Will Carson & TJ Be Successful in Oakland?

Sea Ray

Let's advance the discussion.

Anyone else surprised that Carson's starting this week? He gets what, 2 days of practice, and he's ready to run the offense? I think the Raiders are taking a big chance here. Even Peyton needs reps. Hue's offense may be similar to Brat's but there have to be differences in language, etc. Maybe all this shows is that the Raiders don't have much in the way of backups but I figured they give Carson the bye week to learn the offense.

Also, anyone heard any details on how his contract was restructured?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not terribly surprised he's playing already, honestly. The Raiders invested so ridiculously much in him that they're definitely going to try for some immediate returns. I even think he could play decently this Sunday if they can continue running the ball as well as they have been.

I'm glad, it definitely gives me a game to watch this week.

Too lazy to go look for link but I believe they have him making $3 million or so this year, and I saw some chatter about an extension, presumably for cap purposes.

As for the Raiders O, I was listening to the 2 stooges on espn this a.m. and Golic was talking about how the Raiders want to run the ball and use the QB strictly as a downfield "chunks" guy. So basically it'll be sandlot stuff; "go long" on every play in hopes of hitting 4-6 big passing plays. We'll see if it works.

As for the Raiders O, I was listening to the 2 stooges on espn this a.m. and Golic was talking about how the Raiders want to run the ball and use the QB strictly as a downfield "chunks" guy. So basically it'll be sandlot stuff; "go long" on every play in hopes of hitting 4-6 big passing plays. We'll see if it works.

That's pretty much what I expect, and a lot of check downs to McFadden or even Kevin Boss......I expect McFadden to have a HUGE day.

Let me the first to say that there is something a little fishy about this situation. When I heard that Carson was going to start this Sunday, less than a week with the team, I couldn't believe it. Add in the fact that the Raiders gave the farm for him, and something doesn't add up. I believe there had to be some player tampering in this trade. Mike Brown may have known about it, probably encouraged it to raise the stakes, and it probably helped make Brown look better in the end. I just find it highly improbable that the Raiders would give so much for a QB that hasn't played in over a year without first seeing what kind of shape he is in and how well he can play. Secondly I don't see them having enough faith in him to start for them in less a week without first having their playbook a few weeks in advance.

So there you have it, I believe the Raiders and Bengals have been working on this trade for a few weeks, and that some player tampering took place. This theory is given even more credence when you take into account Carson was staying only a few minutes helicopter ride from Oakland. We may never know the truth, but that is what I am inclined to believe.

That's pretty much what I expect, and a lot of check downs to McFadden or even Kevin Boss......I expect McFadden to have a HUGE day.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out since Carson's strength has never been in the short passing game. I hope this game is on TV here in Cincinnati

Anyone else surprised that Carson's starting this week? He gets what, 2 days of practice, and he's ready to run the offense? I think the Raiders are taking a big chance here. Even Peyton needs reps. Hue's offense may be similar to Brat's but there have to be differences in language, etc. Maybe all this shows is that the Raiders don't have much in the way of backups but I figured they give Carson the bye week to learn the offense.

not surprised one bit carson is starting. hue knows carson and what he is capable of. carson with one week is still better than kyle with a whole season. it's not like carson is a rookie, you put in about 10 plays out of different formation and let carson go. the main problem is going to be timing. carson and the raiders receiver's have never played together before. so there is going to be a learning curve. beside they are playing the chiefs who offense and defense rank near the very bottom of the nfl. the raiders also have a couple of decent rb's to run the ball. while carson picks up the offense.

not surprised one bit carson is starting. hue knows carson and what he is capable of. carson with one week is still better than kyle with a whole season. it's not like carson is a rookie, you put in about 10 plays out of different formation and let carson go. the main problem is going to be timing. carson and the raiders receiver's have never played together before. so there is going to be a learning curve. beside they are playing the chiefs who offense and defense rank near the very bottom of the nfl. the raiders also have a couple of decent rb's to run the ball. while carson picks up the offense.

Found this little tid bit on PFT which goes along with my thinking earlier this morning:

And it definitely doesn’t get him ready to implement Saunders’ offense (unless, of course, someone slipped Carson a copy of the playbook in anticipation of the eventual trade).

Sneaky sneaky...but like I said, with how well the Bengals made out on the deal, they aren't going to cry out player tampering.

Found this little tid bit on PFT which goes along with my thinking earlier this morning:

And it definitely doesn’t get him ready to implement Saunders’ offense (unless, of course, someone slipped Carson a copy of the playbook in anticipation of the eventual trade).

