CONFIRMED: Brat Fired

membengal

Something interesting i was reading, Sporting News was ranking the OC in the league, and they ranked Brat at #8!!!! Very intersting since we hate him and want him gone, but they sure thought Brat was great. Maybe Marvin is using Brat the wrong way, or maybe its we dont have the players to run a Brat offense????

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something interesting i was reading, Sporting News was ranking the OC in the league, and they ranked Brat at #8!!!! Very interesting since we hate him and want him gone, but they sure thought Brat was great. Maybe Marvin is using Brat the wrong way, or maybe its we dont have the players to run a Brat offense????

And Ron Jaworski said it was a beautifully designed offense. I believe we are missing something. Rudi set the team rushing record in 2004 and Carson set the team passing record in 2006. Obviously he seems to be able to adjust schemes from year to year but I wonder if the O-line is too unsettled with the shift in philosphy from last year to this year.

From Lance's blog from earlier in the week:

Just because I was curious

Play selection by Bob Bratkowski

*Keep in mind the Bengals were playing from behind more in 2010....although....11 games were decided by eight points or less.

3rd and 1.....Rush 65%/Pass 35% in 2010.......81% Rush/Pass 19% in 2009

2nd and 10....Rush 45%/Pass 55% in 2010.....Rush 57%/Pass 43% in 2009

2nd and 9.....Rush 27%/Pass 73% in 2010.....Rush 66%/Pas 34% in 2009

2nd and 5.....Rush 57%/Pas 43% in 2010.......Rush 81%/Pass 19% in 2009

1st and 10....Rush 47%/Pass 53% in 2010.....Rush 56%/Pass 44% in 2009

(NFL GSIS)

Something interesting i was reading, Sporting News was ranking the OC in the league, and they ranked Brat at #8!!!! Very interesting since we hate him and want him gone, but they sure thought Brat was great. Maybe Marvin is using Brat the wrong way, or maybe its we dont have the players to run a Brat offense????

And Ron Jaworski said it was a beautifully designed offense. I believe we are missing something. Rudi set the team rushing record in 2004 and Carson set the team passing record in 2006. Obviously he seems to be able to adjust schemes from year to year but I wonder if the O-line is too unsettled with the shift in philosphy from last year to this year.

From Lance's blog from earlier in the week:

Just because I was curious

Play selection by Bob Bratkowski

*Keep in mind the Bengals were playing from behind more in 2010....although....11 games were decided by eight points or less.

3rd and 1.....Rush 65%/Pass 35% in 2010.......81% Rush/Pass 19% in 2009

2nd and 10....Rush 45%/Pass 55% in 2010.....Rush 57%/Pass 43% in 2009

2nd and 9.....Rush 27%/Pass 73% in 2010.....Rush 66%/Pas 34% in 2009

2nd and 5.....Rush 57%/Pas 43% in 2010.......Rush 81%/Pass 19% in 2009

1st and 10....Rush 47%/Pass 53% in 2010.....Rush 56%/Pass 44% in 2009

(NFL GSIS)

Yea i must be missing something also, i forgot Jaws did say that about the Bengals offense. I think your right though i think it has alot to do with the personel on this team. This team was built to run the ball, and thats what they did in 2009 when they won the division. However they stuggled to pass the ball, so its like all offseason they worked on pass blocking, and how to pass the ball, they forgot how to run the ball.

Marvin said to be successful in the AFC North you have to be able to pound the ball, and this year they forgot how to do so. Instead of being a physical team, they became a finesse team trying to throw the ball. I have to wonder though whose idea this was to do this. Marvin knows how to win in the AFC North so why would he change the offense to something that was not working???

It was obivious the defense suffered because of the offense, and it exposed the defense for what they were. Why at the end of the season did they decide to go back to the run first offense???? All of a sudden they were winning games again, and there defense was looking pretty good again. I understand they were losing in alot of those games, but alot of the games they were only down by a FG or a TD.

So as much as i want Brat gone, or hate his playcalling i still wonder whos idea it was to change the offense when it isnt built to pass all the time, and it won you the division last year. Another thing, players on the field still have to make the plays that are called in by Brat, and all year long they didnt do it. Droped passes, horrible run blocking, average pass blocking, horrilbe routes run by the WR. So if we get a new OC, the players still will have to make plays!

Without Brat being gone, I see little to no change taking place and any that does, will be a result of an easier (at this time) schedule.

It's simply time to bring in something fresh.

With all the seasons Brat has been here, he's had less success than Marvin overall and has only been looked at for HC spots once that I can remember.

If he's not gone, I will hardly be looking forward to this coming season.

I'm not falling into the trap.

BRAT MUST GO!!!!!!! We have seen enough.

So who is to blame for one of the worst seasons ever?!?

Everyone gonna try and put this one on the WR's?

WE ONLY COULD SCORE WHEN IT DIDN'T MATTER!?!?!

