What positions do we address?

walzav29

Now that we have 2 #1's what spots should we improve. I would like to see a safety picked and a LB. I still say that the D needs a vocal killer type defender. Of course there are other positions of need, but those 2 jump out. What do you think?

The only reason I'm discussing the draft instead of our Super Bowl drive is it's the bye-week.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there are other positions of need, but those 2 jump out.

Really? LB and safety are the two positions that jump out? Have you watched any games this year, Wally?

Safety in the first round I could get behind, reluctantly, but the way things are shaping up so far there's not going to be many (if any) worth a first round pick.

If they take a linebacker in the first I may have to hunt you down and slap you. Twice if it's Vontaze Burfict.

Interior offensive line is Job 1 (and 2 and 3, probably). Livings is limited, Cook is average and Bobbie is in the last year of his contract and is 172 in football years. The Bengals' picks will likely be in the mid-round range (and hopefully later) where there should be plenty of good options at OG.

Then there's RB. I don't think we'll get a shot at Richardson but we need a new bell-cow guy. Benson looks done. I could also get behind DT or a corner as a long-term replacement for JJoe. Clements is playing well so far but he can't have a lot left. One of my co-scribblers over at CJ suggested Nate might be able to move to FS and extend his career, which is an interesting option if he's willing.

Although for as many years back as I can remember I've been clamoring for Safety, I'm not sure it's such a strong need anymore because we have a lot of depth and someone will emerge.

Reggie Nelson has one brain fart a game but is otherwise really strong. Crocker is meh, but look at who's in line behind him.

Marvin has publicly drooled over Mays since he's been added to our roster. He's also been very high on Jeromy Miles, and thinks he has a future as a starter. Add the recently drafted Robert Sands to the mix... and I just don't think Safety is as glaring a need for a 1st as we have at other positions.

Besides, there aren't any game changers this year and we're going to take Mathieu in 2013 anyway

I would be pleased with a RB, CB, S, G or LB.

RB- Trent Richardson

CB- If we could get Menzie, Dre Kirkpartick, Mo Claiborne

S- I'm not sure who the top safety prospect is. If he's a playmaker then I'd be willing to take a look.

G- We need a guard. I think he have a shot to get one of the top guys. I just want a flat out mauler.

LB- I love Burflict. He's a little undisciplined to say the least, but this isn't a pressing need. If a LB is the BPA then take him though.

I think they have to go CB, OG, RB and best available LB or S. If they fill all these spots with possible starters the future looks bright. I would still like to see them bring in some veteran S help for this season, the youngsters are OK and might get better but they need help right now.

I saw someone suggest Clements move to FS if they fill the CB spot, I would love to see him try this. Remember Rod Woodson extended his carrer with a move to S and was very good at it. They seem like similar players to me, it might work.

G - Cordy Glenn, G/T, Georgia or Dave DeCastro, G, Stanford or Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State

C - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin: That Wisconsin interior line is awesome and Konz is the anchor.

RB - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama: Trent is the second coming of Adrian Peterson, fast, strong, runs to punish but has shifty moves in space.

Plenty of good CBs Claiborne from LSU, Jenkins from Florida (character concerns), Gilmore from South Carolina, Minnifield from Virginia (yes, son of THAT Minnifield).

S - George Iloka, S, Boise State and Mark Barron, S, Alabama

I also like Hightower from Alabama and Ta'amu from Washington though they fill less critical needs. Of course as always, trade down and accumulate picks if there isn't a guy available worth taking at that slot, do not reach!

Paul Brown: "you draft for need and don't let anyone tell you different"

Mike Brown: "don't pay big bucks to offensive guards or safeties."

when your need is not something that you want to draft in that slot, then something's got to give. could trade down. but my guess is that he'll reach for a CB and a RB in round 1 just because he thinks that's where you take those guys.

Mike also has to spend money at some point (mandatory minimum payroll is a bummer for him), and now has a very inexpensive quarterback. So what's the position of the free agent that he's forced to add, for payroll's sake?

Ok I'll play this game of Whack-a-Mole

I don't see why no one has mentioned the position of receiver yet. Yes I think receiver is fine this year, but I don't know if I would feel comfortable come next year. There are a lot of questions. Does Simpson get hard time? Do the Bengals decide to even keep him? Does the league suspend him for a long time even after he does hard time? Does Shipley come back healthy? When does Shipley even come back? Can Shipley even come back? I think you get the point.

