Blaming It All On Chad and T.O.

COB

Rob Oller, Columbus Dispatch columnist and reporter, noticed that our team underwent "sissification" (his word), and went searching for the cause.

/>http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/12/20/bengals-win-features-more-substance-than-drama.html?sid=101

CINCINNATI - In boob tube programming parlance, this was Gunsmoke football, the kind of no-nonsense retro show that led the Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffs last season. Missing was the ridiculous reality TV drama that has come to define the marketing franchise of Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco.

Those two, who at times seem more interested in their The T.Ocho Show than in their day jobs, were nonfactors yesterday as Cincinnati ran the down Cleveland's throat in a 19-17 win that snapped a 10-game losing streak.

Owens suffered a knee injury before halftime and did not return. Ochocinco tweaked his tender ankle and was limited to two catches. In their absence, the Bengals (3-11) gave the ball to Cedric Benson a season-high 31 times, and he rewarded them by rushing for 150 yards and a touchdown. Cincinnati's 45 rushing attempts trumped the season high by eight and were nearly 16 more than average.

The Browns (5-9), meanwhile, struggled on both sides of the ball, but particularly against the run. They played with the urgency of a postcard snowfall. Losing to the Bengals is no way to quiet speculation that coach Eric Mangini will lose his job if Cleveland does not close the season with a win or two, which now seems unlikely with Baltimore and Pittsburgh still up.

The Browns rushed for just 59 yards, all by Peyton Hillis, and while they were a recovered onside kick away from possibly pulling out the 75th meeting between the two teams, in the end it goes down as the second straight loss to a bad team, following last week's 13-6 sleepwalk against Buffalo.

Making matters worse for Mangini was how Cleveland lost this one. The Bengals beat the Browns at their own game by pounding the ball and stopping the run.

That's the basic summation, so basic that Benson finds it hard to believe the Bengals have missed the message. Cincinnati averaged 32 attempts and 127 yards rushing in building a 9-4 record at this point last season. Those numbers have dipped to 24.5 and 84.3, respectively, in part because the offense has more receiving weapons, including rookies Jordan Shipley and Jermaine Gresham. But quarterback Carson Palmer has struggled at times to find those weapons, who also have struggled to run the right routes.

All the while, Benson has done a slow burn.

"There is no doubt I was disappointed," he said of a season well past the brink. "Did we not do it right (last season) and find a formula that would work?"

Benson knows full well the answer to that. He is frustrated. He wants the ball more often than the Bengals have given it to him.

"But if people are unaware of the obvious, I have no control over that," he said.

The obvious - Cincinnati is 41-23 under coach Marvin Lewis when rushing for at least 100 yards - has been obscured this season because of the sideshow that is T.O. and Ochocinco. The receivers do produce. Owens came in ranked fourth in the AFC with 72 catches, Ochocinco was sixth with 65. But they also produce silliness, mixed with selfishness, which is the antithesis of trench football.

Don't think the majority of players don't know it. A football team is like a family, and in many instances the more serious family members grow tired of the siblings who constantly seek attention.

Yesterday, the show-offs were the equivalent of sick in bed, leaving adults to run the show.

"This was last-year football," offensive tackle Anthony Collins said. "This was grown-man football."

Benson tackled the sensitive subject of the sissification of Cincinnati's offense with a wink-wink of a smile.

"Chad and T.O. weren't in today, so we were able to just play football," he said. "There was no 'gotta get him the ball.'"

And by "him," Benson was not referring to himself.

"I'm too real to be on a reality show," he said.

Zing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Chad and T.O. weren't in today, so we were able to just play football," he said. "There was no 'gotta get him the ball.'"

Zing.

Thank goodness

Finally, it was said, what needed to be said

I'll bring the tar, you bring the feathers, and we'll finish the job of running the clowns out of town

Zing.

Thank goodness

I'll bring the tar, you bring the feathers, and we'll finish the job of running the clowns out of town

I got the rail.

Zing.

Thank goodness

Was Mr. Obvious a character on Batman? If he was, then Cedric Benson should get the role. He plays it well.

Even with his game Sunday, Benson is only averaging 3.6 yards per carry.......Maybe they would have run a lot more had you not been averaging 3.49 yards per carry the first 13 games....AND THESE 3 FACTS.

***FACT: Cedric's 3.6 average is THE WORST IN THE NFL AMONG THE TOP 36 RUSHERS!!!!! You have to go all the way down to #37 (Rookie Jahvid Best) to find a RB with fewer Yards Per Carry

***FACT: Among the NFL's Top 23 Rushers, Cedric Benson (2) has the FEWEST runs of 20+ yards. His season Long of 26 yards is also the Worst among the Top 23.