THE CLOSE GAMES WERE NOT THAT CLOSE!?! We all watched the games. It was a dismal year full of poor coaching, poor discipline. Poor execution, poor time management, extremely poor play calling, special teams were HORRIBLE.

EVERY SINGLE PLAYER UNDERACHIEVED except for the rookies.

The team was not prepared and if we keep all the coaches the team will not be prepared next year.

The horrible part of all of this is that our record will improve next year. BUT ONLY DUE TO THE EASY SCHEDULE. And everyone will eat it up.

This team is making me sick.

Bungles all the way. We are a laughing stock.

At least the Browns goal is to win and they are trying to make moves to do so.

THE CLOSE GAMES WERE NOT THAT CLOSE!?! We all watched the games. It was a dismal year full of poor coaching, poor discipline. Poor execution, poor time management, extremely poor play calling, special teams were HORRIBLE.

The team was not prepared and if we keep all the coaches the team will not be prepared next year.

The horrible part of all of this is that our record will improve next year. BUT ONLY DUE TO THE EASY SCHEDULE. And everyone will eat it up.

I dont think anybody said anything about a trap??? I still would like to know whos idea it was to change the offense scheme again. This team gets a new idenity every year, its stupid they need to stick to what works!!!! Of course Brat must go, i just hope the grass is greener on the otherside???

If Brat is back i can see alot of empty seats this year at Paul Brown Stadium this year, and alot of Bengals fans taking a break from this team. Alot of respect will be lost.

Agreed. What was the point of Tuesday's circle jerk if nothing's gonna change?

Marvin shoulda signed the contract last year and saved us all a lot of aggravation.

I think Marvin wanted to leave, but i think he finally realized he was not going to get a better offer.

I know MB thought he was not going to get another coach in here with experience, so why not hire Marvin back

Its a match made in heaven, this was the best place for both guys, because they cant do better.

If you ask me, Marvin looks like a guy who was not happy to be back. That press confrense about put me to sleep, and Marvin did not look happy to be back!!! So i guess we will see, but if the coach dosnt want to be here, then how good can they really be!!

Maybe i need a break lol lol!!! Not like anything is going to get better anytime soon :angry:

Of course Brat must go, i just hope the grass is greener on the otherside???

If it doesnt get better with a new OC then at least we know they tried. What they are doing now is keeping status quo.

And status quo hasn't worked.

They lost 12 games this year. It cant get any worse.

Marvin shoulda signed the contract last year and saved us all a lot of aggravation.

I think Marvin wanted to leave, but i think he finally realized he was not going to get a better offer.

I know MB thought he was not going to get another coach in here with experience, so why not hire Marvin back

Its a match made in heaven, this was the best place for both guys, because they cant do better.

If you ask me, Marvin looks like a guy who was not happy to be back. That press confrense about put me to sleep, and Marvin did not look happy to be back!!! So i guess we will see, but if the coach dosnt want to be here, then how good can they really be!!

Maybe i need a break lol lol!!! Not like anything is going to get better anytime soon :angry:

I can never take a break. I have an illness. But I will watch for the comedy instead of the hope of winning.

I can never take a break. I have an illness. But I will watch for the comedy instead of the hope of winning.

I know im with ya lol lol, i could never take a break because im on this board more then anywhere lol!!!!!

Anybody wonder why Carson had no comment at all about Marvin being hired back, im thinking there is more going on in this org. then we even know. I cant help but wonder if Carson does not like Marvin coming back, or if he dosnt like that there has been no change??? Something just seems off about that

I know some people aren't too "keen" on Paul Daugherty around here but I thought his article in tomorrow's paper pretty much captures the essence of the nonsense.

http://news.cincinna...worse-than-ever

Bengals' mess is worse than ever

Brown can't get away with utter indifference to those who love team

The Jim Borgman cartoon is on the wall of my office at home, behind my desk. It is six panels of Mike Brown, the first three of which depict the Bengals president holding a small box and saying this:

"Here's a little present for you from the Bengals. It isn't much.''

"Matter of fact, it isn't anything at all. See? It's empty.''

"No front office shakeup. No coaching overhaul. No free agent bonanzas. No more wins. No plan. No hope."

The other three panels have Mike saying, essentially, "I want my new stadium.''The cartoon has been on my office wall since Dec. 23, 1994.

I know some people aren't too "keen" on Paul Daugherty around here but I thought his article in tomorrow's paper pretty much captures the essence of the nonsense.

http://news.cincinna...worse-than-ever

Bengals' mess is worse than ever

Brown can't get away with utter indifference to those who love team

The Jim Borgman cartoon is on the wall of my office at home, behind my desk. It is six panels of Mike Brown, the first three of which depict the Bengals president holding a small box and saying this:

"Here's a little present for you from the Bengals. It isn't much.''

"Matter of fact, it isn't anything at all. See? It's empty.''

