How classic would this be?

kingwilly

Would they do it? Would SoP take Pryor in the supplemental draft?

Pryor is Cam Newton on a crappier team. He'll sit first 5 games... so, he can "learn" Gruden's system.

What is he worth? Giving up next years r2 pick?

I think he has a better rm and is more mobile than Dalton. Is he smarter than Dalton? Can he learn the plays and get the ball to Green/Simpson/Shipley/Gresh? Probably.

Good god. They might just go and take the guy.

The redeemer at work. Mike Brown's Home for Wayward Manchildren still operates.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would they do it? Would SoP take Pryor in the supplemental draft?

Pryor is Cam Newton on a crappier team. He'll sit first 5 games... so, he can "learn" Gruden's system.

What is he worth? Giving up next years r2 pick?

I think he has a better rm and is more mobile than Dalton. Is he smarter than Dalton? Can he learn the plays and get the ball to Green/Simpson/Shipley/Gresh? Probably.

Good god. They might just go and take the guy.

The redeemer at work. Mike Brown's Home for Wayward Manchildren still operates.

Willy, sell me some of what you're smoking. Pryor is no where close to Newton. Even mentioning his name in the same sentence is an abomination!

Well considering wasting a pick on Pryor would be one of the all time dumbest moves Brown has ever done, so it wouldn't surprise me. Pryor is a f'n joke. Somebody will waste 6th or 7th rounder on him, and he'll be out of the nfl in 2 years. If he's lucky.

I wouldn't mind it for a late round pick. He'd be a great excuse to get rid of Jordan Palmer, as an emergency quarterback and potentially a weapon at some other position or on gadgets.

Could he play the Brad Smith role here? Maybe.

Could he be better, with more upside than Run-Pee, probably.

Would it be nice to have another young QB in case Dalton gets mangled? definitely.

...and here he is working with Ken Anderson:

espn_g_pryort_300.jpg

I wouldn't mind it for a late round pick. He'd be a great excuse to get rid of Jordan Palmer, as an emergency quarterback and potentially a weapon at some other position or on gadgets.

Could he play the Brad Smith role here? Maybe.

Could he be better, with more upside than Run-Pee, probably.

Would it be nice to have another young QB in case Dalton gets mangled? definitely.

...and here he is working with Ken Anderson:

espn_g_pryort_300.jpg

Yeah... I've been thinking about that. Jury's still out on the new offense, but if the dink-n-dunk isn't cutting it and the running game is getting stuffed, it'd sure be nice to have a stable of gadgets to get things kick-started. Maybe Pryor could give them that?

Personally, i don'tthink Pryor has what it takes to be an NFL QB.....and he is NOWHERE NEAR Cam Newton.

I wouldn't give up a draft pick (any Round) for him in the Supplemental Draft......but then again, with the Bengals so often wasting late Rd picks on WR's who they know have no shot at making the roster (see Dez Briscoe, Ryan Whalen) eh, why not?

Also, if they did take Pryor, and by some miracle he actually does make the team, unfortunately it won't be Jordan who is let go....It will be Dan "I've Got" LeFevour

Normally I would say, why not, in regards to using a late round pick.

However, in this situation I don't think it would be the wise move to make for a few reasons.

Pryor is no Cam Newton. Is he athletically gifted ?? Sure, but he's immature, makes poor decisions on and off the field, and puts more pressure on Dalton than I think would be necessary. I could see the first time Dalton throws a pick in a regular season game, everyone calling for his head. I think the move would put even more pressure on the Bengals organization as well.

I think baby steps in regard to this rebuild would be prudent and this is not the kind of "person" they need to be bringing in.

I say good luck to him wherever he goes, but no thank you.

I watched almost all of Pryor's games at OSU. He is not an accurate passer. He wasn't even first team all Big Ten, all three seasons he was honorable mention all big ten.

Troy Smith was much more accurate, and even he isn't accurate enough for the NFL. Pryor's passing just isn't even close. I think they'll convert him to some type of hybrid receiver/wildcat thing and good luck to him.

Pretty funny Goodell suspending him for five games. I'm trying to figure out which NFL rule Pryor broke. Maybe it's the rule that says don't mess with a system that provides the NFL with an incredibly well-funded, very effective farm system. At no cost to the NFL.

I could see the first time Dalton throws a pick in a regular season game, everyone calling for his head. I think the move would put even more pressure on the Bengals organization as well.

I think baby steps in regard to this rebuild would be prudent and this is not the kind of "person" they need to be bringing in.

I say good luck to him wherever he goes, but no thank you.

This. I still have nightmares about '02's three-headed hydra of Kitna, Frerotte and Smith. The last thing the Bengals need to do now is reprise that with Dalton, Gradkowski and Pryor.

I watched almost all of Pryor's games at OSU. He is not an accurate passer. He wasn't even first team all Big Ten, all three seasons he was honorable mention all big ten.

Troy Smith was much more accurate, and even he isn't accurate enough for the NFL. Pryor's passing just isn't even close. I think they'll convert him to some type of hybrid receiver/wildcat thing and good luck to him.

Pretty funny Goodell suspending him for five games. I'm trying to figure out which NFL rule Pryor broke. Maybe it's the rule that says don't mess with a system that provides the NFL with an incredibly well-funded, very effective farm system. At no cost to the NFL.

I agree and I'll be more specific. Most of Pryor's big gains in the passing game consisted of him throwing the ball up for grabs and more often than not his receiver was more gifted athletically than the DB covering him from Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Youngstown St and even Michigan. Very little of his game translates to the NFL.He should be a 6th or 7th rd pick but I'm very curious to see if some NFL team will overpay for him. Let's hope it's not our team

Adam Schefter listed us as a team interested in Pryor along with Dallas, Buffalo, Oakland, Miami and Indy.

