Panthers @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense needs to get fixed. On the positive, Carolina has a Damn good defense and to put up 37 (40) points on them without Green, Jones, and Eifert is pretty impressive...still should have won this game by 10+ points. Hopefully we get some guys back next week.

Hate to say it but when you don't upgrade from players like Peko and Malaluga, this is what you eventually get. A declining defense.

Yea I love Peko but he is so bad this year. Along with Geno who is non existant most of the game, there interior linemen suck! There is no pass rush, Paul's blitzes suck, they are making so many mistakes, and pointing fingers, it's just a very bad defense. I miss Zimmer, I don't know if things would be different or not, but guys are so out of place.

I have no problem with where the offense is, but when the defense is that bad it's going to be hard to win regardless.

Man 3-0 seemed like a life time ago lol

Well, disappointing drive home time. Nugent needs his ass cut, that was fucking pathetic! Offense played solid IMO. Defense couldn't find its ass with both hands. At least it was more fun than the playoff game...

If you would have told me that without Eifert, Jones and Green the o would score 37 I would have called you crazy.

If you told me the d would give up 37 to Carolina I would have called you crazy.

If you told me Nugent would choke on a chippie to win in OT...ok, way this year has gone I might have bought that.

Crazy game. It's hard to judge because of all the injuries. The offense I think was ok. The d...so many high picks like Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Hunt, where are they? Geno and Hall aren't at full go. Peko is done. Still, love to his daughter, gives us nothing. First name Rey has regressed, again. Vinny Rey is a disappointment to me. Lamur was on and off and now is hurt again. Burfict can't stay on the field. All together it just looks like the wheels fell off. I'm sure Gunther will get blamed but not by me.

If you would have told me that without Eifert, Jones and Green the o would score 37 I would have called you crazy.

If you told me the d would give up 37 to Carolina I would have called you crazy.

If you told me Nugent would choke on a chippie to win in OT...ok, way this year has gone I might have bought that.

Crazy game. It's hard to judge because of all the injuries. The offense I think was ok. The d...so many high picks like Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Hunt, where are they? Geno and Hall aren't at full go. Peko is done. Still, love to his daughter, gives us nothing. First name Rey has regressed, again. Vinny Rey is a disappointment to me. Lamur was on and off and now is hurt again. Burfict can't stay on the field. All together it just looks like the wheels fell off. I'm sure Gunther will get blamed but not by me.

Yea but they are so undisaplined. I don't care who you have playing out there, if the players don't play in the right spots your going to get beat. Players are out there pointing fingers shoving one another, everybody thought it was Burfict well he came back and players were still out of position. I don't remember a time when Zimmer was here where it was this bad. Not to mention they look old and slow. They get pushed back all the time. This defense makes me sick, if they can't fix it this team is going no where. I don't know if it's Paul or not but the defense is not the same and it shows. Lets hope it gets fixed or something.

I too feel the defensive woes are deeper than Guenther. The first 3 games they looked, for the most part, in sync.

Last 2 games out of sorts.

No clue why, but they better figure things out this week.

For me the biggest penalty was Smith's hold on Hill's TD.

Sounds like Burfict was out there trying to hurt guys yesterday, and not just his own teammates. Panthers players said Burfict was intentionally trying to hurt them by twisting there legs and stuff.

I don't know if that's true, but one thing I seen yesterday is he almost took out his own guys quite a few times. Not to mention he is a flag machine out there, every time I turn around he is getting flagged. This guy worries me with all his concussions hopefully it does not affect his career or life.

Oh and hopefully he is not trying to hurt other teams players

Let's at least acknowledge the obvious positive perspective in this:

- Without AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, Kevin Zeitler, and Brandon Thompson

- Despite numerous crucial penalties which negated big plays AND a touchdown

- Despite playing the worst defensive game at home in recent memory

- Despite giving up 100 yards rushing to a quarterback

The Bengals were in position to beat a reigning conference championship game participant and current division leader with a 36 yard field goal attempt as time expired. It didn't happen, but the team still showed some character.

The biggest penalty for me was the Gresham penalty that negated the 47 yard pass to Sanu. Maybe it is because I am so done with Gresham in general.

I'll pick the Moobs hold negating the TD. Really tho both were borderline phantom calls. Meanwhile Gilberry gets his head ripped off, no flag. Refs were awful yesterday.

Those penalties against burfict were total bs calls. He hardly touched newton and the receiver hit was an attempt to knock the ball out, its football for Christ sakes people get hit hard and hurt just let them play bloody referees.

I'm really not as down today as I was yesterday but I cannot understand why paul didn't have someone spy newton, he wouldn't have got half the yards he did get.

andy regressed a bit with the silly picks but fought back well and got us in a position to win we just didn't manage it.

This team will sort itself out.

it was really good to see the offense play well enough to bail out the defense. That doesn't happen much around here, and it even came shorthanded. A very very good sign. I was hoping to see Andy get a chance to prove that he can lead a long come-from-behind drive, but PacMan screwed it up. I can live with that.

Bengals should have been looking hard for a kicker for years, but not because of the field goals. The lack of touchbacks, and the fact that Nugent gets injured, really made this an important thing on the to-do list. But the Bengals like to wait until a guy really proves that he's inept, by which time, by definition, he's hurt you bad. get more proactive, and you'll start winning the bright lights games, in my opinion.

Those penalties against burfict were total bs calls. He hardly touched newton and the receiver hit was an attempt to knock the ball out, its football for Christ sakes people get hit hard and hurt just let them play bloody referees.

I'm really not as down today as I was yesterday but I cannot understand why paul didn't have someone spy newton, he wouldn't have got half the yards he did get.

andy regressed a bit with the silly picks but fought back well and got us in a position to win we just didn't manage it.

This team will sort itself out.

They may have been BS calls, but these are the calls he is going to get because he is considered a dirty player. The refs are watching him very closly and it showed yesterday. Either way the refs were awful yesterday, they were throwing way to many flags making the game not so fun.

IF this is the same defense Zimmer and Guenther designed, with basically the same personnel, and knowing that Guenther was on the other end of Zimmer's headset last year, calling most 3rd down plays, how in the world could they be confused and not know how to line up?

Having sa5that, I don't see how Guenther could be the problem. There must be something else going on?

Sounds like Burfict was out there trying to hurt guys yesterday, and not just his own teammates. Panthers players said Burfict was intentionally trying to hurt them by twisting there legs and stuff.

I don't know if that's true, but one thing I seen yesterday is he almost took out his own guys quite a few times. Not to mention he is a flag machine out there, every time I turn around he is getting flagged. This guy worries me with all his concussions hopefully it does not affect his career or life.

Oh and hopefully he is not trying to hurt other teams players

He no doubt tried to twist Olsen's foot on the td well after he was in the end zone on the ground. Scumbag move for sure.

From what I can glean it's not confusion so much as guys not minding their responsibilities. Adam Jones was hitting on that theme after the game yesterday.

Watching some of the highlights and plays posted on Twitter, two things jumped out at me. One, Carolina, like NE, routinely kept extra guys in to protect Newton. Two, our LBs appear very very slow to diagnose plays. Any kind of run fake or read option froze them or got them turned around.