1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

Not saying we couldn't do with on-field agressiveness and attitude, I'm saying he may not be worthy of a first round pick.

Quotes from the article:-

"For instance, Michael Lombardi and Jay Glazer noted that if he were to slip past Cincinnati at No.21, he would likely be a second round pick."

"Upshaw has talent, it's just a matter of if it's worth a first round selection or not."

"Don't like the boom or bust picks. Especially on a position that is not that bad at the moment. "

"Solid player, but not spectacular."

"I’m more worried he’ll be the next Rivers, not the next Maualuga. As in he’ll get it together, but his ceiling might be low"

"I don't see why they think he's so special IMO we could get better. Hoping this is smoke."

" He doesn’t seem to be a fit in the 4-3."

"It would be quite the project though and I don’t like projects in the first. Although a MLB who can put his hand on the ground and rush the passer in nickle situations is pretty cool. But I mean yeah, he has great read and react skills. He’s stout against the run. He’d be an effective blitzer. He could probably handle the limited coverage responsibilities. But to take him over Coples or Perry to maybe get a versatile linebacker (when you already have Moch on the roster) seems.. like a waste."

"He’s like 280 pounds though. Not ideal size/weight."

"I really hope they dont unless he is far and away the best player left.If they do where does he play? He isnt a MLB, We have Lawson and Moch at SAM and Howard at WLB. We arent drafting a back up WLB at 21, If they really do like him it must be at DE."

"In the first round?! I would not understand this pick at all."

Marvin is said to love Upshaw and if he is there and he's not blowing smoke, I would expect him to be the pick should he be there when the Bengals go on the clock. I fully anticipate them using a pick on a DE though. They have entirely to many question marks and contracts that will be up next year to not address it.

That being said, I'm up in the air on Upshaw being the guy I want. There are some good write ups about how he compares to players in the league and is simply brutal and then there are poor write ups that think he's not a good fit and rarely plays to his athletic ability.

I made a comment in the draft forum about being curious how the sudden rise of Chandler Jones may impact picks ahead of us and if he could be that player that gets picked higher than anyone thought. I can't say as I have looked into him much, but if another team picking in front of us takes him, I would be happy to see another player get pushed down the board !!!

One write-up of Upshaw:

Height: 6-1.5

Weight: 271

40: 4.76

Year: 5Sr

Courtney Upshaw

School: Alabama

Position: DE

Bio: Two-year starter awarded All-American and All-conference honors last season with totals of 45 tackles/17 tackles for loss/8.5 sacks. Junior numbers included 52/14.5/7.

Positive: Explosive college pass rusher with potential at a number of positions in the NFL. Breaks down well, bends his knees and plays with leverage. Works his hands throughout the action, strong and displays the ability to defeat blocks. Jolts opponents with a violent hand punch, displays solid movement skills and is fluid getting down the line of scrimmage. Quick out of a three-point stance, displays a variety of moves and rarely gets knocked off his feet. Immediately locates the action and displays good awareness. Easily alters his angle of attack, bends off the edge and possesses natural pass-rushing skills.

Negative: Does not show great speed in backside pursuit or the ability to chase ballcarriers down from behind. Struggles dropping off the line of scrimmage in coverage.

Analysis: Upshaw was one of the nation's most feared pass rushers the past two years, and he consistently made plays behind the line of scrimmage. While projected to outside linebacker by many, he may lack the pure speed and movement skills in reverse to consistently stand up over tackle at the next level. Upshaw may be best as a one-gap defensive end, as his game is more power than quickness and speed.

Don't hate any of that. And it fits the "give me a lineman" fetish some of you have.

If they go this route, fine by me. Add in that he was crazy productive in the best league in college football in an NFL scheme, and he looks ready made to help somebody right away.

Well, with reports of the Ravens trading up to #20 should Upshaw fall there, we would have to use our #17 pick on him. I agree with Skyline in the thought of trusting the coaches with whomever they pick, knowing we will see an immediate impact from them.

Moch has to show something. I don't think he will be gone because they really don't have much depth, but he has to get himself together and get healthy. He has a lot of work to do though as he was already switching positions from DE to OLB coming out of college.

I think Upshaw would be viewed more as a DE in our defensive scheme though.

"Captain Kiper, we're approaching the Galactic Draft Barrier."

"Set the Rumor Mill to warp 9, Mr. McShay."

"Aye-aye, Captain."

"Engage."

With just one day left, the stuff is flying fast and furious. I heard the latest driving in to work today from McShay on Mike & Mike: The Vikes may take Claiborne at 3. Personally I'm not buying it, but I think they are trying to lure the Bucs into a trade. If Minny did take Claiborne and then the browns take Richardson, both the players Tampa wants are gone.

Here's hoping the Bucs swap firsts with the Vikes and take Trent! :cheers:

One write-up of Upshaw:

Courtney Upshaw

Bio: Two-year starter awarded All-American and All-conference honors last season with totals of 45 tackles/17 tackles for loss/8.5 sacks. Junior numbers included 52/14.5/7.

Positive: Explosive college pass rusher with potential at a number of positions in the NFL. Breaks down well, bends his knees and plays with leverage. Works his hands throughout the action, strong and displays the ability to defeat blocks. Jolts opponents with a violent hand punch, displays solid movement skills and is fluid getting down the line of scrimmage. Quick out of a three-point stance, displays a variety of moves and rarely gets knocked off his feet. Immediately locates the action and displays good awareness. Easily alters his angle of attack, bends off the edge and possesses natural pass-rushing skills.

