Andy Dalton on the Dan Patrick show scheduled for 11:33 am or so today

membengal

DP started off:

---asking about the Suh hit, Dalton said no big deal. DP persisted, trying to get Dalton say it was dirty, Dalton wouldn't say it was.

---asked if had called Palmer. Dalton confirmed he has not.

---asked about Green. Dalton said he is "really good".

---asked if this was a running team, Dalton said they had the ability to both run and pass.

And...that was about it. Short interview.

First time really hearing Dalton...he answers questions well and deflects attempts to be controversial like a pro already. Kinda impressed.

DP started off:

---asking about the Suh hit, Dalton said no big deal. DP persisted, trying to get Dalton say it was dirty, Dalton wouldn't say it was.

---asked if this was a running team, Dalton said they had the ability to both run and pass.

First time really hearing Dalton...he answers questions well and deflects attempts to be controversial like a pro already. Kinda impressed.

Why in the world would Dalton want to call Palmer?

DP started off:

Maybe he wanted to learn how to take a knee, when the Defense jumps across the line to get the automatic yardage. You know instead of like every other QB in the league using it as a throw away, high risk high reward type play.

Or maybe he could just call him and thank him for quitting and leaving Dalton with all these young weapons in the passing game.

DP started off:

Maybe he wanted to learn how to take a knee, when the Defense jumps across the line to get the automatic yardage. You know instead of like every other QB in the league using it as a throw away, high risk high reward type play.

How many times do we have to go through this. He kneeled because there is no play called. The whole offense would get hurt if they continued the play. Geeze

Joking aside - That was a Brat thing. I never want to see it again. It was just another Bengals headscratcher.

I wonder if Dalton has asked Marvin or Mike on why Palmer is doing what he is doing? PAlmer cred has to be low in that locker room.

I wonder if Dalton has asked Marvin or Mike on why Palmer is doing what he is doing? PAlmer cred has to be low in that locker room.

Speaking of Palmer and Dalton, did you know that Dalton will never be as close to as good a QB as Carson? I never wanted to believe that, but but now that Caleb Miller has weighed in with his expert opinion I realize I must be wrong. :lol:

Speaking of Palmer and Dalton, did you know that Dalton will never be as close to as good a QB as Carson? I never wanted to believe that, but but now that Caleb Miller has weighed in with his expert opinion I realize I must be wrong. :lol:

Caleb must have been watching a different game than I did. Newton looked miles away from NFL ready and Dalton looked ready to be serviceable this season. Newton does have the potential to be better than Dalton long term, but I doubt very much that will be the case for at least a couple of seasons.

Yep because Caleb knows best LOL :blink:

Yep because Caleb knows best LOL :blink:

Caleb was a special teams ace...much better than that Reggie guy.

Which Palmer was he supposed to call? Because I can very easily imagine a scenario where Andy Dalton calls Jordan Palmer to thank him for the fish and whatever help and advice Jordan may have passed along.

As for the other Palmer? I can't imagine any scenario where Andy Dalton makes a call like that.

I can't believe I'm defending Palmer right now... but that wasn't a Palmer thing. It was a Brat thing. And it wasn't something that Palmer controlled, it was something the Center controlled.

When someone came into the neutral zone, the Center would snap the ball. That's why when the ball was snapped, none of the other O-Linemen would move. Because the ball got snapped early... and since no one was running the play (because the ball was snapped earlier than anticipated), Palmer would just kneel rather than attempt to run an unorganized and broken play.

There. All done defending Palmer. He's a douche.

Clark Judge likes him some Andy Dalton.

There were six quarterbacks taken with the first 36 picks of this year's draft, including Cam Newton at No. 1, and I can see all but maybe one starting at some point this season. What I can't see is all but maybe one having immediate success, and I'll tell you whom I like there.

It's not Newton, and it's not Jake Locker, the first two quarterbacks off the board. It's Cincinnati's Andy Dalton, and I'll tell you why: Because he will start from Day 1, he has a decent supporting cast and he looks as if he played the position -- no coincidence since scouts believed he and Florida State's Christian Ponder were the most ready to step into an NFL huddle.

Now, let's make something clear: None of these guys are ready to step into an NFL huddle after six weeks of practice, and Ponder won't. He'll sit behind Donovan McNabb and wait his turn. But Dalton plays now, and while there will be the usual shortcomings associated with a baptism by fire, the early signs are encouraging.

I go back to that preseason face-off last week vs. Carolina and Newton, where Dalton won by a TKO. He was poised, confident and accurate in the pocket -- everything Newton was not as he and the Panthers self-destructed.

More at the link. Bottom line, he doesn't think that in the end the Bengals will be very good this season, but Dalton will benefit from starting in the long run. I can't argue much with that.

Caleb is not very high on Dalton. Another guy says he doesn't have the arm to be a star. That's why he was drafted in the 2nd round. No quarterback in NFL history was good who wasn't drafted in the 1st round.

Not so sure about that blanket statement. Drew Brees was the first pick of the 2nd round in 2001 but a second rounder regardless. Matt Schaub was a third rounder for Atlanta. Going back to the stone ages, there are stories of guys getting cut by Paul Brown (Len Dawson) that did pretty well in their career. Johnny Unitas was a ninth round pick of the Steelers and got cut before going to Baltimore.

The counter argument is also to look at all of the first round busts at QB. Nothing is guaranteed by getting drafted in the first round and it's even more so when talking about QB's. David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf and A. Smith come to mind.

Caleb may have his reasons for downgrading Dalton but I think he has the potential to be really good and seems to have the fire the Carson lacked. I am content to watch him grow and mature and take my chances with him for now.

Caleb is not very high on Dalton. Another guy says he doesn't have the arm to be a star. That's why he was drafted in the 2nd round. No quarterback in NFL history was good who wasn't drafted in the 1st round.

Not so sure about that blanket statement. Drew Brees was the first pick of the 2nd round in 2001 but a second rounder regardless. Matt Schaub was a third rounder for Atlanta. Going back to the stone ages, there are stories of guys getting cut by Paul Brown (Len Dawson) that did pretty well in their career. Johnny Unitas was a ninth round pick of the Steelers and got cut before going to Baltimore.

The counter argument is also to look at all of the first round busts at QB. Nothing is guaranteed by getting drafted in the first round and it's even more so when talking about QB's. David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf and A. Smith come to mind.

Caleb may have his reasons for downgrading Dalton but I think he has the potential to be really good and seems to have the fire the Carson lacked. I am content to watch him grow and mature and take my chances with him for now.

Think he was being sarcastic with the last sentence.

But who is this Caleb guy? Why is he rating QB's? Backup linebacker and special teams guy...right?

I believe Jon Gruden and other professional talent evaluators over Caleb Miller.

Im struggling to understand why Caleb Miller is talking and why anyone is listening.

But who is this Caleb guy? Why is he rating QB's? Backup linebacker and special teams guy...right?

I believe Jon Gruden and other professional talent evaluators over Caleb Miller.

Im struggling to understand why Caleb Miller is talking and why anyone is listening.

Unfortunately, and solely as an example of how weak the LB corps. was at the time, no - he did start for the Bengals. Relatively light, fast LB that hit like a feather.