Bengals @ Patriots Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find the article now, but I recall reading that the team had shifted its practice schedule later in the day last week as a way to prepare for the primetime game. I'm not sure if this is something they usually do or if this indicates they are trying to mix things up and find the formula for prime-time success. If this was part of an attempt to improve in prime time, that would indicate that the organization knows there is more than luck at work here.

I suspect Hoosier is right with his theory that with more experience would follow more success, but I would like to see the primetime winning percentages for teams like the Bears, who have a disproportionate number of appearances.

I would like the narrative for the upcoming Monday night game against the Broncos be "They can't win against good teams in prime time." Same for the playoffs when they get there.

I want that to be all they hear. Non-stop.

It's quite possible that will be the only thing that will inspire them to get over the hump.

That and I want them to come out and absolutely punch Pittsburgh in the mouth from the first kickoff. I'd also even be ok with them taking out their punter in pregame.

I suspect Hoosier is right with his theory that with more experience would follow more success, but I would like to see the primetime winning percentages for teams like the Bears, who have a disproportionate number of appearances.

Well, overall the Bears are .462 on prime time in the regular season, way better than Cincy's .328. But if you look at the Bears first 58 games versus Cincy's total 58, the records are fairly close. Bengals are 19-39, Bears were 24-34. OTOH, Pitt, Philly and Dallas all had 29+ wins over their first 58 prime time games. I didn't look at home vs. road or any other teams.

I suspect that if you worked everything out, the Bengals would still end up near the bottom of the league in terms of prime time performance, with a special emphasis on being bad on the road. OTOH, for a quarter of this team's existence they were bad, period.

At least the two remaining bright lights games are at PBS.

One other set of numbers to consider and then I have to actually go do some work!

Marvin is 6-14 overall in prime time, but it's not like he's played 20 different teams. In fact more than a quarter of those games were against the Steelers and almost half against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Here's the rundown. Numbers in parenthesis are Marvin's record against those teams in normal 1 pm/4 pm Sunday games.

Pittsburgh 1-5 (6-10)

Baltimore 2-1 (11-9)

Miami 1-1 (1-2)

NE 0-2 (1-3)

Jets 0-2 (2-2)

Denver 1-0 (0-5)

Philadelphia 1-0 (1-0-1)

Jacksonville 0-1 (3-0)

Indianapolis 0-1 (2-3)

SF 0-1 (1-1)

Boiled down, Marvin's poor record in prime time is due to an inability to beat three teams in prime time that he's been decent against on Sunday afternoons: the Steelers, Jets and Patriots. Marvin's Bengals are 1-9 against these three teams in prime time, versus 9-15 Sunday afternoons. Against everyone else, he has a prime time record of 5-5-1, versus a 19-20-1 afternoon record.

Lap pointed out during the game after the second Pats TD about the bengals defense pointing fingers, and yelling at each other. I think after that I knew it was not going to be a good night. Hopefully they get the communication better.

I still think the game plans in this game sucked!! Paul got away from what they were doing best the last couple weeks.

How about Hue love the way he calls games, but the last 2 games Gio has maybe 3 passes caught? Lets get back to what made it a good offense in the first place.

I think they are over thinking things and trying to get to cute.

Lap pointed out during the game after the second Pats TD about the bengals defense pointing fingers, and yelling at each other. I think after that I knew it was not going to be a good night. Hopefully they get the communication better.

I still think the game plans in this game sucked!! Paul got away from what they were doing best the last couple weeks.

BURFICT!!!! He is the leader. I don't think any of that would have happened had he been on the field. He would have had the guys better organized, ready, and would have nipped the finger pointing in the bud!

Yes, I know it is what it is when he isn't on the field, but he is still ON the Bengals. Lamur is in his first year of play, Vinny Rey hasn't played much linebacker, and Malaluga is no leader.

Lewis and Guenther both are in awe of how intelligent he is and how he has fit right into the mold of learning the WHOLE defense and being the leader and inspiration. Everybody plays better when he's on the field and pumped, just like the Pats did against us.

I believe, he is, for the defense, what Brady is for his offense.

PLUS, the Pats defense, fed off their offense, when the offense scored on their first possession.

I think the same thing happens to the Bengals when we defer the opening kick off, and Burfict is on the field, and the other teams does not score, the offense feeds off of that.

One other set of numbers to consider and then I have to actually go do some work!

Marvin is 6-14 overall in prime time, but it's not like he's played 20 different teams. In fact more than a quarter of those games were against the Steelers and almost half against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Here's the rundown. Numbers in parenthesis are Marvin's record against those teams in normal 1 pm/4 pm Sunday games.

Pittsburgh 1-5 (6-10)

Baltimore 2-1 (11-9)

Miami 1-1 (1-2)

NE 0-2 (1-3)

Jets 0-2 (2-2)

Denver 1-0 (0-5)

Philadelphia 1-0 (1-0-1)

Jacksonville 0-1 (3-0)

Indianapolis 0-1 (2-3)

SF 0-1 (1-1)

Boiled down, Marvin's poor record in prime time is due to an inability to beat three teams in prime time that he's been decent against on Sunday afternoons: the Steelers, Jets and Patriots. Marvin's Bengals are 1-9 against these three teams in prime time, versus 9-15 Sunday afternoons. Against everyone else, he has a prime time record of 5-5-1, versus a 19-20-1 afternoon record.