Negative: Does not show great speed in backside pursuit or the ability to chase ballcarriers down from behind. Struggles dropping off the line of scrimmage in coverage.

Analysis: Upshaw was one of the nation's most feared pass rushers the past two years, and he consistently made plays behind the line of scrimmage. While projected to outside linebacker by many, he may lack the pure speed and movement skills in reverse to consistently stand up over tackle at the next level. Upshaw may be best as a one-gap defensive end, as his game is more power than quickness and speed.

Don't hate any of that. And it fits the "give me a lineman" fetish some of you have.

If they go this route, fine by me. Add in that he was crazy productive in the best league in college football in an NFL scheme, and he looks ready made to help somebody right away.

Enough with the "iffy" first rd picks. If we have to talk ourselves into liking a pick then it's not a good fit for a 1st rounder. Us Bengal fans should know that. Seems to me that Andre Smith, Keith Rivers and Peter Warrick all fit that description

• Like 1

With just one day left, the stuff is flying fast and furious. I heard the latest driving in to work today from McShay on Mike & Mike: The Vikes may take Claiborne at 3. Personally I'm not buying it, but I think they are trying to lure the Bucs into a trade. If Minny did take Claiborne and then the browns take Richardson, both the players Tampa wants are gone.

Here's hoping the Bucs swap firsts with the Vikes and take Trent!

I'm thinking that the Browns would take Trent under that scenario but it does interest me that with all the rumors, none of them are saying that the Vikings are looking at Trent. Why not? Doesn't their RB have a career threatening injury?

I dont' really care about the picks that are just about a given through the first 5 or 6 picks, but rather the ones a little further down that will certainly impact who will be there when we go on the clock. Tell me who the Jaguars, Chiefs, and Cardinals are going to take and that way I can figure our own situation out better !!!

One write-up of Upshaw:

Courtney Upshaw

Enough with the "iffy" first rd picks. If we have to talk ourselves into liking a pick then it's not a good fit for a 1st rounder. Us Bengal fans should know that. Seems to me that Andre Smith, Keith Rivers and Peter Warrick all fit that description

I see nothing overtly "iffy" about it. I see people pre-hating it for "iffy" reasons. And "sure things" at picks 17 & 21 of the draft are practically non-existent or they would have been a top 5 selection...

I see nothing overtly "iffy" about it. I see people pre-hating it for "iffy" reasons. And "sure things" at picks 17 & 21 of the draft are practically non-existent or they would have been a top 5 selection...

Sounds like you're agreeing that the pick is "iffy" when you say that sure things are practically non existent that far down... :unsure:

Wouldn't be upset with Upshaw at all. Some players just have great instincts and a knack for making plays. Upshaw is one of those guys. He is the type of player and playmaker the Steelers and ravens always seem to find... because they look for FOOTBALL players and don't get caught up in all this other stuff and nitpicking about little things.

Wouldn't be upset with Upshaw at all. Some players just have great instincts and a knack for making plays. Upshaw is one of those guys. He is the type of player and playmaker the Steelers and ravens always seem to find... because they look for FOOTBALL players and don't get caught up in all this other stuff and nitpicking about little things.

Yup. +1 and internet high five to new guy.

A dark horse to look for at #21 (or later if we choose to trade down) is Vinny Curry from Marshall, nobody in D-1 in this draft had more sacks, TFLs, and pressures than him over the last two seasons. He is an impact pass rusher and in a rotation system could be very valuable to the Bengals. Also check out Bruce Irvin in the 2nd if we go G and CB in the first talk about a speed demon off the edge jeez!

Good analysis link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695468/vinny-curry

After some thought, I'd like to see them draft defense with both picks. D-line and either LB or CB. They have to figure out how to get Ben and Flacco on the ground and cover the Steelers receivers and Torrey Smith from the Ravens.

While I'd love to get DeCastro and another playmaker on offense, they won't get over the hump if they cant beat their division rivals.

upshaw is a badass and a playmaker. would be a nice add for the 2nd half of the first round. we'll soon find out.

After some thought, I'd like to see them draft defense with both picks. D-line and either LB or CB. They have to figure out how to get Ben and Flacco on the ground and cover the Steelers receivers and Torrey Smith from the Ravens.

While I'd love to get DeCastro and another playmaker on offense, they won't get over the hump if they cant beat their division rivals.

Hence Why you get a Guard who helps you run the Ball because you need a High Quality linemen to take on their Defensive lines...Dunno about everyone else but I'd be scared to see Ball start vs them >.<

6'1 seems short for DE but then again Dumervill is only like 5'10 and Mathis 6'1...

Hence Why you get a Guard who helps you run the Ball because you need a High Quality linemen to take on their Defensive lines...Dunno about everyone else but I'd be scared to see Ball start vs them >.<

6'1 seems short for DE but then again Dumervill is only like 5'10 and Mathis 6'1...

Guard is definitely high on my list too. But my thinking and my point are that we have lost too many close games because we are unable to make a key stop or get the QB on the ground, especially against those two. Look at how anemic Baltimore's offense was before Ray Rice, yet they were in the playoffs every year because of their defense. Same thing with the Steelers. How many free points are generated by their defense? As good as Zimmer's defenses have been of late, I wouldn't put them in their class.

In the end I hope they make smart choices and get guys that can contribute this year.