Leon Extended!

jonahdsage

Per Reedy:

Leon Hall has re-signed with #bengals. Four years, $39 million

Excited to keep him in the fold. Durable, consistent, and wants to be here. I think he's a top corner in the league — maybe not top 5, but certainly top 10. I think this is huge and kudos to the front office for getting it done. A pretty solid, and even shocking, performance by the suits the last two weeks:

trade for jennings

trade for mays

extend whit

extend leon

Who dey?!

Some details via Walker @ espn:

The Cincinnati Bengals have signed cornerback Leon Hall to a four-year, $39 million extension that includes $14.1 million this season and will tie him to the franchise through the 2015 season, according to sources.

Hall had his base salary this season increased to $5.1 million from $3 million. He received a $9 million signing bonus.

And he is expected to receive another $5 million roster bonus March 1.

So that would put his salary cap hit in the $7 million range this year. Between him and Whit, that probably knocks the team's cap space down to around $22 million.

Per Reedy:

Leon Hall has re-signed with #bengals. Four years, $39 million

To me that's crazy stuff, but I won't complain much....mostly because Hall is a good player. And at times he's a very good player. But no, I wouldn't have. Not at that price.

Here's some more info from Reedy:

Since being drafted in the first round in 2007, Hall has played in every game (65 including postseason) in his Bengals career, which is the team’s current longest streak of having played every game in a career. He has started the last 57 games at right corner.

In four seasons, Hall has led team in interceptions three times and tied for team lead once. He was tied for fifth in the AFC in interceptions last year with five. For his career,he leads the team in interceptions (18, which is sixth on the team’s all-time list) and passes defensed (85).

Dude hasn't missed a snap and has played at a high level every year. How can you not like this signing?

Dude hasn't missed a snap and has played at a high level every year. How can you not like this signing?

I said I wasn't going to complain, and I thought I made it very clear what my reservations were.

I wanted Hall extended but not at any price. In fact, when it was suggested that this was a "must do" regardless of cost I strongly disagreed. And I still do.

Mostly, my feelings have less to do with Leon Hall himself and everything to do with my belief that no CB is worth that kind of money. At least not as long as so many defenses are able to thrive with 2nd and 3rd tier players like Ike Taylor manning the corner.

I lie it. It just shows that good players are willing to play here.

They could easily wait and get more money on the open market - or a more guaranteed chance of winning.

:cheers: So we aren't Siberia?

Makes me want to get A whit or Hall jersey. That second contract means a bit of loyalty to team and fans.

Leon may have just answered my jersey conundrum! :cheers:

I lie it. It just shows that good players are willing to play here.

Yeah, I think that had to be a consideration. Between Carson quitting, JJoe jumping ship and the Donte Whitner affair (not to mention our arrest-prone duo of Pacman and Benson), the perception that Cincy was only for players with no other choices was stronger than ever. Having two players of Whitworth and Hall's caliber re-up goes a long way toward countering that.

Reedy just said on the radio that the Bengals targeted Hall from the beginning as the corner to re-up. He said with some other guys on the D they wanted to do long term deals with, he cited Rey, Michael Johnson, and Carlos Dunlap, that the Bengals felt they could only keep one of the corners, so if JJoe got a really high offer they would not match it.

Reedy also refuted the interviewer's assertion that the Bengals let the better corner walk. He said the team likes Hall's durability and better hands.

Reedy just said on the radio that the Bengals targeted Hall from the beginning as the corner to re-up. He said with some other guys on the D they wanted to do long term deals with, he cited Rey, Michael Johnson, and Carlos Dunlap.

Yes. Those are the next guys I want... in that order.

I'm a little surprised they are considering giving Dunlap a new deal already though. He's only in his 2nd season.

It sounds like the Bengals are taking the same approach as the Indians of the 90's. They are giving contract extensions to the young guys before they outplay their contracts in order to lock them up for longer contracts and make the players happy at the same time. It worked for awhile for the Indians, as they were Division champs and World Series contenders for quite a few years.

It sounds like the Bengals are taking the same approach as the Indians of the 90's. They are giving contract extensions to the young guys before they outplay their contracts in order to lock them up for longer contracts and make the players happy at the same time. It worked for awhile for the Indians, as they were Division champs and World Series contenders for quite a few years.

Ahhh, I remember those Indians teams. Kenny Lofton, Carlos Baerga, etc. Effin' Marlins and their buy a championship strategy can go suck a ****.