"No front office shakeup. No coaching overhaul. No free agent bonanzas. No more wins. No plan. No hope."

The other three panels have Mike saying, essentially, "I want my new stadium.''The cartoon has been on my office wall since Dec. 23, 1994.

Great article.

From Lance's blog

Things heard

"Near as I can tell, Mike Brown didn't agree to anything Marvin asked for"---Hub Arkush, Publisher, Pro Football Weekly, on 700 WLW

LOL well then i guess Marvin just couldnt do any better then here. Marvin caved into whatever Mike wanted, and now it looks like next year will be just as good as this year. LOL what a joke!

From Lance's blog

Things heard

"Near as I can tell, Mike Brown didn't agree to anything Marvin asked for"---Hub Arkush, Publisher, Pro Football Weekly, on 700 WLW

LOL well then i guess Marvin just couldnt do any better then here. Marvin caved into whatever Mike wanted, and now it looks like next year will be just as good as this year. LOL what a joke!

How could you expect anything different? Brat will be back. Chad will be back, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Terrell Owens back either! Carson will be back staring down his receivers and throwing pick sixes, and the offensive line still will be unable to sustain the running game.

Jesus... the looming lockout may be a blessing is disguise.

3rd and 1.....Rush 65%/Pass 35% in 2010.......81% Rush/Pass 19% in 2009 Down 16%

2nd and 10....Rush 45%/Pass 55% in 2010.....Rush 57%/Pass 43% in 2009 Down 12%

2nd and 9.....Rush 27%/Pass 73% in 2010.....Rush 66%/Pas 34% in 2009 Down 39%

2nd and 5.....Rush 57%/Pas 43% in 2010.......Rush 81%/Pass 19% in 2009Down 24%

1st and 10....Rush 47%/Pass 53% in 2010.....Rush 56%/Pass 44% in 2009 Down 9%

If you ask me that's some unforgivable s**t right there, especially the numbers on 3rd and 1, 2nd and 5, and 1st and 10. People can talk about the shift towards passing in todays NFL all they want, but football is still football and putting your offense in a position where it faces managable situations on 3rd down is still a priority. Yet all of that went out the window this year despite this team having better overall talent than it had in 2009. Or if you prefer, it went out the window precisely because it had better overall talent.

And Ron Jaworski said it was a beautifully designed offense. I believe we are missing something.

I don't think we're missing anything because there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the design. In fact, the Bengals have been pretty close the cutting edge of innovations like heavy formations and using TE's as FB's....things you see often when watching successful teams, including Atlanta. This seasons failure was rooted in horrible gameplanning and unbalanced playcalling, as the above stats hint at. Most damning is those playcalling stats were compiled over a full season, and aren't single game adjustments made due to a specific opponents defensive strengths. Rather, they demonstrate how this teams coaching staff wanted to attack week in and week out all season long.

From Lance's blog

Things heard

Yup. And if reports about his salary are correct I'm guessing he didn't even get a pay raise.

But I'm still manning my post on Brat watch, clinging to my hope that things were stalled until the Senior Bowl assignments were handed out. That, and Marvin's refusal to say whether or not Brat would be back and his admission that if he were let go it would represent a huge change.

If Jaworski and others think Brat's so good then they must think our personnel really sucks 'cause we've been in the bottom third of the league now for three straight years.

Just watching these playoffs, three differences jump out at me.

1) Playoff teams run fakes, play action and misdirection. A Bratkowski offense rarely tries to fool the defense. His offense consists of handoffs to the RB and dropback passes

2) Playoff team offenses execute flawlessly. Rarely do false starts or delay of game penalties derail drives

3) Playoff teams throw a lot of dumpoffs to their RBs often times moving the chains and tends to force the defense to play up a little bit more. Brat rarely does this

All in all, I think Brat was a much better coordinator 10 yrs ago. It's time to move on

Again, not sure if anyone saw the sports show after the news last night with Hobson and Reedy on together.

When asked directly about Brat coming back, Hobson gave some spin about "IF" Brat comes back, he knows he's going to have to tear up the offensive playbook. I was like, "Really?" that's something we've never heard before. Then Reedy simply gave the thought process that he feels something more is going to happen and people have to respect the process and give it some time. He seemed to think it would probably happen.

Again, not sure if anyone saw the sports show after the news last night with Hobson and Reedy on together.

When asked directly about Brat coming back, Hobson gave some spin about "IF" Brat comes back, he knows he's going to have to tear up the offensive playbook. I was like, "Really?" that's something we've never heard before. Then Reedy simply gave the thought process that he feels something more is going to happen and people have to respect the process and give it some time. He seemed to think it would probably happen.

If Brat agreed to tear up the playbook the idea of him staying might seem more tolerable to some, but doing so would be an admission that last season was wasted in regards to rebuilding the Bengals passing game. (Not completely wasted, but mostly wasted.)

As for Reedy, I think he's become the best local source for Bengal related news and opinions almost by default.