Thug Saints About to Get Hammered by League

Fines, suspensions, loss of draft picks all on the table after a three-year-long "bounty" program rewarding Saints defenders for hurting people is exposed.

/>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7638603/new-orleans-saints-defense-had-bounty-program-nfl-says

I see the story has been updated. The first 3 paragraphs lay it all out:

NEW YORK -- New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty pool of up to $50,000 the last three seasons to reward game-ending injuries inflicted on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner, the NFL said Friday. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.

The NFL said the pool amounts reached their height in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The league said between 22 and 27 defensive players were involved in the program and that it was administered by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, with the knowledge of coach Sean Payton.

"The NFL said the pool amounts reached their height in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl."

You know what I do? Strip them of the title. Take the Lombardi back.

• 3 weeks later...

The hammer just fell -- hard:

/>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

Payton suspended for a full year.

Williams suspended "indefinitely."

Loomis suspended half the season.

Crap load of fines.

Saints lose their 2nd round picks this year and next year.

I've said in other posts, and in other places, that this was the worst kept secret in the NFL. EVERYBODY KNEW it was going on, and it took the NFL this long to do something about it. Williams was definitely guilty of this in other stops, but they weren't punished.....Quite honestly, I'm sure it goes on in other places too.

Goodell and the NFL slept on this for a while, and THE ONLY REASON they levied penalties now, and this harsh is because of the heat they've been taking lately about player saftey and all of the concussions. They did not want to face a slew of lawsuits. TRUST ME, had there not been so much clamour for Safety, Goodell would have slept on it even longer.....

I've said in other posts, and in other places, that this was the worst kept secret in the NFL. EVERYBODY KNEW it was going on, and it took the NFL this long to do something about it. Williams was definitely guilty of this in other stops, but they weren't punished.....Quite honestly, I'm sure it goes on in other places too.

Goodell and the NFL slept on this for a while, and THE ONLY REASON they levied penalties now, and this harsh is because of the heat they've been taking lately about player saftey and all of the concussions. They did not want to face a slew of lawsuits. TRUST ME, had there not been so much clamour for Safety, Goodell would have slept on it even longer.....

Ehhhh...not quite buying it, pimp. You're right that the league FO office knew it was going on -- and they repeatedly told Payton and the Saints to cut it the f**k out. And you're right that there's a legal angle here as well. And I think that does a good job of explaining the "indefinite suspension" of Williams. IMO he'll never be allowed back in.

But I think Freeman over at cbs is right, Payton has earned the rep as an arrogant prick in league circles over the last few years and GOD-El blowing his ass up is going to make a lot of people happy. Payton ought to have paid attention to what Roger did to Mike Brown after he got on his bad side.

Not surprised. All the law suites against the NFL right now they had to lay the law down.

Saints fans seem to be in complete denial and are claiming conspiracy. Thing the league is after them and trying to destroy their franchise since they are a small market team.... of course if this were to happen to the cowboys/giants/49ers/any other team they hate then the fans would be screaming bloody murder!

• 2 weeks later...

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/62434/tapes-a-knockout-blow-for-gregg-williams

Williams is done, finished, kaput. And IMO any chance the Saints and Payton had with their appeals just vanished.

Stick a fork in his NFL career. It's over.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/62434/tapes-a-knockout-blow-for-gregg-williams

Williams is done, finished, kaput. And IMO any chance the Saints and Payton had with their appeals just vanished.

Holy crap, I can't believe he said that stuff in front of cameras. I guess there is no accounting for the judgement of some folks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested to see how the union plans on protecting both sides of this story. The players accused of head-hunting and the players that were the targets. If it's all about player safety like they said during the lockout last year then it is hard to defend the Saints defensive players.

And another nuke goes off in New Orleans.

NEW ORLEANS -- The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

Sources familiar with Saints game-day operations told "Outside the Lines" that Loomis, who faces an eight-game suspension from the NFL for his role in the recent bounty scandal, had the ability to secretly listen for most of the 2002 season, his first as general manager of the Saints, and all of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The sources spoke with "Outside the Lines" under the condition of anonymity because of fear of reprisals from members of the Saints organization.

Greg Bensel, Saints vice president of communications, said Monday afternoon on behalf of the Saints and Loomis: "This is 1,000 percent false. This is 1,000 percent inaccurate."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was unaware of the allegations.