CONFIRMED: Brat Fired

membengal

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More from the "Beautifully-Designed-Offense" department on Lance's Blog:

Peter King, SI

Give the Bengals -- yes, the 4-12 Bengals -- credit for doing something right.

Last week, quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who should take a bow alongside Hasselbeck for the offensive explosion, installed a play they'd seen the Bengals run against New Orleans five weeks ago. In it, Cincinnati had the tight end dive to cut block a rushing linebacker, then wait a moment, get up and look for an opening in the Saints' D -- while Carson Palmer and the rest of the offense seemed to be going the other way.

The misdirection play confounded the Saints, and the Seahawks stole it for the game plan Saturday. "We just did a good job of scheming them, and that play's a perfect example,'' Hasselbeck said. "It's the kind of play where you've got two or three guys throwing cut blocks, and you sell run, and it looks terrible, but if you run it right, the tight end ought to be able to get free.'' The Saints were up 17-7 early in the second quarter, but Seattle was driving and at the New Orleans' seven-yard line. Tight end John Carlson flailed away at the feet of safety Roman Harper at the snap of the ball and stayed down to "finish'' the block as Harper watched Hasselbeck fade to the right in the pocket. As Hasselbeck got set to throw, up popped Carlson and he ran left from the line. Harper froze in the middle of the field. With Carlson alone at the goal line, Hasselbeck found him for a touchdown pass the quarterback's 5-year-old son Henry could have thrown. Well, with a Nerf football maybe.

"That could have happened to anybody,'' Hasselbeck said. "It didn't have to be Roman Harper. He's a good player, he just happened to be the guy John blocked.''

http://sportsillustr...card/index.html

Is it possible that they are waiting for a team to get knocked out of the playoffs, so they can speak to their OC?

Could be. But I don't think Mike has any intention of dumping Brat into the NFL unemployment line right now, when even if he finds a team he might not have much of a paycheck if there's a strike/lockout/whatever. For anyone who wants him gone, the best bet is to hope for a quick resolution to the league's labor problems.

Is it possible that they are waiting for a team to get knocked out of the playoffs, so they can speak to their OC?

Could be. But I don't think Mike has any intention of dumping Brat into the NFL unemployment line right now, when even if he finds a team he might not have much of a paycheck if there's a strike/lockout/whatever. For anyone who wants him gone, the best bet is to hope for a quick resolution to the league's labor problems.

Yea i agree with this. I think the lockout has Mike worried so much that he might do nothing. If he gets a new OC or a new offense playbook, and there is no minicamps or training camps, then how is the offense going to learn the new scheme??? This team needs change, and needs it now, i just hope Mike decides to do something fast. Im just afraid this lockout is holding Mike back from making any changes at all.

More from the "Beautifully-Designed-Offense" department on Lance's Blog:

Peter King, SI

Give the Bengals -- yes, the 4-12 Bengals -- credit for doing something right.

Last week, quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who should take a bow alongside Hasselbeck for the offensive explosion, installed a play they'd seen the Bengals run against New Orleans five weeks ago. In it, Cincinnati had the tight end dive to cut block a rushing linebacker, then wait a moment, get up and look for an opening in the Saints' D -- while Carson Palmer and the rest of the offense seemed to be going the other way.

The misdirection play confounded the Saints, and the Seahawks stole it for the game plan Saturday. "We just did a good job of scheming them, and that play's a perfect example,'' Hasselbeck said. "It's the kind of play where you've got two or three guys throwing cut blocks, and you sell run, and it looks terrible, but if you run it right, the tight end ought to be able to get free.'' The Saints were up 17-7 early in the second quarter, but Seattle was driving and at the New Orleans' seven-yard line. Tight end John Carlson flailed away at the feet of safety Roman Harper at the snap of the ball and stayed down to "finish'' the block as Harper watched Hasselbeck fade to the right in the pocket. As Hasselbeck got set to throw, up popped Carlson and he ran left from the line. Harper froze in the middle of the field. With Carlson alone at the goal line, Hasselbeck found him for a touchdown pass the quarterback's 5-year-old son Henry could have thrown. Well, with a Nerf football maybe.

