5th Round: Robert Sands, S, West Virginia

ArmyBengal

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Gasp!)

The Bengals finally answer my oft-ignored plea for safety help...and then within a minute draft noodnik Todd McShay is heard saying the words "hair on fire".

Granted, he was talking about a different player, but that's just details.

I tell ya' it's a sign from above.

Or maybe it's a sign from eight inches to the left.

All I know is I'm scared.

Good-size S who ran the 3rd best 40 amoung safeties, 2-time All Big East, so he has shown consistancy as well as played vs. good competition....whats not to like with this pick in the 5th round? I am very happy thus far!

Smoothest Bengals draft in years?

It would appear. Decent consensus on the picks and the place they were taken.

Similar to last year really. I don't know if Brown has finally given up some of his influence in the draft day room, but I DO like that the last two years have consisted of a lot of "smart, good work ethic" guys. (i.e. non-Mike Brown guys)

Gresham/Shipley/Dalton/Boling/Sands all fit that description. Not really worried about Boling's down-graded DUI based on the rest of his character plusses.

6'4 221 pounds wow he is tall

There it is. Maybe.

The very reason I preferred other safeties over Sands is I worry he's too tall. I kept hearing the words "If you're high they're by" in my head.

That said, I'm not complaining.

Hair - your point is valid, that height certainly could affect his hip-rotation, however, he is a big-hitter with great speed (3rd best 40 among safeties), I think Zimmer sees him more as an enforcer than a cover man and with that height/length it will only help him to track down and reach ball carries on the edge. For a 5th round pick, it looks pretty good too me. However, I'm just some dude on a message board and I understand your point...

(Gasp!)

The Bengals finally answer my oft-ignored plea for safety help...and then within a minute draft noodnik Todd McShay is heard saying the words "hair on fire".

Granted, he was talking about a different player, but that's just details.

I tell ya' it's a sign from above.

We're overdue for one, that I know.

Smoothest Bengals draft in years?

It would appear. Decent consensus on the picks and the place they were taken.

Similar to last year really. I don't know if Brown has finally given up some of his influence in the draft day room, but I DO like that the last two years have consisted of a lot of "smart, good work ethic" guys. (i.e. non-Mike Brown guys)

Gresham/Shipley/Dalton/Boling/Sands all fit that description. Not really worried about Boling's down-graded DUI based on the rest of his character plusses.

But even last year a LOT of complaining over Gresham and Shipley, at the least, albeit less complaining than in previous years. But this year may be a record for this board for general satisfaction with the drift of the draft and the players taken.

There it is. Maybe.

The very reason I preferred other safeties over Sands is I worry he's too tall. I kept hearing the words "If you're high they're by" in my head.

Well a 6'2 220 Cornerback went 5th overall so not too worried about 5th round Safety...I still think we'll resign Roy Williams...But the guy seems like a solid player to develop...

6'4 221 pounds wow he is tall

There it is. Maybe.

Hair - your point is valid, that height certainly could affect his hip-rotation, however, he is a big-hitter with great speed (3rd best 40 among safeties), I think Zimmer sees him more as an enforcer than a cover man and with that height/length it will only help him to track down and reach ball carries on the edge. For a 5th round pick, it looks pretty good too me. However, I'm just some dude on a message board and I understand your point...

I'll happily defer to anyone who knows Sands better than I do, and I freely admit that's got to be almost everyone. Nutshelled, I have a bit of a blindspot when it comes to Sands so all I can do is note my concern and see what others think.

I like the fact that he's known as a hitter . We need more of that. All 5th rd guys will have some "issue". This, like Moch earlier is the type of pick I like to see on day three

Well again, I was more in favor of McDaniel, but again won't complain.

I'm not well versed on them as I'd like to be, but I saw McDaniel play and he was INTENSE.

I just liked his attitude and thought he would present good value again.

I think he's still on the board.

I do too. I'd be happy as s**t to get them both.