And then there's this:

Bengals Playoff Record

5 - 12

Four of the five wins came in the 1981 and the 1988 seasons when the Bengals had the number one seed.

HOME - 5 - 1

AWAY - 0 - 11

COACHES

Paul Brown 0 - 3

Forest Gregg 2 - 2

Sam Wyche 3 - 2

Marvin Lewis 0 - 5

No Bengals coach has EVER won a playoff game on the road. All 5 wins have been at home, and all but one of the 12 losses have been on the road.

Pittsburgh 1-5 (6-10)

Baltimore 2-1 (11-9)

Miami 1-1 (1-2)

NE 0-2 (1-3)

Jets 0-2 (2-2)

Denver 1-0 (0-5)

Philadelphia 1-0 (1-0-1)

Jacksonville 0-1 (3-0)

Indianapolis 0-1 (2-3)

SF 0-1 (1-1)

And then there's this:

Bengals Playoff Record

5 - 12

Four of the five wins came in the 1981 and the 1988 seasons when the Bengals had the number one seed.

HOME - 5 - 1

AWAY - 0 - 11

COACHES

Paul Brown 0 - 3

Forest Gregg 2 - 2

Sam Wyche 3 - 2

Marvin Lewis 0 - 5

No Bengals coach has EVER won a playoff game on the road. All 5 wins have been at home, and all but one of the 12 losses have been on the road.

This can't be accurate. The Bengals lost to Pittsburgh, NYJ, and San Diego. That's 3 losses at home right there.

Pittsburgh 1-5 (6-10)

Baltimore 2-1 (11-9)

Miami 1-1 (1-2)

NE 0-2 (1-3)

Jets 0-2 (2-2)

Denver 1-0 (0-5)

Philadelphia 1-0 (1-0-1)

Jacksonville 0-1 (3-0)

Indianapolis 0-1 (2-3)

SF 0-1 (1-1)

And then there's this:

Bengals Playoff Record

5 - 12

HOME - 5 - 3

AWAY - 0 - 9

COACHES

Paul Brown 0 - 3

Forest Gregg 2 - 2

Sam Wyche 3 - 2

Marvin Lewis 0 - 5

This can't be accurate. The Bengals lost to Pittsburgh, NYJ, and San Diego. That's 3 losses at home right there.

You are correct cincy.

The stats should be:

Home - 5-3

Away - 0-9

Unfortunately, it makes it even worse and doesn't change the fact that they've never won an away game. ;)/>

Pittsburgh 1-5 (6-10)

Baltimore 2-1 (11-9)

Miami 1-1 (1-2)

NE 0-2 (1-3)

Jets 0-2 (2-2)

Denver 1-0 (0-5)

Philadelphia 1-0 (1-0-1)

Jacksonville 0-1 (3-0)

Indianapolis 0-1 (2-3)

SF 0-1 (1-1)

And then there's this:

Bengals Playoff Record

5 - 12

HOME - 5 - 3

AWAY - 0 - 9

COACHES

Paul Brown 0 - 3

Forest Gregg 2 - 2

Sam Wyche 3 - 2

Marvin Lewis 0 - 5

You are correct cincy.

The stats should be:

Home - 5-3

Away - 0-9

Unfortunately, it makes it even worse and doesn't change the fact that they've never won an away game. ;)/>/>

Ack! It still looks ugly!

I do think this is the year that they break through and win a playoff game.

Pittsburgh 1-5 (6-10)

Baltimore 2-1 (11-9)

Miami 1-1 (1-2)

NE 0-2 (1-3)

Jets 0-2 (2-2)

Denver 1-0 (0-5)

Philadelphia 1-0 (1-0-1)

Jacksonville 0-1 (3-0)

Indianapolis 0-1 (2-3)

SF 0-1 (1-1)

And then there's this:

Bengals Playoff Record

5 - 12

HOME - 5 - 3

AWAY - 0 - 9

COACHES

Paul Brown 0 - 3

Forest Gregg 2 - 2

Sam Wyche 3 - 2

Marvin Lewis 0 - 5

You are correct cincy.

The stats should be:

Home - 5-3

Away - 0-9

Unfortunately, it makes it even worse and doesn't change the fact that they've never won an away game. ;)/>/>/>

Ack! It still looks ugly!

I do think this is the year that they break through and win a playoff game.

This may be the possible silver lining in all of this cincy.

They have 2 primetime games left. Both at home against the Browns and Broncos.

IF they can play to their capabilities between now and then, the last game against the Broncos may be for the number 1 seed.

Both times the Bengals went to the SB, 1981 and 1988, they were the number one seed and won both playoff home games each year.

Yup, factor in the playoffs a similar patter emerges. Marvin has coached the Bengals in 20 prime-time regular season games and five playoff games. Almost half of those 25 games, 12, have been against three teams: Pittsburgh (7), the New York Jets (3) and Houston (2). In those games the Bengals are 1-11. In the other 13 games they have been a reasonably competitive 5-8.

Bottom line, Pittsburgh has owned the Bengals when it counts and that's the biggest single factor in the team's "bright lights" challenge.