***FACT: Ced is 2nd in the NFL in FUMBLES, behind Peyton Hillis

I honestly don't see how he can complain. He is 7th in the NFL in Carries.....Dude, you are 7th in Attempts, it's not like you aren't getting your touches, IT'S THAT YOU AREN'T DOING SH*T WITH THEM....WTF is he b*tching about? Really?

I don't get it? i really don't? Who thinks these are greats stats?

Here's hoping we can draft a RB as well.

*One more interesting little bit of information.....If you take the NFL's Top 50 Rushers in terms of yardage, Cedric's 3.6 avg ranks 45th among the Top 50.

Even with his game Sunday, Benson is only averaging 3.6 yards per carry.......Maybe they would have run a lot more had you not been averaging 3.49 yards per carry the first 13 games....AND THESE 3 FACTS.

***FACT: Cedric's 3.6 average is THE WORST IN THE NFL AMONG THE TOP 36 RUSHERS!!!!! You have to go all the way down to #37 (Rookie Jahvid Best) to find a RB with fewer Yards Per Carry

***FACT: Among the NFL's Top 23 Rushers, Cedric Benson (2) has the FEWEST runs of 20+ yards. His season Long of 26 yards is also the Worst among the Top 23.

I honestly don't see how he can complain. He is 7th in the NFL in Carries.....Dude, you are 7th in Attempts, it's not like you aren't getting your touches, IT'S THAT YOU AREN'T DOING SH*T WITH THEM....WTF is he b*tching about? Really?

*One more interesting little bit of information.....If you take the NFL's Top 50 Rushers in terms of yardage, Cedric's 3.6 avg ranks 45th among the Top 50.

****Fact we wearn't using as many true running formations the past 13 games Until this week where Chris.P played in Half of the offensive snaps.

The more pertinent question is do you offer Ced a contract after the season and if so, how much? I think we all can agree we don't break the bank for him but how much is he worth?

As with Jerome Simpson, I'd like to see what we have with the other Cedric, Peerman

The fact that this administraion is not doing stuff like playing these guys when you're 2-11 is more evidence of how clueless they are

The fact that this administraion is not doing stuff like playing these guys when you're 2-11 is more evidence of how clueless they are

How true. Bratkowski probably feels like he's coaching for his job, so he stays with his starters instead of trying to evaluate talent. Marvin should step in and force this, force the unproven guys into the lineup to give them a chance to show what they can do.

I don't care about this s**t. When we run the ball, we win. When we try to throw all the time, we lose.

We've all got eyes, and at least to my eyes Ced is a good running back who gets yards after the first contact, runs hard, blocks, etc.

I don't care about this s**t. When we run the ball, we win. When we try to throw all the time, we lose.

We've all got eyes, and at least to my eyes Ced is a good running back who gets yards after the first contact, runs hard, blocks, etc.

Agreed. I think Carson has thrown for 300 yards a handful of times and has a losing record in those games. I know the ability to run the ball is a by-product of how well your defense is playing and ours got behind in some of the earlier games, but.....it's like we panicked all season instead of remaining patient and picking our spots to pass.

The line was designed to run the ball (with or without Andre Smith) and for some reason we chose not to. I think Marvin was too hands off in that area. If we win three of those close games by running a little more, I'd say we wouldn't be happy but 6-8 feels a lot better than 3-11.

Yep. You've also got to consider the gameplan Brat has been putting out there. 3WR sets or the TE split out wide nearly 75% of the time? Not exactly a formation that favors a productive running game.

Its funny how Ced blames Chad and Ocho for asking for the ball when he is doing the exact same thing.

Also, If the coaches have their gameplan changed because two 2 wr and a running back are whining for carries, then they need to go.

I agree with Bengalpimp - Ced Wasn't complaining about touches with his crucial fumbles lost.

Im very curious when Chad is gone who is gonna be the fall guy.

Running backs are a dime a dozen. I am ok if he walks. Please dont overpay,(over-commit) there are many out there. The OLine makes the RB. I like Ced, but not for a ton of money.

Now a good WR is not easy to find. IMO

Its funny how Ced blames Chad and Ocho for asking for the ball when he is doing the exact same thing.

You noticed that too, eh?

Im very curious when Chad is gone who is gonna be the fall guy.

Probably Palmer.

Mike Brown will always be there.

