Things to look for at combine

walzav29

I think it's a good idea to give tips on what to look for at the combine. For example for running backs I hear the shuttle run time is more important than the 40 time. I'm not sure what drills to analyze for the other groups. For example we need a safety. Change of direction seems huge. Which drill show the best example?

So if you know a drill post it. We'll analyze the combine. 2.5 weeks away!

Well, if we are looking at linemen on either side, I want to know how strong they are so I do watch the bench press results. I also prefer looking at both the 3 cone drill and shuttle run as opposed to the 40 yard dash, even though I do enjoy watching the straight line speed of guys. If we are talking about explosion and quickness, the first two are more important I think. If we are looking at WR and CB, I am interested in the vertical jump and not just there speed. Janoris Jenkins is a guy I will be watching in the vertical. He has so much to make up for with his lack of height that this could help change my opinion. The broad jump, while it has its importance for the coaches, has to be my least favorite. Outside of those drills, I enjoy watching the QB's and WR's do throwing drills as well as the linemen doing their position drills.

The most important thing that will happen at the Combine will be RG3's height measurement. If he is indeed 6'2" he will be the second pick which will have major impacts to the rest of the first round. If he measures out at 5'11" or 6'0" he may drop.

I am very interested in Dre Kirkpatrick's measurables on the Bengals side would love to have Kirkpatrick and DeCastro in the first.

People put little stock into it because they rarely look past the highly talked about 40 yd dash.

However there are other drills that are very telling and have to be considered when thinking about drafting a player.

A good example is how much of a vertical does Janoris Jenkins have ?? His height is an issue for me, but if he can manage to make up for it in his leaping ability, it might calm the nerves a bit. I also bet if he does poorly, he drops from the first round.

There are more examples, but that's where i'm going with this....

RG3 has a major impact on our draft possibilities.

If he goes #2 then Tannehill will likely also go top 10, the more QBs go before the Bengals select the better prospects we have to choose from.

If we want DeCastro or Richardson we want as many high level players going as high as possible in areas that do not fit a need.

I think a great scenario would be Bush in Free Agency and Pead in the 2nd round. More and more people are talking about that guy. Combine will be huge. If he runs under a 4.5 then he may go in the 2nd round. A guy that intrigues me is LaMichael James. He is a great threat receiving out of the backfield, and Sproles has shown how vital that spot can be.

I go mainly by how far they can throw the javelin.

Don't forget the shot put

You may as well throw those things into the combine as well. I put little stock into it.

Don't forget the bubble. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it's good when you have a big one...

The combine will be big for the running back position for sure and something the Bengals are sure to be watching.

I don't think they will be looking for two of them though between FA and the draft.

I really don't know what to think about the FA's out there or the draft choices for that matter.

I like Richardson of course and Polk who I would love to see drop, but besides that I just don't know.

Hopefully the combine and some research will help that out.