"That could have happened to anybody,'' Hasselbeck said. "It didn't have to be Roman Harper. He's a good player, he just happened to be the guy John blocked.''

http://sportsillustr...card/index.html

Wow look at that Brat did something good this season :lmao:

So i was reading on another board, and somebody wrote that they saw on NFL Network on the bottom ticker that Brat will be the bengals OC in 2011. I watched NFL Network but didnt see anything on this???? Anybody see anything??

Anyways so then i went to Reedys Twitter, and somebody asked what Reedy thought about Brat being fired, and his response was "Not what the fans wanna hear" so im guessing that Brat will be back next year. Im guessing that they are redoing the whole offense again!!!

So i guess we should prepare ourselves for a year of blackouts, and a year of the same old crap. Marvin never came back to make changes, that was a bunch of BS!!! Now i dont know how much to put into all of this, but my hopes are not up anymore, i feel the same staff will be back next year

So i was reading on another board, and somebody wrote that they saw on NFL Network on the bottom ticker that Brat will be the bengals OC in 2011. I watched NFL Network but didnt see anything on this???? Anybody see anything??

Anyways so then i went to Reedys Twitter, and somebody asked what Reedy thought about Brat being fired, and his response was "Not what the fans wanna hear" so im guessing that Brat will be back next year. Im guessing that they are redoing the whole offense again!!!

So i guess we should prepare ourselves for a year of blackouts, and a year of the same old crap. Marvin never came back to make changes, that was a bunch of BS!!! Now i dont know how much to put into all of this, but my hopes are not up anymore, i feel the same staff will be back next year

I haven't seen or heard anything but since last week's press conference and the labor issue hanging over everything, I have resigned my self to the fact that there will minimal change with the staff. I am sure that Mike is worried about the long-term effect of having a new coach or staff members with the potential lock-out looming. However, should things get resolved before the Super Bowl, has the team missed yet another opportunity to better itself?

If everything stays the same, then all I hope for is an honest self-evaluation of the offense, coaches and personnel in an attempt to get back to the success they had in 2009. As much as I was for picking up TO, I think his presence sucked the life out of Chad which is hard to believe. If he is back for one more year, I hope he devotes more time to football than his outside interests. I'd like to think he might have learned something from the disappointment of the 2010 season and what it takes to be a leader and a pro. Be part of the team...come to some of the OTA's and off-season workouts. It can't hurt.

I haven't seen or heard anything but since last week's press conference and the labor issue hanging over everything, I have resigned my self to the fact that there will minimal change with the staff. I am sure that Mike is worried about the long-term effect of having a new coach or staff members with the potential lock-out looming. However, should things get resolved before the Super Bowl, has the team missed yet another opportunity to better itself?

If everything stays the same, then all I hope for is an honest self-evaluation of the offense, coaches and personnel in an attempt to get back to the success they had in 2009. As much as I was for picking up TO, I think his presence sucked the life out of Chad which is hard to believe. If he is back for one more year, I hope he devotes more time to football than his outside interests. I'd like to think he might have learned something from the disappointment of the 2010 season and what it takes to be a leader and a pro. Be part of the team...come to some of the OTA's and off-season workouts. It can't hurt.

I agree with the whole lockout statement, i dont think much will happen unless something gets done.

As far as Chad i have to wonder if TO coming in made it worse for him. I remember in the begining of the season everyone was saying how TO motivated Chad to be a better player, however i beg to differ, and i think it showed this year with his play. At least last year, without another diva beside him he actully put up numbers and i thought play half decent. He still did his stupid Chad talking, but at least i thought he played better. I think TO was a big mistake for him, and actully pushed him back from playing better!!! If Chad is back, then only thing i hope is if they bring in a FA WR that it is somebody who is not a big name, but somebody who will just run the right routes, and catch the ball. Also i hope if Chad is here, he is here from the start.

I hope the CBA thing works out soon, so we can at least see if anything will change! If not then lets hope a different offense scheme will help this team, and they get back to pounding the rock, and get back to that physical type of play which they were better off doing.

I haven't seen or heard anything but since last week's press conference and the labor issue hanging over everything, I have resigned my self to the fact that there will minimal change with the staff.

I feel likewise. Brat will keep his job.

UCLA just hired the 49ers offensive coordinator. That means Norm Chow is out. Could be an option if Bratkowski is fired.

Don't see it happening but if it ment brat being fired I'd take norm in a heart beat.