Sneaky sneaky...but like I said, with how well the Bengals made out on the deal, they aren't going to cry out player tampering.

well if you read between the lines. it is rumored that hue has been in contact with the bengals for a while though he denies it. then during the jags game adam schefter broke the news. bengals pres mike brown would trade carson at some point. maybe that's when they decided to trade him. mikey was just holding out for a better offer. of course this is all speculation on my part.

yes i think carson can be successful in oakland. the last 3 games carson seemed to flourish without the 2 dips**ts in the line up.

carson should be healed and healthy, hue knows carson well. timing and the playbook are going to be the biggest issue. once he get comfortable and get the plays down. i think he will be fine. i don't think he will ever return to his probowl form. still should be better than kyle by a long shot.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out since Carson's strength has never been in the short passing game. I hope this game is on TV here in Cincinnati

True, although he never really had a RB who could catch. He had Chris Perry that one healthy year and he caught over 50 passes, Kenny Watson also caught 52 passes back in '07, but they only went for 374 yards. Guys like Rudi Johnson and Cedric benson were basically useless as receivers......McFadden is the real deal and can take a screen pass 60 yards.....I think Carson's first game will have both good and bad, I can see miscommunication on routes and the timing being off on some passes, but I also think he'll air it out to a speedster like Hayward-Bey a few times, and at the end of the day, giving the raider fans out there hope.....With the Bengals off this week, That's probably the game that interests me the most.

The Raiders are a solid 4-2 with talent and Hue is doing a heck of a job there.

True, although he never really had a RB who could catch. He had Chris Perry that one healthy year and he caught over 50 passes, Kenny Watson also caught 52 passes back in '07, but they only went for 374 yards. Guys like Rudi Johnson and Cedric benson were basically useless as receivers......McFadden is the real deal and can take a screen pass 60 yards.....I think Carson's first game will have both good and bad, I can see miscommunication on routes and the timing being off on some passes, but I also think he'll air it out to a speedster like Hayward-Bey a few times, and at the end of the day, giving the raider fans out there hope.....With the Bengals off this week, That's probably the game that interests me the most.

Now I see things differently. I always thought Carson had problems throwing the swing pass or short touch passes. He just couldn't hit the guys in stride where they could keep full speed. He also seemed to hang guys out to dry a lot with high passes.

Now I always thought this was an unusual problem for Carson because the last two home games I saw him play in, when warm-ups ended and the team was going into the locker room, he would pick up a ball the kickers had been using and from about 40 yards away loft it up and hit the backside of the cross bar on the field goal post. Seriously true story. I couldn't believe it.

You're right, all Carson's shortcomings were due to the people around him. Looking forward to your list of deficiencies on the Oakland roster that will result in Carson being, well, Carson. IE pick sixes, random overthrows of open receivers, and leadership qualities of a nice warm muffin.

You're right, all Carson's shortcomings were due to the people around him. Looking forward to your list of deficiencies on the Oakland roster that will result in Carson being, well, Carson. IE pick sixes, random overthrows of open receivers, and leadership qualities of a nice warm muffin.

If Carson had problems with Chad running poor routes, imagine his blow ups when Heyward-bey runs the wrong routes and drops repeated long TD passes. Just the thought of this makes me want to watch the game.

:lmao:

So I skip a couple of days and upon my return I see the mega-Palmer thread has not only been closed down, but burned down. And as I understand it there may have been fatalities to boot.

What a pity.

Perhaps some of you might do well to copy my habit of blowing off steam with the occasional experimental thread. Granted, too often there's poop to clean up later, but no blood.

No Carson Sunday.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/21/carson-palmer-may-not-start-after-all/

Carson's a gamer!

“I’m 95 percent sure he is not going to play,” a source “close to the situation” told Schefter. “Practicing Wednesday and Thursday, he felt he’s not ready to make those high-velocity throws yet.”

I think Carson has a real good chance of playing well in Oakland. He is not the elite QB he once was, but he is still better than half the starters in the league. I'm sure when the season is over he will end up in the top half of the league in yards/game, he will also throw his fair share of TD's. The problem for him will probably still be the really dumb throws he makes 3-4 times a game, that usually end in at best a pick and sometimes a pick 6.

I have no problem with him having success in Oakland, finally he is gone and eveybody can quit talking about a former player that quit on a talented young group of players.

Good Luck Palmer and dont come back!

Seems like everybody here has a gudge against Carson I take it!

No grudge. At this point I want to thank him for his 'power play'. He netted a First and a Second round pick for the Bengals. Allowed a much more determined and likeable player to fill his role.

Now out of drafting greed, I hope Palmer plays just the same as he did here when we started 0-8 so the first half of those draft picks are a top 10 pick.

Now he has a valid excuse on why he wont play well. Not enough time to learn the Oak system. Lets see how long Oak fans think thats a valid excuse.

Let the Carson Palmer era begin in Oakland.....pick 6 by Brandon Flowers to seal a KC win! Have fun in Oakland...keep throwin those pucks!

Well hell. I guess that 2nd round pick isn't going into roll into a 1st. :lol: