Browns @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

As much as I hate to Hall hurt or anyone hurt, I really want to see Kirkpatrick and Dennard get real playing time. It's about time to see what these young guys can do, or if it's something they will have to address.

When Hall and Joseph were here togther it took them a little bit to get it togther, but we were happy when they did. How can we call anyone a bust if they don't play? Not to mention I really think Marvin likes playing Vet guys out there he is know for that, just remember Simpson and Caldwell at WR.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I agree with that Hoosier. Hill is one of those RBs that do much better with the more touches he gets. With the way Hue distributes the ball, Hill will never be good in this offense, the way he would be if he was getting more touches. I want to see Gio in this offense, but have him come in on 3rd downs or for screen passes, hell line him up wide. Yea Hill should be the starter

Yep I agree with that Hoosier. Hill is one of those RBs that do much better with the more touches he gets. With the way Hue distributes the ball, Hill will never be good in this offense, the way he would be if he was getting more touches. I want to see Gio in this offense, but have him come in on 3rd downs or for screen passes, hell line him up wide. Yea Hill should be the starter

I think Gio is better/dangerous in space, but Hill can do better out of the backfield. There may be something to Marvin leaning toward the vets and less to the rookies.

We had the same issue last year wanting Gio the main back over BJGE.

There's no reason to favor one RB over the other based on time in the system. 2nd year guy vs a rookie isn't HUGE.

That's not even my point to that, but rather they seem to cut out for specific roles and are being utilized differently.

Hill is certainly the between the tackles kind of guy where Gio is the guy dangerous in space.

I have no issue with them both being in the backfield at the same time and actually prefer that considering no Jones and Eifert.

However, continuing to force Gio up the gut seems silly to me. Gio is 5'9 and Hill is 6'2. That's substantial.

I don't know how this is going to shake out, but with the game Hill had I can't see them not increasing his carries.

Knowing that Hill can also catch the ball well is just another plus to the whole story. He's not one dimensional.

There may be something to Marvin leaning toward the vets and less to the rookies.

We had the same issue last year wanting Gio the main back over BJGE.

We have this issue every year. Most teams are meritocracies, though often of a brutal Darwinian nature. NE is probably the most extreme example. But the Bengals are like a union shop: seniority rules even if the younger guy is better. Injury is about the only ticket to change and even then the vet will get their job back even if they suck (see Cook).

But it's been that way for a loooooong time. This organization has always prized loyalty over everything else. Keep your mouth shut, toe the company line, don't ask for too much money and you'll go far in Cincy, even if your play turns to poo (see Peko).

Well, this team is running out of options. At the mid-way point, things appear to be what they are. A decent offense that can shine on occasion and play ball control if mistakes are avoided. And a flawed defense, with occasional bits of promise. As Atkins goes, so goes the defense.

Possibly making Jeremy Hill the centerpiece of this offense could be what this team needs to take a step up. Increased ball control, clock control. Keeping the defense off the field and when on it, not asking them to be top 10 again...because they certainly are not.

If the hesitancy exists to let Hill do his impersonation of Arian Foster, and we get more Gio between the tackles....then...I don't know what to say. Other than "this is bullshit".

Gio, Dennard and Moobs all not practicing again. ETA: Hall, Gresham also not practicing. Conflicting reports on Dennard whether he was out or not.

Meanwhile, Greg Little sounds a bit eager to get back at Cleveland...

@pauldehnerjr: Will have more up on the blog on Greg Little going off on Cleveland, Mike Pettine and what happened there very soon. Stay tuned.

Well, this team is running out of options. At the mid-way point, things appear to be what they are. A decent offense that can shine on occasion and play ball control if mistakes are avoided. And a flawed defense, with occasional bits of promise. As Atkins goes, so goes the defense.

Possibly making Jeremy Hill the centerpiece of this offense could be what this team needs to take a step up. Increased ball control, clock control. Keeping the defense off the field and when on it, not asking them to be top 10 again...because they certainly are not.

If the hesitancy exists to let Hill do his impersonation of Arian Foster, and we get more Gio between the tackles....then...I don't know what to say. Other than "this is bullshit".

Can't argue with any of that, especially the last sentence. And especially this week, because Cleveland's run D is as bad as ours.

I'm just gonna say, the Bengals had better be ready for Cleveland's RBs. They've been playing 3 guys who have all been pretty effective. The one they play the least, Isaiah Crowell, was a guy I wanted to see in stripes later in the draft. He's a Marshawn Lynch-style beast who, given the opportunity, will eat the gooey middle of the Cincy D for lunch (or dinner, as this one is in prime time).

I hope Atkins, Thompson and Peko eat their wheaties or it could be a long night against those guys.

Honestly, I would rather Little said nothing in regards to the Browns.

Shut the f*ck up and let your play do the talking.

Oh and don't drop the ball if thrown your way.

What he said was he didn't like the HC. He said if you passed him in the hallway, just the 2 of you, he wouldn't speak to you or acknowledge you at all.

He said he couldn't go out and lay it on the line for someone like that.

I do agree with you Army, I've never been a student or teacher of running the mouth in ANY sport. 99% of the time all it does is work against you

I'm just gonna say, the Bengals had better be ready for Cleveland's RBs. They've been playing 3 guys who have all been pretty effective. The one they play the least, Isaiah Crowell, was a guy I wanted to see in stripes later in the draft. He's a Marshawn Lynch-style beast who, given the opportunity, will eat the gooey middle of the Cincy D for lunch (or dinner, as this one is in prime time).

I hope Atkins, Thompson and Peko eat their wheaties or it could be a long night against those guys.

No offense Walrus, but the Browns run game has been garbage since Mack went down. Yeah, they have three competent rushers, but they have problems sustaining any momentum. Not sure Crowell was active the last two weeks. I know they deactivated West a few weeks back for disciplinary reasons.

Total team rush stats - CLE

Vs JAX - 28 rushes for 62 yards

VS OAK - 25 Rushes for 39 yards

VS TB - 26 Rushes for 51 yards

Crowell has like 20 of those yards in 8 carries.

I am not worried about the Browns offense. More concerned with their defense and forcing Dalton to make mistakes.

No offense Walrus, but the Browns run game has been garbage since Mack went down. Yeah, they have three competent rushers, but they have problems sustaining any momentum. Not sure Crowell was active the last two weeks. I know they deactivated West a few weeks back for disciplinary reasons.

I am not worried about the Browns offense. More concerned with their defense and forcing Dalton to make mistakes.

I did hear his explanation on the one off Whit's back:

It was a screen and the target got taken down, so he was trying to get the ball on the ground. I 'thought' that may have been what happened but wasn't sure un8he said it himself.

Little is an idiot that acts like the %$!% when he does anything good. I guess he forgets all the fumbles and easily dropped passes. He needs to learn to STFU and play or else he will be out of a job.

How can he act like a diva when he has never doen anything.

He is fast, big and tall - but his hands are worse than Gresham's. And that is hard to do.

Little is an idiot that acts like the %$!% when he does anything good. I guess he forgets all the fumbles and easily dropped passes. He needs to learn to STFU and play or else he will be out of a job.

How can he act like a diva when he has never doen anything.

He is fast, big and tall - but his hands are worse than Gresham's. And that is hard to do.

The only quotes I saw from him were about the, what appears to be, according to him, diva HC in Cleveland.

No worries though. Whit has basically come out and said there will none of that foolishness on this team, as long he's here, especially after the Chad Johnson /Terrell Owens 3 Ring Circus!

Again, I would rather him simply say "Next question" when asked anything about the Browns.

It serves no purpose whatsoever in regards to what the Bengals need to do Thursday night.

What Bengals fan cares what kind of coach Pettine is? What Bengals fan cares what Little's deal was in Cleveland?

Who f*cking cares ?? Just shut up and go play and if you win, walk off the field like a pro.

Again, I would rather him simply say "Next question" when asked anything about the Browns.

It serves no purpose whatsoever in regards to what the Bengals need to do Thursday night.

What Bengals fan cares what kind of coach Pettine is? What Bengals fan cares what Little's deal was in Cleveland?

Who f*cking cares ?? Just shut up and go play and if you win, walk off the field like a pro.

Sounds like it's too late now! Thanks Greg! Now we'll see an even more fired up Browns.

I'm far less concerned about Greg and far more about the weather. Forecast is pretty soggy. 60% change of showers during the day, high of 51. 40% chance of more rain in the early evening, temps falling below 40, 12 mph winds. Sounds like a setup for a run-oriented, defensive game. Which has not been our strength this year.

I'm far less concerned about Greg and far more about the weather. Forecast is pretty soggy. 60% change of showers during the day, high of 51. 40% chance of more rain in the early evening, temps falling below 40, 12 mph winds. Sounds like a setup for a run-oriented, defensive game. Which has not been our strength this year.

How do the Browns measure up in run defense?

As much as I hate to Hall hurt or anyone hurt, I really want to see Kirkpatrick and Dennard get real playing time. It's about time to see what these young guys can do, or if it's something they will have to address.

When Hall and Joseph were here togther it took them a little bit to get it togther, but we were happy when they did. How can we call anyone a bust if they don't play? Not to mention I really think Marvin likes playing Vet guys out there he is know for that, just remember Simpson and Caldwell at WR.

Perhaps when we don;t have the season on the line every week (like we seem to have at the present time) they'll get some games together as the starters ......but also bear in mind that if they become the starters they'll want (and for that read their agents will demand) starter type contracts