Palmer actully struggled at USC till Chow came in and installed the quick strike offense, so who knows i would bet Carson would be happy if Chow came on board. I would be happy just because that would mean that Brat is gone.

UCLA just hired the 49ers offensive coordinator. That means Norm Chow is out. Could be an option if Bratkowski is fired.

Don't see it happening but if it ment brat being fired I'd take norm in a heart beat.

Palmer actully struggled at USC till Chow came in and installed the quick strike offense, so who knows i would bet Carson would be happy if Chow came on board. I would be happy just because that would mean that Brat is gone.

Maybe if its Marvin and Carson Chiming something will happen or get Newton Drafted.

I haven't seen or heard anything but since last week's press conference and the labor issue hanging over everything, I have resigned my self to the fact that there will minimal change with the staff.

I feel likewise. Brat will keep his job.

I agree. The OC heading into his 12th year with the team. 2 winning seasons in that span. Only in Cincinnati.

I've been preaching patience but at some point that goes out the window. That point was probably passed earlier in the week, and I agree with each passing day the odds Bratkowski returns improve. Granted, it's still possible they're waiting for other coordinators to shake loose, but I think it's more likely that Bratkowski has survived the behind-closed-doors review and evaluation using the same excuses Hoosier has offered here. Then again, maybe there wasn't anything to discuss. Maybe it really was the plan to use last season as if it were a 21 game preseason schedule. Maybe the talk of changes being made was just a way of buying time when faced with a fanbase that was demanding blood.

Let's face it, we've all criticized the Mike & Marvin press conference that was more about what it didn't say than what it did. But imagine what the fan reaction would have been if the Bengals would have announced that day everything we've learned since. Marvin is coming back for more than one season without getting any significant changes. The decision to keep Chad was made months before it had to be. Brat is almost certainly coming back. And because of those decisions Cedric Benson will probably leave. Even more damning, Carson Palmer now refuses to talk about what's happening.

Sweet Jeebus.

With the conversation turning the way it has, I find myself thinking that there is an understanding that the Bengals are the team I will always root for in the grand scheme of NFL football, but with each passing day, I seem to care less. There's always hope and that's a d*mn good thing, because that's all we will have going into the 2011 season.

Unhappy fan...

I've been preaching patience but at some point that goes out the window. That point was probably passed earlier in the week, and I agree with each passing day the odds Bratkowski returns improve. Granted, it's still possible they're waiting for other coordinators to shake loose, but I think it's more likely that Bratkowski has survived the behind-closed-doors review and evaluation using the same excuses Hoosier has offered here. Then again, maybe there wasn't anything to discuss. Maybe it really was the plan to use last season as if it were a 21 game preseason schedule. Maybe the talk of changes being made was just a way of buying time when faced with a fanbase that was demanding blood.

Let's face it, we've all criticized the Mike & Marvin press conference that was more about what it didn't say than what it did. But imagine what the fan reaction would have been if the Bengals would have announced that day everything we've learned since. Marvin is coming back for more than one season without getting any significant changes. The decision to keep Chad was made months before it had to be. Brat is almost certainly coming back. And because of those decisions Cedric Benson will probably leave. Even more damning, Carson Palmer now refuses to talk about what's happening.

Sweet Jeebus.

In light of this, the ONLY possible upside to this is the Bengals go heavy on RB's in the draft (such as taking Ingram at the top of r2 and a guy like Daniel Thomas in r3/4) and one of them can/will emerge as a real star. Pearman and Scott cannot handle the load, and grabbing a busted up FA or un-drafted college guy will mean the excuse "we HAVE to pass, since the RB's are not so great" will come into play.

If focused on run blocking, the Whit-Mathis-Cook-Williams/Smith-Roland-Collins line CAN win at the point of attack. They MUST get at least TWO RB's in the first 4 rounds. I am believing this even more with every keystroke, given Benson does exit.

I want Brat fired. Could the logic be for Mike Brown that these young receivers, especially Jerome Simpson have had enough of a problem learning Brats system. That learning another one would be too difficult? I'm just trying to see the logic.

It could simply be that if you're a bad team, the pickings for assistants and coordinators are mighty thin.

Sweet Jeebus.

Yep Carson wont even respond to the media about Marvin returing as a coach. I think Carson has had enough in a Bengals uniform. This upcoming year does not sound like its going to be a happy one. Guess we will see what shakes out this year.