Playoff scenarios/Division tie-breakers

jjakq27

Divisional front-runner Baltimore continued their run last night by winning the Harbaugh Bowl. I got to see parts of the game and both teams played lights-out defense. For all of my doubts I gotta give them credit for their three game run. They are far from perfect but are one of the top teams in the AFC right now.

In the earlier game, any hope that Miami had is probably officially gone since they lost to Dallas.

Assuming a win against the Brownies, the most likely teams to overtake the Bengals in the wildcard chase are the Jets and Chargers. I'm convinced Tebow-Ball will fall apart as suddenly as it has appeared. My fear is the Bengals pull themselves out the chase by losing to the Browns. That really puts a hole in our sails.

Divisional front-runner Baltimore continued their run last night by winning the Harbaugh Bowl. I got to see parts of the game and both teams played lights-out defense. For all of my doubts I gotta give them credit for their three game run. They are far from perfect but are one of the top teams in the AFC right now.

In the earlier game, any hope that Miami had is probably officially gone since they lost to Dallas.

All I know is I have watched the last 4 ravens games and wow are they referee assisted. 3 PI calls in the endzone against the Cardinals. Iffy calls against the bengals and steelers that drastically affected the games, and the PI call yesterday that led to points instead of an interception. They lose at least 2 of those games otherwise.

With that aside I think the Bengals have the 6th seed locked up at a minimum. If they win this week Ill be confident of that. 10 wins seals it, 11 wins 50% chance at division title, 12 wins win AFC north. 9 wins could still get wild card.

9 wins could do it as well - our contenders

Tennesee 5-5, We have tie breaker and they have NO, Houston, Buffalo,indy, jax and TB left. Not a terribly tough schedule but again, Tenn isnt very good. 4-2 at best 3-3 I think is the reality. 8-8

Denver 5-5 - Denver has tie breaker but I think SD beats them this week. Oakland should win the west but they will beat each other up out there. Denver cant keep winning either. NE, Buffalo, Chicago, SD, KC, Minn left , really cant believe they are 5-5, but Tebow will get them to 7-9 or 8-8. But t hats all. Defense has been their bright spot lately.

Buffalo 5-5 - We own tie breaker - falling fast - jets, titans, chargers, dolphins, broncos, patriots - Very tough schedule - 4 of those teams in wild card hunt plus pats and dolphins playing great football. i think 3-3 for 8-8 max, but they seem to be folding so at least beat the jets and ill be happy.

Jets 5-5 - my biggest worry - buff, wash, kc, eagles, giants, dolphins. medium to tough schedule, Miami is our friend - at best they go 4-2 - 9-7 their best record.

Browns 4-6 - need to beat them this weekend - not going deep into their schedule but the havent played the steelers or ravens yet - hopefully browns can win 1 of those 4 (for a chance they need 5-1 not going to happen)

San diego 4-6 - baltimore, detroit, oakland,buf, denver, jax (5-1 at best and i dont think they can pull that off 9-7 at best)

KC I guess 4-6 - Maybe not - they have no chance

Bengals are i the drivers seat for sure. This all can break down differently if someone gets on a run. What I see is a bunch of mediocrity. Including the Bengals.

Its time for someone to step up and take that spot. This week is very important. Bengals lose and it gets real tough.

Denver can become an issue if they win today.

As usual with the Broncos things don't look so good heading into the 2nd half.

The Chargers just have to contain Tebow in the 4th. and that's easier said than done.

Jets are the team that worries me, esp with there schedule. Plus the Jets have been to the playoffs they know what it takes to get there. With the bengals being young, and many of them not being in this before that could either be a good thing or a bad thing, guess we will see in the next couple of weeks here.

Norv Turner is a colossal f**kwit. That series of playcalls when they were 1st and 10 at the Denver 33 in OT that resulted in lost yardage and a 53-yard field goal attempt was Marvin Lewis-esque from the 2006 last game of the year against the Steelers. Turner acted like they were comfortably in range at that point. Just f**kin' awful.

And, yes, now I am worried about the Broncos. Their schedule should still cost them two more losses, but it is now weird with them.

Denver can become an issue if they win today.

Done, damnit.

SD blows goats. WTF happened to Rivers???

My fantasy team has been wondering the same thing.

My fantasy team didn't do too bad with Dalton, Benson, and the Bengals defense.

According to the announcers today all the teams currently seeded in the playoffs control their own destiny. Win and they are in.

Isn't that always the case? Those announcers weren't saying anything all that deep

I'll preface by expressing my shock that we are talking playoffs. I was ridiculed by friends during preseason for saying 8-8 was best case scenario. That being said, here goes:

Does our division record matter if we have more wins than anyone else in terms of winning the division? If the Bengals finish 11-5 and the steelers/ravens finish 10-6, we win the division, right? If all three finish with the same record, it would go Ravens-Bengals-Steelers because of tie breakers (Assuming we split with them)?

It's hard to keep straight how division record affects standings. Hopefully one of you wizened NFL gurus can clarify.

I'll preface by expressing my shock that we are talking playoffs. I was ridiculed by friends during preseason for saying 8-8 was best case scenario. That being said, here goes:

Does our division record matter if we have more wins than anyone else in terms of winning the division? If the Bengals finish 11-5 and the steelers/ravens finish 10-6, we win the division, right? If all three finish with the same record, it would go Ravens-Bengals-Steelers because of tie breakers (Assuming we split with them)?

It's hard to keep straight how division record affects standings. Hopefully one of you wizened NFL gurus can clarify.

Yes. Record is always the most important thing.

Head-to-head is the first tie breaker, followed by division record... then conference record.