5th Round #1: Shawn Prater

ArmyBengal

CBS:

Positives: Aware zone cornerback who is also adept in man coverage, flashing physical hand punch at the line and straight-line speed to stay with receivers downfield. Good strength to tackle. Plays with high energy and is a tough-minded overachiever with experience as a special teams gunner. Very aggressive attacking receiver blocks and tackles like a safety.

Negatives: Receivers can arm-bar downfield to create separation. He's too often caught peeking in the backfield and gives ground on double moves. Fails to maintain inside technique in man coverage. Not a press corner. Doesn't high-point the ball and his reputation as a battler can work against him on the field.

NFL.com:

OVERVIEW

Prater is an athletic corner who has the quickness and mental makeup to play early at the next level. He was a three-year starter at Iowa and has been a good player against some strong talent throughout his career. He will be hindered by a poor finish to his senior year that culminated in a rough showing against Oklahoma in the Insight Bowl against some NFL-caliber talent, but in the end he has put a lot of good years on film.

STRENGTHS

Prater is an athletic guy, he is able to cover in man and has the burst and recognition to react well when playing zone. In man, he has the hips and footwork to mirror his man down the field and the recognition to make a play on the ball once it's thrown. He has good flexibility, and it shows when he is maneuvering at the top of routes to stay in close to his man. He understands how to work back in zone and see players in front of him, and he has a much better burst from a still position to react to thrown balls than he does a burst to stay with a man deep.

WEAKNESSES

Prater can struggle at times when working in man to understand when the ball is thrown. He is good to stay with a receiver in-route but will look lost at times when having to look back towards the quarterback when downfield. He also isn't very good to jump in full speed and make a play, and is just average overall in run support and tackling.

I'm thinking they try to see if he can play as a safety, and if not, might be a good addition on special teams. I don't think its a bad move myself and it's not like we're betting the house on it. If he can't play safety but becomes a solid special teamer, I think that itself is worth what we're spending on him.

Bengals drafting their highest rated talent right now. I'm ok with that. A smart team drafting does not all of the sudden become dumb.

I'm trusting them.

I figure it this way: Prater is smart, productive and experienced. And when you look at our DBs, Mays is a question mark, Miles and Sands haven't done anything, Newman and Clements are old old old, Pacman can't stay healthy, Allen was a bust and Hall is coming off an Achilles tear. Frankly I don't think we can possibly have enough options headed into camp.

I'm seeing a wasted pick. pick they could have packaged to move up earlier, or traded for a pick next year. This guy wont

make the roster. Do you think this guy beats out 2 of the following?

Leon Hall

Nate Clements

Adam Jones

Jason Allen

Rico Murray

Brandon Ghee

Dre Kirkpatrick

They will probably keep 6 CB's Max.....

I'm sure they could have gotten a 4th next year from somebody for this 5th. Polk was also still available....

Not liking this pick.

Even taking that as assumed, Hoosier, shouldnt the guy we picked have been a man cover guy rather than a zone guy?

I understand your thought here, but it could be at this point they are just grabbing the best guy at the position who's on the board. Given his other skills, he seems like a pretty good bet. Doesn't work out as CB? Try safety. Still no good? Try special teams and keep him as a backup or role player. There might have been a better coverage CB out there, but maybe he doesn't have anything else going for him. This gives us several ways we might win on the pick, as opposed to possibly just one. This is all just wild speculation on my part though.

I'm seeing a wasted pick. pick they could have packaged to move up earlier, or traded for a pick next year. This guy wont

make the roster. Do you think this guy beats out 2 of the following?

Leon Hall

Nate Clements

Adam Jones

Jason Allen

Rico Murray

Brandon Ghee

Dre Kirkpatrick

They will probably keep 6 CB's Max.....

I'm sure they could have gotten a 4th next year from somebody for this 5th. Polk was also still available....

Not liking this pick.

Wasn't Murray released again and Ghee equalled to about zero at this point ??

If nothing else, they had no secondary on the practice squad.

Some of those guys won't be here next year either.

Leon Hall - coming off Achilles injury

Nate Clements - old

Adam Jones - can't stay healthy

Jason Allen - bust

Rico Murray - released a couple weeks ago, keep up pimp!

Brandon Ghee - what has he ever done?

Dre Kirkpatrick - ok he won't replace him

SHAUN PRATER - CB - IOWA (No. 126 Overall)

STRENGTHS: Great quickness, foot speed and hip flexibility when turning and running with receivers. Has the speed to stick with most receivers in the NFL, and has good athleticism and ball skills to go up and make a play.

WEAKNESSES: He’s only 5’10, 190 pounds, so somehow he’s going to have to find a way to bulk up a bit with- out losing any of his speed. He’s a play maker when he can get his hands on the ball, but I question if he’ll be consistent in the NFL.

OVERALL: Solid player worth a late round pick. He has the intangibles to be a game changer if coached up correctly.