NFL CBA thread-merged

HoosierCat

Well, this might speed things up a bit.

Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Judge David Doty has ruled that the NFL violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement by striking deals with television networks that require ongoing payments to the league during a work stoppage.

Judge Doty has ordered another hearing to determine whether the players’ remedy will be financial damages or an injunction preventing the league from pocketing the money during a lockout.

The ruling comes the night before a full day of mediation in Washington, D.C., little more than two days before the expiration of the current labor deal. Though the league surely will balk at the ruling and vow to appeal the decision to a higher court, the possible inability of men like Jerry Jones to pay the mortgage on places like the Jerry Dome suddenly makes it much harder for the league to withstand a lockout.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/01/judge-doty-sides-with-players-in-lockout-insurance-cas/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO.

Surely the clause wherein the networks agreed to pay 4 billion dollars to the owners during a lockout season in which no programming was delivered in exchange for the 4 billion dollars cost something. Probably a lot.

So the owners traded revenue, which the players would have shared, for a right to receive money the players won't share. Let's start figuring out the damages!

The insurance policy was for 4 billion. That means 125 million per team, pure profit due to no player or coaches salaries.

The owners can say this doesn't matter to them, but I've read that this payment in lockout years was an absolute must in every contract they negotiated with every television network. They were counting on it, and losing it is huge.

I still think something will get done and I think it will be sooner rather than later.

Anyone see the report that they are now saying if something doesn't get done until after the draft, both the owners and draftees would have the right to question the validity of the draft ?? I didn't get the specifics, but I was listening to it on NFL network while on the computer. That sounds like a mess...

Over at Yahoo Sports, Nate Silver paints a far more optimistic picture then we've seen for a while. The two sides apparently quit spitting at each other and finally started talking yesterday, and the outlines of a deal are coming together. Could still all fall apart but...

Even though the situation remained precarious at the end of business Thursday, the two sides had begun to shape the basic structure of a new CBA. Not surprisingly, it would resemble the type of agreement we suggested at the end of our fan’s guide to the labor situation last summer.

The owners would indeed get more money off the top before splitting “adjusted gross revenues” with the players – more than the $1 billion they received annually under the current deal, but less than the $2 billion they’d been demanding until recently. In simplistic terms, the owners would achieve an agreement they believe is roughly equivalent to the one that was on the table in 2006 before, they feel, Upshaw took advantage of outgoing commissioner Paul Tagliabue’s desire for labor peace at any cost and skewed the deal toward the union’s interests.

In this case, the hit to the players would be somewhat mitigated by an increase in revenue driven by the move to an 18-game regular season. The addition of two games (and elimination of two preseason games) might not be immediate, and the players would receive concessions such as limitations to offseason workouts and training camp practices and a new formula allowing them to qualify for certain benefits with fewer seasons played than in the past. However, in the end, the union is likely to capitulate and agree to the “enhanced” season in exchange for other considerations – again, something that was predicted many months ago.

In all probability, there will also be a rookie wage scale that increases revenues while playing to the popular sentiment among fans that the guaranteed money received by top draft picks is exorbitant when compared to the salaries of accomplished veterans.

The owners will be granted their longstanding request to have Doty removed as the arbiter of all CBA disputes, and there will likely be a provision extending player health care benefits in the event of a future lockout.

A new CBA would feature many other intricacies, of course, and there would be plenty of wrangling to come if Friday’s push for another short-term extension comes to fruition. However, if such an announcement is made, both sides would view that as an almost ironclad statement that a deal is forthcoming – and a work stoppage will have been averted.

If we end up having no season this year, will the draft be omitted as well? If that happens and we still get to pick at four next season, we might have a better opportunity at QB. Luck will come out of college along with a few others! I hate the fact that we won’t see NFL this season, but there is always college football. Those kids play for pride and have heart. Not for the money!

Everything I've heard is that the draft will be held regardless of the labor situation. But if there no agreement, teams will not be able to hold rookie minicamps or have further contact with the player until the CBA is done. And I don't think teams are allowed to contact undrafted FA's either.

So if we have the draft, and no season does that mean we draft at # 4 again next season?

I'm sure they haven't planned on such an event so there is no definite answer. But we're just fans and we can dream up almost anything. I don't think anyone is of the opinion that the entire season will be cancelled but my guess is if it is then yes, the draft order would resort to 2011.

So if we have the draft, and no season does that mean we draft at # 4 again next season?

I'm sure they haven't planned on such an event so there is no definite answer. But we're just fans and we can dream up almost anything. I don't think anyone is of the opinion that the entire season will be cancelled but my guess is if it is then yes, the draft order would resort to 2011.

I wouldn't imagine teams would draft another 7 players that they need to sign on top of the other 7 players they need to sign. That would be a significant portion of the roster. I think you're right that there will be some type of agreement at least before April 2012. I just couldn't see them doing a draft if there was no season preceding it.

I wouldn't imagine teams would draft another 7 players that they need to sign on top of the other 7 players they need to sign. That would be a significant portion of the roster. I think you're right that there will be some type of agreement at least before April 2012. I just couldn't see them doing a draft if there was no season preceding it.

I see your point but what happens to the guys that are seniors or come out early after the 2011 collegiate season? Hopefully they will get this BS wrapped up soon.

Your post makes a great point of how much the players have to lose. The careers are so short. If they by 2012 they will have another 14 draftees to compete with for roster spots.

It appears that they have come to some type of understanding on a rookie wage scale.

/>http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rookie-wage-scale-league-union-agree-report-030811

The NFL wanted first-round picks to sign five-year deals in order to become free agents, but relented, according to the report, and agreed to four years for free agency. The report also stated there is also expected to be a stipulation limiting the amount of guaranteed money and signing bonus offered to draft picks.

It appears that they have come to some type of understanding on a rookie wage scale.

/>http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rookie-wage-scale-league-union-agree-report-030811

The NFL wanted first-round picks to sign five-year deals in order to become free agents, but relented, according to the report, and agreed to four years for free agency. The report also stated there is also expected to be a stipulation limiting the amount of guaranteed money and signing bonus offered to draft picks.

Ooh, nice! Thanks for posting that!