gone to a WR. They have either gone to a TE or RB. That seems highly unlikely when thinking about it.

My point ?? Crazy sh*t happens all the time, but if you can come up with a "W" on game day, less is thought of it.

Arizona, Detroit, Seattle, and KC all are on top of their division or at least have a winning record at the mid-way point.

So do our Bengals and I can't be happier about that.

Here's to hoping that continues tomorrow night !!!

I recall a conversation about Dalton and only having 6 TD before the Jags game. He's now at 8 (can't say that's a great number) but I noticed a couple other things along those lines. The best team in the league, record wise, right now is the Cardinals with Carson's 11 TD's (not stellar either). Stafford, Wilson, and Alex Smith all have 11 TD's as well. The Alex Smith one is something I saw over on PFT where not a single one of his 11 TD's has gone to a WR. They have either gone to a TE or RB. That seems highly unlikely when thinking about it.

My point ?? Crazy sh*t happens all the time, but if you can come up with a "W" on game day, less is thought of it.

Arizona, Detroit, Seattle, and KC all are on top of their division or at least have a winning record at the mid-way point.

So do our Bengals and I can't be happier about that.

Here's to hoping that continues tomorrow night !!!

Well said! Cat put up a comparison on offensive TDs since Dalton and this year is right on pace with last year, they just have more rushing TDs this year.

BOTTOM LINE: It's not about Dalton's stats, it's about Bengal stats!

Dalton's TD pass stat is definitely deceiving this year. He is up in just about every other category of note, and Hoosier is right -- the Bengals have been scoring nearly as many touchdowns as last year but with many more on the ground. Also, it's pointless to talk about 8 TD passes without also acknowledging 2 TD runs and 1 TD reception. Dalton has 11 TDs, not 8.

Our secondary against Baby Hawk should be interesting to watch

They have to win this game tonight. BIG. PRIMETIME. GAME.

First place on the line. Home win streak on the line. Primetime game against an instate division rival.

The Browns are going to be amped up about the possibility of coming in and taking a win.

The Bengals have to be equally amped, smack them in the mouth, and send them packing.

A loss here will really give me reason to question the remainder of the season.

What more do you need for motivation ?? Make it happen.

They have to win this game tonight. BIG. PRIMETIME. GAME.

First place on the line. Home win streak on the line. Primetime game against an instate division rival.

The Browns are going to be amped up about the possibility of coming in and taking a win.

The Bengals have to be equally amped, smack them in the mouth, and send them packing.

A loss here will really give me reason to question the remainder of the season.

What more do you need for motivation ?? Make it happen.

When Baltimore won the SB last time, they had a lot of injuries during that playoff stretch.

Tonight is a good 'dress rehearsal' for a playoff game, being the way the Browns are playing and being primetime. The Bengals need to show that they can win even without FNR, Burfict, Hall, Jones, Eifert, Smith, and Gio.

Tonight's game is a real testament to how Marvin and the coaching staff have assembled a squad over the years. Not just a team - but a squad with depth that can compete.

Darts tonight - home after and then the game an hour later - day off of work tomorrow. WHODEY !!!!!!