Cioffi Leaves for Arizona

HoosierCat

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Cardinals-will-also-hire-DB-coaches-Townsend-Cioffi.html

Ray Horton isn’t heading to the Arizona Cardinals by himself.

DeShea Townsend will be hired to coach the defensive backs, news first reported this morning by Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Townsend isn’t the only hire Horton will get. He’s also bringing with him Louie Cioffi, according to an NFL source.

Cioffi, the Bengals assistant defensive backs coach since 2003, is expected assist with the defensive backfield as well. Townsend and Cioffi are well versed in Dick LeBeau’s defense in Pittsburgh, and the Cardinals are expected to try to emulate what the Steelers have done.

Happy now guys? You all said that there wouldn't be any more changes, now the heads are starting to roll.

Our assistant defensive backs coach - GONE!

The voluntary departure of an assistant isn't a big deal to me. I didn't even know who he was until this news came out. This head rolled because it wanted to.

The voluntary departure of an assistant isn't a big deal to me. I didn't even know who he was until this news came out. This head rolled because it wanted to.

True. The news did raise an eyebrow with me, though. This is by all reports a lateral move -- to Arizona, hardly a gem among franchises, though the weather is nicer. And we know another defensive coach, FitzGerald, was/is looking for another job. Bengals only have like five defensive coaches, so it seems to me worth noting that at least two of them would rather be elsewhere.

And I have to wonder how Kevin Coyle is feeling now that the Bengals blocked him from interviewing for the Philly DC job...

I agree with Hoosier here in that one coach leaves for a lateral promotion, but you block another coach from moving up in the ranks of coaching. I guess in the grand scheme of things it may be very small, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it either. It's all part of the bigger picture with this organization I think.

Happy now guys? You all said that there wouldn't be any more changes, now the heads are starting to roll.

Our assistant defensive backs coach - GONE!

Agreed Billy, I was being a little sarcastic, but I'm horrible at using emoticons. Assistant D-backs coach wasn't exactly the head I was looking for. Alexander.

Cioffi to AZ is now official.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Tuesday-update-Cioffi-official-in-Arizona/764d2950-3ec1-437f-b884-8dba5facbd66

Oh, and in his blog post today Hobson says the team may not replace him, but instead rely on Coyle to pull double-duty. Great, just what the Bengals need, fewer coaching/scouting resources...

Hobson says the team may not replace him, but instead rely on Coyle to pull double-duty. Great, just what the Bengals need, fewer coaching/scouting resources...

JFC, nice job Mike, you probably are overstaffed. Marvin, is this ok with you? You sign a two year deal, and then Mike begins to downsize your already small staff? Ridiculous.

Hobson says the team may not replace him, but instead rely on Coyle to pull double-duty. Great, just what the Bengals need, fewer coaching/scouting resources...

JFC, nice job Mike, you probably are overstaffed. Marvin, is this ok with you? You sign a two year deal, and then Mike begins to downsize your already small staff? Ridiculous.

Well, c'mon, let's be fair, maybe this is what Mikey meant when he promised him "more control." :lol:

Hobson "clarifies" in comments:

As for the coaching thing, I probably didn’t make myself clear. They are going to replace Cioffi, so it’s not about money. But they are probably looking for a guy to replace his off-field skills with the computer, organization, and game plans and relying on Coyle to do the bulk of the on-field coaching. The new guy will still assist him on the field, but he most likely won’t have the responsibilty of the safeties like Cioffi did.

So, if I'm reading this right, Coyle gets a secretary to do data entry, keep his day runner straight and bring him coffee on the sidelines.