I'm fine with Pryor... just not at QB. He's a great athlete, so if they think they can use him in certain gimmicky packages, I don't care.

But if Pryor ever becomes the Bengals starting QB, I'm done. Not joking. We all have our limits.

Adam Schefter listed us as a team interested in Pryor along with Dallas, Buffalo, Oakland, Miami and Indy.

I'm fine with Pryor... just not at QB. He's a great athlete, so if they think they can use him in certain gimmicky packages, I don't care.

But if Pryor ever becomes the Bengals starting QB, I'm done. Not joking. We all have our limits.

Why wait until then. You should go and be done. Not joking. Really. Go. Get lost. I'm waiting. Go. I'm still waiting.

No, he didn't. At least not directly. When asked about the interest level in Pryor across the NFL Schefter mentioned a few teams thought to be specifically interested in Pryor and then mentioned several teams who might be interested, including the Bengals, simply because it's well known those teams are actively looking to upgrade their 3rd QB position.

6TH RND PICK that would be better used for trading for Mays.

I'm still interested in Mays especially if the cost were right, but one thing about his current situation bothers me a little, and it isn't related to how quickly ther 49'ers might be giving up on him. After all, the head coach who drafted Mays lost his mind and shortly thereafter his job....taking with him the DC who felt Mays was a fit in a scheme the 49'ers no longer run. All things considered I think those things say more about the 49'ers than Taylor Mays.

My concern relates to May's recent claim that he spent the offseason bulking up. Specifically, Mays claims since last season ended he's added 6 pounds of muscle to his already tweenerish frame, and depending on which numbers are believed now tips the scales somewhere between 230 and 236 pounds. There's even talk on 49er boards about Mays being shifted into Manny Lawson's now vacated OLB role if he can't be traded.

6TH RND PICK that would be better used for trading for Mays.

I'm still interested in Mays especially if the cost were right, but one thing about his current situation bothers me a little, and it isn't related to how quickly ther 49'ers might be giving up on him. After all, the head coach who drafted Mays lost his mind and shortly thereafter his job....taking with him the DC who felt Mays was a fit in a scheme the 49'ers no longer run. All things considered I think those things say more about the 49'ers than Taylor Mays.

My concern relates to May's recent claim that he spent the offseason bulking up. Specifically, Mays claims since last season ended he's added 6 pounds of muscle to his already tweenerish frame, and depending on which numbers are believed now tips the scales somewhere between 230 and 236 pounds. There's even talk on 49er boards about Mays being shifted into Manny Lawson's now vacated OLB role if he can't be traded.

I would also like the Bengals to pursue some interest in Mays. Despite being in SF, however, I have heard absolutely nothing about his play last season. The fact that I intentionally tune-out 9'ers news has, no doubt, more to do with that than any opinion I have about his play. I just haven't heard much buzz about him good or bad. It could be that he's taking some time to get up to NFL speed, don't know. I also wanted him to fall to the Bengals and was pissed when SF took him a few slots up, so I'd definitely be interested in the Bengals making a play for him if he hasn't completely busted. Obviously, if he's weighing in at 230 he would not seem to fit Marvin's stated goal of having safeties that can play both spots, but I've always considered that to be more coach-speak than a deep commitment anyway.

Despite being in SF, however, I have heard absolutely nothing about his play last season. The fact that I intentionally tune-out 9'ers news has, no doubt, more to do with that than any opinion I have about his play. I just haven't heard much buzz about him good or bad.

Put on tape of last seasons 49er game against Atlanta and IMHO you'll see Taylor Mays playing the safety position looking very much like some unholy combo of Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. A guy who dominates from start to finish and in all phases of the game. But put on tape of him playing against anybody else and he mostly looks like a more expensive version of Ndukwe.

Frankly, I haven't a clue why Mays has struggled with the 49ers but anyone who watched him play against the Falcons last year caught a glimpse of Mays repeatedly doing what so many of his critics claim he can't do. So the question that needs answering is why can't he do it consistently.

Why wait until then. You should go and be done. Not joking. Really. Go. Get lost. I'm waiting. Go. I'm still waiting.

Why wait? Because it will never happen. It's called an impossible hypothetical.

Pryor is not an NFL QB and has done nothing to warrant a discussion of him challenging Dalton for playing time. So, there's no need to get all s**tty about it.

Dick.

Pryor is no Cam Newton. Is he athletically gifted ?? Sure, but he's immature, makes poor decisions on and off the field

Wait, I thought you were making a case that he *isn't* Cam Newton.

Exactly.

In fact, now that I add it up, I am actually warming to the idea of making a move for Pryor. Maybe an r4 supp draft pick.

Guy can do several things, whats the issue. All they really want him to do is get into the organization, learn how to be a pro, and learn a west coast system loaded on O with Green, Ship, Benson, Gresham, Simpson, Scaife and Caldwell. What a bummer.

At a minimum, at least he can step up and make gains with his legs, rather than be Raggety Andy'd like Dalton was by Suh. If Pryor can add that extra threat, then the O gains the advantage of a further mismatch, since a D would need to spy him with someone, meaning a greater ratio of man coverage, the likes of which Green, Gresham and Shipley can routinely humiliate. Add to that, giving Benson the luxury of having a safety need to maintain leverage (rather than cheat down) for fear of Pryor keeping it or simply play action draws on audible.

I am actually talking myself into this pretty easily.