Just because I'm blaming our crappy season on Chad, T.O., and Brat, doesn't mean they aren't actually to blame.

Running backs are a dime a dozen. I am ok if he walks. Please dont overpay,(over-commit) there are many out there. The OLine makes the RB. I like Ced, but not for a ton of money.

Now a good WR is not easy to find. IMO

C'mon.

Argument can be made both ways.

Steven Jackson does not have much of a line, nor does Frank Gore.

How about the WR's for Brady... or most recently Manning? Or Cutler. Lots of dime-a-dozen guys and weak O-lines can be found to prove both points.

This team is weakest at the coaching position, for starters. There is nothing wrong with Benson. We know what is wrong with Chad (his brain, and age is catching up), so behind him is simply too weak a group to ignore drafting a WR. They skipped Dez Bryant for Gresham, so there's that. Yes, Gresham has played well, depsite fumbles and penalties, and one can argue that given the amount of touches a TE gets, you can find on who can do 95% of what Gresham can do on the FA market. When they get a chance at another blue chip WR (Green) they should take him.

Coaching a highly pass focused offense begets Palmer floundering. Palmer floundering begets running the ball poorly. Running the ball poorly begets aneven greater focus on passing.

Its a vicious cycle that started when the Bengals (Palmer) could not get virtually any productivity out of Coles and Chad down the stretch and into the playoffs last year. Aside from Chad smoking Cromartie in SD late last year, they struggled.

TO will be gone. Chad could be also. Green is the obvious choice only if they get a new OC. If Brat stays, then focus on the defense, because no matter who they draft, they will ruin the players and its going to suck donkey balls.

Just because I'm blaming our crappy season on Chad, T.O., and Brat, doesn't mean they aren't actually to blame.

But to blame for what, being themselves? The old parable about the fox and the scorpion who wants to cross the river comes to mind.

That other fellow you mentioned, though, now there's someone who could actually do something about all this. First step to stopping the losing would be to quit keeping losers on the payroll. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe this time he'll surprise me.

As to Brat, how in the world could he possibly keep his job? Is there anyone in all of Bengaldom who thinks he's done an adequate job? No one I've talked to. If he's back, it will be an outrage.

No argument here. Brat is married to his downfield passing "chunks" game and will be just as happy to throw all day to the likes of Green and Simpson as he was to Ocho and TO. Question is, does the FO bring in someone with a different attitude, or just another mad bomber?

"But if people are unaware of the obvious, I have no control over that." --- Cedric Benson

I'm now looking directly at Hoosier, Pimp, and after donning protective glasses....the Fat Old Sun. Point blank, if you guys haven't gotten it by now you never will.

For those of you who attempt to blast Benson for demanding the ball...keep in mind he wasn't alone. Anthony Collins remarks are just as strong as Benson's, as were Andrew Whitworths postgame remarks, not included in the article. For those who missed it, Whitworth referred to Benson as "The Bossman" and was clearly thrilled by the return to last years Smashball strategy. In fact, taken as a whole the only thing remarkable about the things Benson said is the way they point to a sharply divided lockerroom.

Last point. I've stumbled over lots of fans posts that attempt to compare Benson's remarks to those delivered earlier by Owens and the Ocho. Most claim Benson is simply doing the same thing as those guys. Well that's just ridiculous. By claiming they didn't know what the problem is and further claiming that the responsibility is shared from top to bottom Owens and Ocho actually managed to create a media storm by saying nothing. And the reason they said nothing is because they don't dare speak the truth. Meanwhile, Benson and others are pointing directly at the root cause of this seasons failure as well as the players most responsible.

Huge difference.

I don't think they are the same thing. One has to look at what is unsaid in both requests for the ball.

In Chad and T.O., it's "throw me the ball, so I can get on sportscenter, get more viewers for my reality show, feed my insatiable ego, and just generally glorify the fabulousness that is me. We'll lose the game but who cares?"

In Ced's case, it's, "hand me the ball so we can grind their defense down, keep their offense off the field, and win the game."

Does anyone honestly doubt the above interpretation of the motives of those 3 players? Ced's the farthest thing from an attention whore. He just wants to win, get another contract, and go through life ugly.

Why were the Cleveland defenders laying on the turf at PBS Sunday, bruised, trampled, and humiliated? It wasn't because Chad caught a TD, posed for 30 seconds, pulled a prop out of the goal post, proposed to a cheerleader, etc.

As soon as our two prima donnas got sent to the locker room to admire each other or twitter or whatever, things suddenly got very real on the floor at Paul Brown Stadium.