Bengals Defense line getting alot worse.

Kazkal

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so here's another follow on question...

How does a team say who their priorities are, have plenty of money to spend, claim how you don't go after FA's because they don't know your system and you don't know if they will be a fit, and then let those same priorities walk out the door leaving you with further gaping holes to fill ??

Maybe they can push Fanene's and Rucker's proposed salary into the future to assist with contracts due in three years...

Oh yeah, if Sims leaves, they are F*CKED...

i would be very curious what offers the bengals made.

Bengals announce tender offers to LS Clark Harris, LB Dan Skuta, and S Jeromy Miles. (taken from the home page of Bengals.com)

Words fail me ....if the talent pool of the squad was THAT deep then why didn't we see guys making appearances last season? Fanene and Rucker will not be replaced by equal or better talent, just cheaper.

For F#'@KS SAKE ..... when we have the cap room we've got how the hell can the Browns be a more attractive offer??

I'm seriously considering not spend a couple of thousand $ on a trip over this coming season .....plenty of work on the farm for me to be carrying on with!!!

Well you could frontload a contract with a hefty signing fee (and we have cap space to do that) then release him after say 3 if age starts to take its toll. He'll be 29 at the start of the season.

Seriously, WTF? Neither got big coin, only about a $4 million a year average. I can understand being reluctant to dump that money into Rucker given his injury history, but there's no excuse for Fanene. Once again, the Bengals develop a guy then let him walk when it comes time to pay.

Oh well. They're chasing this Langford guy who had 20 tackles and 0 sacks last year, so I guess there's that.

This is great! Sweet even! Maybe we can draft 6 d linemen to choose our new starters from, and fill the rest of the holes on the team with players cut from everyone else's training camps!!! AWESOME!!!

At least they'll be blacked out for every home game and I won't pre-game all sunday morning instead of the honey-do list and I won't be trying to find a damn link that works, I won't be planning the journey down I-75 to go to a couple games per the usual, or taking my son this season to his first game (which was the plan), because if the team doesn't give a flying f**k to field a competitive team that gives the fans hope for a Super Bowl run then why should I give a rats ass either? I mean really? Spend my time and or money for the usual B.S. from this team year after year.

MIKE BROWN........GM of the Century..........Whether or not we think Frostee or Fanene deserved their contracts, the fact is, other teams DID. Mike Brown the moron had to have some clue he wasn't going to sign them, yet still has not made a move towards anybody to replace either. Last year, both guys played probably the biggest roles they have played in their careers, and did it well. Fact is, we lost both and will not sign anybody to replace them, but rather spend a 4th or 5th rd pick that won't cost El Cheapo sh*t.

2 days, not 1 signing........Wait until about day 7 or 8 when all that's left is garbage.

Hold onto that money Mikey Boy......let's go back to the roller coaster of 1 good year, followed by a lowsy year because you don't want to do sh*t.

Heaven forbid this team ever puts together back-to-back good seasons....

Let's see how this shakes out in the end. It's too early for me to think the ship's sinking. I liked both Rucker and Fanene as rotational players but by no means do I fault the team for not signing Rucker at 21 mil and 5 years. Hell no. I also don't blame him for leaving for that kind of money. Moving on, getting younger.

BTW, would we get a 3rd round comp pick for Rucker? Interesting.

Let's see how this shakes out in the end. It's too early for me to think the ship's sinking. I liked both Rucker and Fanene as rotational players but by no means do I fault the team for not signing Rucker at 21 mil and 5 years. Hell no. I also don't blame him for leaving for that kind of money. Moving on, getting younger.

I think compensatory picks are a cumulative thing. I envision it being they weigh the total of what you lost vs what you gain and then select picks based on the difference. I may be waaaayyyyyy off though.

Here's a warning. The next sentence will be in all Caps..........

WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT THE F*CK IS MIKE BROWN GOING TO DO TO REPLACE THE 10.5 SACKS FROM LAST YEAR THAT THOSE 2 PLAYERS BROUGHT?

*Note in those 2 players, they just lost 10.5 out of their 45 Sacks from last season....yup, a quarter of the team sacks gone with no replacement......MIKE BROWN Ladies and Gentlemen

Basically comp picks come down to 1. losing more than you sign and 2. having your guys get bigger $$$ elsewhere than you pay to replace them. And of course, those really aren't problems for the Bengals. In fact, I think TJ Jackson argued it was an active Cincy FO strategy a year or two back...

Joe Reedy ‏

RT @bzooty: @joereedy Are we allowed to be upset now?>Commence raging away, Mike Zimmer already has

Last year JJoe, now Fanene & Rucker, no significant additions in FA in sight, and people talk about WRs, Guards and RBs in the first couple rounds of the draft.

Yeah, I'll just bet Zim's a happy camper tonight.

Seriously, WTF? Neither got big coin, only about a $4 million a year average. I can understand being reluctant to dump that money into Rucker given his injury history, but there's no excuse for Fanene. Once again, the Bengals develop a guy then let him walk when it comes time to pay.

Oh well. They're chasing this Langford guy who had 20 tackles and 0 sacks last year, so I guess there's that.

Yep. Really no reason or excuse to lose Fanene. One or the other, fine, but both? Again and again, this is another perfect example of why this franchise hasn't won a playof game in over 20 years. Just like losing Joseph last year, or having Whitner sneak away at the last second.

But they have Kyle Cook locked up and Dan Skuta.

Meanwhile they're once again completely obsessed with RB's and second-tier CB's.

I think the point is that this team needed to be kept together and upgraded, not lose two key components of your d-line depth/rotation and use draft picks on them, when you could be spending those on what were real needs. That or they sign a lame duck like Langford or some other Duane Clemons type.

It's called poor management. It reeks of Mike Brown not wanting to pay either of those guys what they were worth. It is the SOS, different day/year/month.

Yea I agree they had something good going on with that d-line rotation and needed to keep it together. What they need was to help the secondary some and they could have been a pretty darn good defense. I understand why Zim would be pissed I know I am. The defense seems to be going backwards! I thought the plan was to keep there FA so now I wonder what there plan is. Wel at least they kept there kicker oh wait they didn't even sign him to a long term deal!

Langford would be a huge upgrade in the pass rushing department. I'm aware he didn't get any sack's last year... but he is still a phenomenal pass rushing DT.

Per ProFootballFocus:

Behind The Numbers: Langford’s 2011 season was marred by poor performances in run defense (-6.8), especially early in the year. Potential suitors will certainly take into account more productive seasons against the run from 2008-2010, and may be willing to look past run deficiencies for what he brings to the table as a pass rusher (+7.7). No, we’re not crazy. Yes, we do know that he didn’t notch a single sack last year. His impact came from his ability to collapse the pocket and create pressure.

Also... consider that the Bengals were considered suitors for both Mincey and Langford before FA even began. Rucker and Fanene were adequate rotational guys... but it sounds to me like the Bengals were already planning on upgrading both spots... so I'm not sure why this is coming as a shock to anyone.

But I don't want to ruin anyone's fun. Panic and overreaction during the first week of free agency is a Bengal fan's birthright.