What's your QB plan?

walzav29

90% of the football universe says Palmers finished. I DO NOT. Yes, he has made bad decisions and it is hard to defend him. But what is your plan? Let's say they release him after the season to save money. Then we draft a qb? The Bengals won't have a top 5 pick, so what QB is a sure fire lock? Free agency? Alex Smith? Kyle Orton? Matt Hasselbeck? I want to hear this super quarterback plan that everyone seems to have. Show me what you got!

90% of the football universe says Palmers finished. I DO NOT. Yes, he has made bad decisions and it is hard to defend him. But what is your plan? Let's say they release him after the season to save money. Then we draft a qb? The Bengals won't have a top 5 pick, so what QB is a sure fire lock? Free agency? Alex Smith? Kyle Orton? Matt Hasselbeck? I want to hear this super quarterback plan that everyone seems to have. Show me what you got!

Run the option?

Seriously, this is one additional downside to not having even a serviceable backup - there's nobody looking over the starter's shoulder to motivate him. You listen to Palmer in interviews, and he's calm. To me, too calm. He seems confident that things are OK, that it's just one bad game, etc. Actually, he (and his receivers) keep making the same mistakes over and over.

I don't see any indication that Carson gets that the problem that there are major fundamental issues that need to be fixed. Or if he does, he's putting on a great act in press conferences.

I (like many others) want a new OC. I also want a new QB coach who can 'fix' Carson. I do agree that with a pretty good defense, this ain't the time to blow up the offense completely if it can be helped.

90% of the football universe says Palmers finished.

I've always felt rather comfortable within the 10% crowd.

Put me in the camp that agrees with Charlie Casserly. The one that admits Palmer is playing poorly, if not stupidly, but believes the greater share of blame rests with the players who surround him and the coaches who dictate the gameplan. So by default my imaginary plan is based upon firing coaches and changing strategies, not replacing the QB.

But I would trade Chad immediately, and for less than previously discussed.

It all depends on who we could bring in on the coaching staff. I'd be fine with multiple options that are out there.

1: Draft a QB. This is a really good class, the type that only rolls around once per decade usually. There's three guys being heavily scouted that are likely to go in the top 10 and I do think we'll end up drafting in the top 10. Those are Andrew Luck, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett. I would be fine grabbing one of them, sitting him behind a journeymen for a season then turning the offense over to them. There are also a couple mid to late 1st rounders in Nick Foles and Christian Ponder. If we could get a WCO coach and coordinator in here Ponder would be a good choice.

2: Free agency. Aside from grabbing a stopgap for rookie to learn under your only real option looks to be Kyle Orton. While unspectacular looking Orton knows how to make plays and at this point in time is a better QB than Palmer. If we go with a run first/run heavy coaching staff I would be fine with Orton coming in.

3: Trying to fix Palmer. This one.... I'm not sure that you CAN fix Palmer. He's obviously scared to death in the pocket, his throwing motion is deteriorating and the other major issue is he's locking onto his targets, not going through his progressions. That MAY be fixable, though i'm not sure the elbow can be. Nor am I sure that you can fix his fear of being sacked. What you would be looking at is investing most of the salary cap into the O.L. for the mental, grabbing a whole slew of 6'4" WR's, getting him to stop locking onto his target while hoping all of those things compensate for his elbow.

That would be alot of money, time and effort invested into one player, a 32 year old who at an absolute best has 4 more years here. It might be better to invest into a 22 year old player who if groomed properly has over a decade here.

Carson's not finished.

This team is implementing a new offense, and it's not going well so far. I'm not saying it will go any better in the future, but they're all, except Ced, playing like crap.

And that makes sense, because running back is a notoriously easy position to learn in any given offense. Think about rookies coming into the league. Linemen have a tough time learning, recievers take some time, tight end must be challenging as hell. But running backs can come in and start their rookie year and usually have a pretty good grasp on their duties.

Carson definitely needs to get his head out of his ass.

I don't think Palmer is finished either. He might make a mid career turnaround like Ken Anderson and Boomer both did after experiencing a lull or he might never find it again like Drew Bledsoe. It's up to him but I am sure he will have chances to turn it around. Wish I knew for sure if he will but only Miss Cleo knows...

I don't think Palmer is finished either. He might make a mid career turnaround like Ken Anderson and Boomer both did after experiencing a lull or he might never find it again like Drew Bledsoe. It's up to him but I am sure he will have chances to turn it around. Wish I knew for sure if he will but only Miss Cleo knows...

Miss Cleo is a Fake.......As I have mentioned many times before...the only 'True" psychic is.....The Magic 8 Ball

magic8ball-verylikely.jpg

Carson's not finished.

This team is implementing a new offense, and it's not going well so far. I'm not saying it will go any better in the future, but they're all, except Ced, playing like crap.

I agree about Carson, but Ced was playing like crap too. Take out Sundays game, and he was averaging 65.5 Yards Per Game with an average of 3.2 Yards Per Carry in the first 4 games.....Let me repeat that....3.2 yards per carry....NO STARTER averages 3.2...Even now after Sundays game he is still averaging a pedestrian 3.9......But he's not the QB, so he won't get blamed for sh*t....but he needs to step his game up too......Everybody does...no exceptions

lefevour_dan.jpg

Right there it is. You had to know Mike Brown was enthralled with the ascendency of the MAC quarterback in the NFL, for the obvious economic reasons.

So in the wake of Ben, Bywrong Leftwich, Chad Pennington, and Tony Romo, Mike picks up a pretty solid prospect the easiest and cheapest way possible.

Just the fact that they gave this guy a roster spot tells me they are hoping to develop him into a starter. They probably figure they can let him sit for at least two years, maybe more, and that by then he'll be whatever it is he's going to be. If it turns out to be a starter, great. If not, what have they lost?

I think in the minds of the Benagls' braintrust, Dan Lefevour is the QB plan down the road. Unlike some on here, they probably don't have any plans to trade or cut Carson.

All of these threads about how to fix the QB, how about some threads about whats wrong the starting WR, or whats wrong with the game calling, or how about what if the o-line gave Palmer passing lanes to throw in?

Sure Palmer has had some crappy throws, but i ask how about the WR actully catch the balls that hit them in there hands?

How about instead of complaining about a PI call, they actully put some effort into catching the ball?

How about they actully run the right routes, and actully get on the same page with Palmer?

How about the WR actully get seperation from the defense?

How about they actully use the TE who seems to catch everything Palmer throws, like maybe let him spit the defense?

How about they actully run the ball, so that they can use the play action pass?

How about they put there best O-Linemen on the field to give Palmer passing lanes so he can step up and throw it, instead of getting his arm hit making the pass short or intercepted?

Palmer does have bad passes, but i think its alot more then just him, look at whats around him i dont see this team performing at a very high level. If everyone did there job, and actully put some effort and stopped making stupid mistakes, who knows maybe Palmer will be good.

There is no plan because Carson isn't going anywhere. I can't find any reason to get rid of him when you can name at least 3 other issues that should be addressed before the thought of canning Carson happens.

How about:

Trying a new OC ?? Brat (good or bad in your mind) has worn out his usefulness to me and a fresh start would be pleasant.

Getting o-lineman that aren't UDFA's and able to pass block for Carson ?? Sure there are OL guys to be had later, we just suck at it.

Finding WR's that care enough to work on actually catching the d*mn ball ??

So for me, put me in the 10% that would love to see the above at least attempted prior to placing it all on Carson and showing him the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this for all the people screaming for Carson's head just 2 weeks ago. I mean, the guy runs the no-huddle damn near all game, throws for 412 yards and 3 TD's with 0 INT and "Only" completed 72% of his passes....

See what happens when Carson calls they plays and not BRATKOWSKI?

What's your Offensive Coordinator Plan?????