WR prospects I am high on include guys like Floyd from Notre Dame, Blackmon from Oklahoma State, and Toon from Wisconsin.

As for other positions to address, drum roll please...OG! You would have to lived under a rock for the entire season not know of my dislike of Nate Livings play. His replacement needs to be addressed this year and addressed early. Yes Bobbie Williams is probably done after this year, but Clint Boling was drafted for a reason, and I hope he comes back ready to play better next year.

RB will definitely be a position of need in the draft but I don't think they should go first round with it unless a high quality guy slips. I would like them to maybe take a shot at Ball from Wisconsin, and if they can take a flier on Rainy from Florida in the mid to late rounds.

LB isn't as much a position of need depending on how Rivers comes back, they already drafted Mooch to be an eventual starter this past year, and the rest of the guys are still pretty young.

A CB in the 2nd and 3rd round would be nice so they can sit a year under Leon and Clements and maybe play some nickle downs and get some experience.

Paul Brown: "you draft for need and don't let anyone tell you different"

Mike Brown: "don't pay big bucks to offensive guards or safeties."

when your need is not something that you want to draft in that slot, then something's got to give. could trade down. but my guess is that he'll reach for a CB and a RB in round 1 just because he thinks that's where you take those guys.

I think the new rookie salary system will make it a lot easier to take positions like guard earlier in the draft, since teams won't, in fact, be paying first round picks big bucks any more. GBN Report has two OGs and a center going in the first round. Same for Walter. So given how much we need interior o-line help, it will be a good draft to have that extra pick.

I would be OK with a offensive lineman and a corner in r1. Depending on how things shake out where Oakland's pick ends up, maybe even a WR because Smokey McSimpson is probably not a long term answer.

I have concerns over Fat Andre. I have concerns over Fat Bobbie and Livings.

I have real concerns over Hall and the depth at CB.

So, in no order of preference, OT/OG - WR - CB.

Then we can bag as many good RB's and LB's along the way through r2-4.

I'd be good with any plausible position other than QB, OT, or TE. Some needs outweigh others, but I don't want them to limit themselves at all. This is an opportunity to bring in good players, not to insert puzzle pieces into a constantly impossible-to-complete puzzle.

How about Floyd and Cordy in the first round followed by Ball in the second. You put all the pieces in place for a young affective offense for years to come. Cordy takes over for Livings, Ball gives you that bruising AFC North style runningback, and Floyd pairs with Green to give you one of the scariest WR tandems in the NFL.

OR

How about LeMichael James in the first along with Cordy and Devar Posey in the second round. Once again you fulfill a young offense but you take a chance with Posey who's stock drops because of off the field problems. James does come with some injury issues, but he gives you a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.

I can't wait to see how this whole thing shakes out.

I'm going to go ahead and say no thanks to an interior lineman in the first round. They can regularly be found in the 2nd and 3rd round if you know what you're doing and this draft class has depth to it. I'd rather they give Boling a shot at left guard which is his best fit on the line and either draft a right guard AFTER round one or sign one in free agency. We were rumored to be ready to offer what's his name from Oakland a huge contract last season and if true then offer Ben Grubbs a good contract to jump from Baltimore in FA, put Boling at LG and voila, hopefully problem solved.

Likewise with safety, kinda. Now I wouldn't mind one but I hope Lewis gets over this Taylor Mays mancrush and moves on. Personally i'd like to see what I wanted to see right before week 1, bring in Brandon Mariweather. He signed a one year deal with Chicago and after trying him at FS they've benched him. Bring him in and plug him in at Strong Safety, that problem is solved.

There's three problems outa the way now what to do with those first rounders.... Well we could use another WR with better hands than Cheech Simpson, just saying. We could also use another passrusher, like Coughlin says there's no such thing as too many elite pass rushers. We NEED a SAM linebacker bad and i'm already tired of this grab UFA/MLB/CFL scrub/4.30 40 project player and plug them in experiment. Go get a REAL SLB. What do you know, there's one available in this draft likely when one of our picks come up, a fella named Manti T'eo. He is also a beastly MLB, too.

So yeah i'd go 1a: Manti T'eo/Vontaze Burfict, 1b: WR/DE-DT/CB, 2nd: CB(Janoris Jenkins has skills and is falling, trade up if you have to, it's good value)/OG/RT(Yeah it'll take more than one season for me to trust Andre), 3a: RB/OG, 3b: Whichever one I didn't draft with the first 3rd. Use 4th-7th for depth and projects. Hell i'd even use the 4th to grab another Guard, grab two huge assed cornfed midwestern farmboys, you can't go wrong.

How about Floyd and Cordy in the first round followed by Ball in the second. You put all the pieces in place for a young affective offense for years to come. Cordy takes over for Livings, Ball gives you that bruising AFC North style runningback, and Floyd pairs with Green to give you one of the scariest WR tandems in the NFL.

OR

How about LeMichael James in the first along with Cordy and Devar Posey in the second round. Once again you fulfill a young offense but you take a chance with Posey who's stock drops because of off the field problems. James does come with some injury issues, but he gives you a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.

I think Posey may drop even further than the 2nd as that was his original projection according to most scouting services. Not by much but I think he along with Herron may both fall into the 3rd/4th round. A 2nd round WR to keep your eye on is Juron Criner. A family illness he had to get checked for in the offseason along with poor coaching this season has dropped him from a first round prospect into the 2nd/3rd range.

OR

I think Posey may drop even further than the 2nd as that was his original projection according to most scouting services. Not by much but I think he along with Herron may both fall into the 3rd/4th round. A 2nd round WR to keep your eye on is Juron Criner. A family illness he had to get checked for in the offseason along with poor coaching this season has dropped him from a first round prospect into the 2nd/3rd range.

Every thing now is pure speculation because you know as well as I do that a good/bad draft combine can mean the difference in at least 2 rounds in the actual draft. Posey could go out and run a 4.4 40 and sky rocket back into the first round, who knows. I just seem to like the combination of RB, OG, and WR, just not in a certain order. Cordy seems to be one of the top OGs in the draft but not good enough to crack the top half of the first round. I did say in another draft thread I wouldn't be opposed to the Bengals trading up and getting OT Kahlil. Smith's option for next year wasn't picked up so I believe he is a restricted free agent. So OT may be a need in the offseason.

Every thing now is pure speculation because you know as well as I do that a good/bad draft combine can mean the difference in at least 2 rounds in the actual draft. Posey could go out and run a 4.4 40 and sky rocket back into the first round, who knows. I just seem to like the combination of RB, OG, and WR, just not in a certain order. Cordy seems to be one of the top OGs in the draft but not good enough to crack the top half of the first round. I did say in another draft thread I wouldn't be opposed to the Bengals trading up and getting OT Kahlil. Smith's option for next year wasn't picked up so I believe he is a restricted free agent. So OT may be a need in the offseason.

I'm not really a big fan of guards drafted in round one personally, or any line position outside of LT and Center. I WILL however say I would love to draft Riley Reiff in the first and plug him in at right tackle. I'm just not sold on Andre and it doesn't sound like the Bengals are either. Ricky Wagner in the 2nd wouldn't be a bad RT prospect either.

LaMichael James will not be a 1st round pick. I'd be willing to bet on that.

Brandon Merriweather is not a good safety. He got benched in Chicago and cut from the Pats for a reason. Zim could help him, but everything right now indicates that he hasn't been willing to buy in and play disciplined football consistently. If he can't do that in 'heaven' in New England then I don't even want to take a chance.

I think Devier will be available in the 3rd round and that would be a solid pick. I just like the fact that we have options and flexibility with these picks.

LaMichael James will not be a 1st round pick. I'd be willing to bet on that.

Brandon Merriweather is not a good safety. He got benched in Chicago and cut from the Pats for a reason. Zim could help him, but everything right now indicates that he hasn't been willing to buy in and play disciplined football consistently. If he can't do that in 'heaven' in New England then I don't even want to take a chance.

I think Devier will be available in the 3rd round and that would be a solid pick. I just like the fact that we have options and flexibility with these picks.

I'm not sure why you are so down on James. The guy looks like a Thomlinson clone. That's a guy I would love to have in this Bengal's backfield for 6-8 years.